Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Old is This Thing?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

How Old is This Thing?

Full disclosure: I'm an age of the Earth agnostic - I don't think anyone knows and I'm dubious that it can be known.

But I like to be reasonable so I was wondering, what are the best arguments for the Y or O?

Thanks!

2. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Full disclosure: I'm an age of the Earth agnostic - I don't think anyone knows and I'm dubious that it can be known.

But I like to be reasonable so I was wondering, what are the best arguments for the Y or O?

Thanks!
    For a YEC position I recommend looking here. http://creation.com/
    There is a lot to go through though, everything from what the Hebrew in Genesis means, to why the consensus interpretations of the evidence aren't accepted. The key articles page under the "Topics" list is probably a good start though.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post

Thanks!
    I am not agnostic, I believe in an Old Earth, but I do not see any faith related issues of significance involved. I believe it because "all" scientific evidence points in that direction. I struggled with the issue because I could not reconcile my understanding of the Genesis creation account with all the evidence. I decided to accept both and let it go at that. Then I ran into Hugh Ross from Reasons to Believe. My understanding of the creation account was based only upon what I had heard and rejected as a kid. Hugh Ross read the same creation account and interpreted it very differently. He said something to the effect that; it matched very well what he had learned as a student of science.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I always go back to the cross.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

6. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I always go back to the cross.
    The problem is the Good News doesn't make sense unless you know the bad news first.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    The problem is the Good News doesn't make sense unless you know the bad news first.
    But I don't need to know WHEN the bad news happened, just that it did.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

9. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But I don't need to know WHEN the bad news happened, just that it did.
    True, but much of what is being taught as fact would make it so that the bad news never happened, or wasn't nearly as bad as the NT authors depict it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    True, but much of what is being taught as fact would make it so that the bad news never happened, or wasn't nearly as bad as the NT authors depict it.
    For example?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For example?
    For example it's being taught there were no Adam and Eve. It's being said by many that they were some kind of "myth". These are usually tied to evolution though.

Old earth views would have death before any possible date for Adam and Eve(the genealogies in Genesis can only be stretched so far). Both of these take away from what Christ taught, and what the other NT authors taught. If death is not the wages of sin, then what did Christ save us from? This is just a small sample of the kind of problems you encounter when trying to fit certain modern ideas into the Bible.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For example it's being taught there were no Adam and Eve. It's being said by many that they were some kind of "myth". These are usually tied to evolution though.

Old earth views would have death before any possible date for Adam and Eve(the genealogies in Genesis can only be stretched so far). Both of these take away from what Christ taught, and what the other NT authors taught. If death is not the wages of sin, then what did Christ save us from? This is just a small sample of the kind of problems you encounter when trying to fit certain modern ideas into the Bible.
    Ah... gotcha.