Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Backdoor Attack On Guns Rights...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Another Backdoor Attack On Guns Rights...

Does this mean that you could sue a car company if one intentionally killed people with their car?

Democrats in Congress introduced legislation Tuesday that seeks to repeal legal protections for firearm manufacturers, opening the door for shooting victims to sue companies that create firearms.

What are the details?
    The bill, titled, "The Equal Access to Justice for Victims of Gun Violence Act," seeks to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, a 2005 law that immunizes the firearm industry from civil liability in both state and federal courts.

"[The bill] will allow civil cases to go forward against irresponsible actors in state and federal courts, just as they would if they involved any other product. Letting courts hear these cases would provide victims of gun violence their day in court," reads a press release about the bill.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/democr...l-repeal-plcaa
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The standard argument is "because killing somebody with the gun is using it for its intended purpose" (an argument I find unconvincing).

I think the manufacturer should be in the clear if sales included receiving a disclaimer that one must secure the weapon and not use it in the course of committing any crimes.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think the manufacturer should be in the clear if sales included receiving a disclaimer that one must secure the weapon and not use it in the course of committing any crimes.
    We wouldn't say that with cars for instance.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Are you referring to my post or your original post there?
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The standard argument is "because killing somebody with the gun is using it for its intended purpose" (an argument I find unconvincing).

I'm not sure that disclaimer would necessarily work....If it's worded incorrectly, then shooting someone committing a crime would be "using it for it's intended purpose" and would still allow those shot to sue. IIRC, there are many states that do not allow someone to profit from a crime? So maybe that would negate it...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    (I don't know this answer....) if you leave your keys in the ignition and the car unlocked, you could not be sued for negligence if someone stole it and the was killed or killed someone else?
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    (I don't know this answer....) if you leave your keys in the ignition and the car unlocked, you could not be sued for negligence if someone stole it and the was killed or killed someone else?
    Right but you wouldn't sue the car maker!

9. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The last few guns I purchased included all kinds of safety instructions and disclaimers, plus a trigger lock, a toll-free number for assistance on safety... While I knew at the time that I was buying a FIREARM, not a nerf football, I coudln't help but note the lengths to which the gun manufacturer and seller were going to make sure I was aware I was buying something that could be very dangerous, and even deadly.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Yes, and, personally, I have no problem with holding a negligent gun owner responsible for their negligence.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The last few guns I purchased included all kinds of safety instructions and disclaimers, plus a trigger lock, a toll-free number for assistance on safety... While I knew at the time that I was buying a FIREARM, not a nerf football, I coudln't help but note the lengths to which the gun manufacturer and seller were going to make sure I was aware I was buying something that could be very dangerous, and even deadly.
    This has been my experience as well.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.