Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Backdoor Attack On Guns Rights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Backdoor Attack On Guns Rights...

Does this mean that you could sue a car company if one intentionally killed people with their car?

Democrats in Congress introduced legislation Tuesday that seeks to repeal legal protections for firearm manufacturers, opening the door for shooting victims to sue companies that create firearms.

What are the details?
    The bill, titled, "The Equal Access to Justice for Victims of Gun Violence Act," seeks to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, a 2005 law that immunizes the firearm industry from civil liability in both state and federal courts.

"[The bill] will allow civil cases to go forward against irresponsible actors in state and federal courts, just as they would if they involved any other product. Letting courts hear these cases would provide victims of gun violence their day in court," reads a press release about the bill.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/democr...l-repeal-plcaa
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The standard argument is "because killing somebody with the gun is using it for its intended purpose" (an argument I find unconvincing).

I think the manufacturer should be in the clear if sales included receiving a disclaimer that one must secure the weapon and not use it in the course of committing any crimes.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I think the manufacturer should be in the clear if sales included receiving a disclaimer that one must secure the weapon and not use it in the course of committing any crimes.
      We wouldn't say that with cars for instance.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Are you referring to my post or your original post there?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The standard argument is "because killing somebody with the gun is using it for its intended purpose" (an argument I find unconvincing).

I'm not sure that disclaimer would necessarily work....If it's worded incorrectly, then shooting someone committing a crime would be "using it for it's intended purpose" and would still allow those shot to sue. IIRC, there are many states that do not allow someone to profit from a crime? So maybe that would negate it...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

(I don't know this answer....) if you leave your keys in the ignition and the car unlocked, you could not be sued for negligence if someone stole it and the was killed or killed someone else?
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              (I don't know this answer....) if you leave your keys in the ignition and the car unlocked, you could not be sued for negligence if someone stole it and the was killed or killed someone else?
              Right but you wouldn't sue the car maker!

Comment

The last few guns I purchased included all kinds of safety instructions and disclaimers, plus a trigger lock, a toll-free number for assistance on safety... While I knew at the time that I was buying a FIREARM, not a nerf football, I coudln't help but note the lengths to which the gun manufacturer and seller were going to make sure I was aware I was buying something that could be very dangerous, and even deadly.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  Yes, and, personally, I have no problem with holding a negligent gun owner responsible for their negligence.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    The last few guns I purchased included all kinds of safety instructions and disclaimers, plus a trigger lock, a toll-free number for assistance on safety... While I knew at the time that I was buying a FIREARM, not a nerf football, I coudln't help but note the lengths to which the gun manufacturer and seller were going to make sure I was aware I was buying something that could be very dangerous, and even deadly.
                    This has been my experience as well.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

The only time a gun manufacturer should be held liable is if there is a manufacturing defect that they should have or did know about and it causes the gun to misfire and kill someone.

This is nothing but grandstanding, it would never pass, but the democrats can say "see we want to help you but the republicans wont' let us!"

Even if such a bill passed into law, it would be struck down the by the justice system. There is no conceivable way you can blame the manufacturer for someone using their product illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Even if such a bill passed into law, it would be struck down the by the justice system.
                        I don't trust emotional juries...

Comment

I don't trust emotional juries...
                          Wouldn't have to. If it even got to a trial, it would probably be appealed up to SCOTUS and overturned.

Comment

Ah looking at the bill:
                            https://schiff.house.gov/imo/media/doc/One-pager.pdf

They are being really sneaky. They are not trying to pass a new law, but to repeal an old one. The one that protects firearm manufacturers from frivolous civil suits. The goal is that once repealed the firearms manufacturers would be inundated with frivolous suits, which even if the plaintiffs didn't have a chance to win, would cost the gun manufacturers so much that they would either be driven out of business or would have to charge so much for their guns that no one could afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Ah looking at the bill:
                              https://schiff.house.gov/imo/media/doc/One-pager.pdf

They are being really sneaky. They are not trying to pass a new law, but to repeal an old one. The one that protects firearm manufacturers from frivolous civil suits. The goal is that once repealed the firearms manufacturers would be inundated with frivolous suits, which even if the plaintiffs didn't have a chance to win, would cost the gun manufacturers so much that they would either be driven out of business or would have to charge so much for their guns that no one could afford them.
                              Kinda like suing the cake baker over and over, even if you lose, it costs him money to defend himself.

Comment