Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Jim Acosta has 'never witnessed' news outlets trying 'to damage one particular party'

  1. #41
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,982
    Amen (Given)
    6504
    Amen (Received)
    6326
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    A lot of media these days is "news and commentary" with a heavy emphasis on the latter. I don't need anyone to "analyze" the news for me. Just report the straight facts and let me figure it out on my own!
    Yeah, but even without commentary, it's often selective so that a narrative is structured to the biases of the demographic. And that's true whether it's about politics or about the latest murder/kidnapping type story. And then, when they get an outsider to come in to give some perspective, it's either someone from their own camp, or someone from the other camp who has a hard time stringing two sentences together without sounding like a complete lunatic. It's just so dishonest. I know it's nothing new, but it's irritating. If I listen to the news, I try to get a least three sources before I determine I know the truth. That means listening to NPR in the morning, watching Fox News while at the gym, and then reading the Associated Press or the Christian Science Monitor to just get the plainer facts if possible. I then hope that the truth is somewhere in the middle of that mess, but often its hard to tell, especially when news organizations are more interested in reporting the story first rather than accurately.

  2. Amen RumTumTugger, MaxVel amen'd this post.
  3. #42
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,916
    Amen (Given)
    11257
    Amen (Received)
    24034
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    ...I then hope that the truth is somewhere in the middle of that mess, but often its hard to tell, especially when news organizations are more interested in reporting the story first rather than accurately.
    And I get SO tired of "our reporters were first on the scene" or "Channel 11 EXCLUSIVELY covers this story" or, worse, "the tease".... "A Houston man is in jail following a triple homicide.... find out why when we return...."

    Or worse... the breathless 24/7 news cycle that has reporters "on the scene" breathlessly speculating in the absence of fact, while saying stupid stuff like, "Now, we don't want to speculate, but....."

    It's all about ratings. I recently read an article where it was revealed that it used to be an accepted fact that the "news" was a necessary expense, and actually a loss to the network, until somebody figured out how to monetize it.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  4. #43
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,982
    Amen (Given)
    6504
    Amen (Received)
    6326
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And I get SO tired of "our reporters were first on the scene" or "Channel 11 EXCLUSIVELY covers this story" or, worse, "the tease".... "A Houston man is in jail following a triple homicide.... find out why when we return...."

    Or worse... the breathless 24/7 news cycle that has reporters "on the scene" breathlessly speculating in the absence of fact, while saying stupid stuff like, "Now, we don't want to speculate, but....."

    It's all about ratings. I recently read an article where it was revealed that it used to be an accepted fact that the "news" was a necessary expense, and actually a loss to the network, until somebody figured out how to monetize it.
    Yep. I don't think that the news has ever been bias-free, but 40 years ago we got a much fuller story simply because it took so long to get the news to the audience. That, by itself, cut down a lot of the nonsense speculation, and goof-ball half truths. Getting the news out there before all the facts come in means that the narrative can be controlled, and people usually only care about the news as it breaks, not once all the facts come in. But there's no way of reversing the current trend.

  5. Amen One Bad Pig, MaxVel, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  6. #44
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,916
    Amen (Given)
    11257
    Amen (Received)
    24034
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Yep. I don't think that the news has ever been bias-free, but 40 years ago we got a much fuller story simply because it took so long to get the news to the audience. That, by itself, cut down a lot of the nonsense speculation, and goof-ball half truths. Getting the news out there before all the facts come in means that the narrative can be controlled, and people usually only care about the news as it breaks, not once all the facts come in. But there's no way of reversing the current trend.
    That's an excellent point -- because they had only a certain window of "news", shared with weather and sports, they had to be concise and "to the point". Also, there used to be a degree of pride in being a "journalist". Now, ANYBODY can be a "journalist" just by blogging.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  8. #45
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,074
    Amen (Given)
    4781
    Amen (Received)
    21277
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No. I'm saying it's the press' job to report the truth. Any one reporting the truth and interacting with trump will appear to be in an adversarial relationship with Donald Trump. Because the Truth itself is in an adversarial relationship with Donald Trump. Just look at the number of advisers and cabinet members that have left on bad terms with trump because they would not cross a line on what it true verses what trump wanted to hear!

    And that is what Acosta is saying. The apparent hostility that you rally around is nothing more than what happens when the truth meets Donald Trump. They are mortal enemies.

    Jim
    So*, even if they are telling the "truth" they are still spending all of their time on Trump and they are being adversarial with him, mocking him, calling for impeachment, etc. Exactly what Acosta is saying they are NOT doing.


    *You realize that no matter what you say, I am going to interpret it as you agreeing with me, right?

  9. #46
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,074
    Amen (Given)
    4781
    Amen (Received)
    21277
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    You don't appear to be reasoning well at this moment. Trump lies so often that anyone reporting the truth will have to confront a lie of Trumps.

    This simple fact does not in anyone's universe equate to 'there isn't a single nice or good thing ever to be said about Trump'.

    It just means he lies so much that anyone reporting the truth is bound to bump up against it and be required to call him on it. That forces the relationship to be adversarial.

    Jim
    You are kind of assuming your own conclusion when it comes to Trump. It ends up being nothing but question begging.

    You assume Trump is the devil incarnate so that means that everyone reporting that he is the devil incarnate is only telling the truth.

  10. Amen Mountain Man, RumTumTugger, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
  11. #47
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,790
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You are kind of assuming your own conclusion when it comes to Trump. It ends up being nothing but question begging.

    You assume Trump is the devil incarnate so that means that everyone reporting that he is the devil incarnate is only telling the truth.
    No sparko. In simple terms a implies b does not necessarily equate to b imples a.

    A reporter of the truth will be at odds with trump does not imply every reporter at odds with Trump is a reporter of the truth.

    Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-14-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

  12. #48
    tWebber MaxVel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    It's hot!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,416
    Amen (Given)
    1038
    Amen (Received)
    1539
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Yep. I don't think that the news has ever been bias-free, but 40 years ago we got a much fuller story simply because it took so long to get the news to the audience. That, by itself, cut down a lot of the nonsense speculation, and goof-ball half truths. Getting the news out there before all the facts come in means that the narrative can be controlled, and people usually only care about the news as it breaks, not once all the facts come in. But there's no way of reversing the current trend.
    Massive solar flare destroying the bulk of the world's electronics?


    But that would probably be reported as "Trump's rants provoke Sun into measured response"
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

  13. Amen Adrift, Mountain Man, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  14. #49
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,074
    Amen (Given)
    4781
    Amen (Received)
    21277
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No sparko. In simple terms a implies b does not necessarily equate to b imples a.

    A reporter of the truth will be at odds with trump does not imply every reporter at odds with Trump is a reporter of the truth.

    Jim
    So you admit a bunch of them are liars?

  15. #50
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,790
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So you admit a bunch of them are liars?
    Nope. Not a logical consequence of anything said so far.

    Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-15-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •