Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And can you still support him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know whether it matters, but in context, the "works" in 1 Cor. 3 seem to be those things which strengthen and unify the Church, as opposed to the jealousy, strife, and hero-worship at the beginning of the chapter.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      John 6 seems (to me) to be fairly clear in teaching that the only "work" needed to obtain "eternal life" is to "believe" in Jesus. IOW, in John's terminology, "pisteuo" itself is sufficient.
      I don't think - in context - one can ever separate Jesus talking about belief from that belief producing real change. Jesus, much more so than paul in the Gospels, always points to what people do and think as evidence what who they really are, what they really believe. That is why he is so hard on the Pharisees, their words and their lives were so completely out of sync that their claims of belief amounted to nothing.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I don't know whether it matters, but in context, the "works" in 1 Cor. 3 seem to be those things which strengthen and unify the Church, as opposed to the jealousy, strife, and hero-worship at the beginning of the chapter.
        I think the context is larger than just the Church since Paul goes on to talk about personal conduct.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't know whether it matters, but in context, the "works" in 1 Cor. 3 seem to be those things which strengthen and unify the Church, as opposed to the jealousy, strife, and hero-worship at the beginning of the chapter.
          Quite correct - Paul points to works of the law on the one hand, and works of love, faith etc on the other. Paul also makes a big deal of the things we ought to do - which might seem to indicate that those things are optional. However, the word translated as "ought" is οφειλ(ε)ω - showing that an obligation exists, and thus those things are mandatory. There is no "natural outcome of faith" action in Paul's writing - there is mandatory action.
          Last edited by tabibito; 06-26-2019, 02:59 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Only you would suggest that plain English is not an understandable language.
            Yeah, that's why you all are always arguing about what this passage or that passage is actually trying to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              Yeah, that's why you all are always arguing about what this passage or that passage is actually trying to say.
              Now if only you could demonstrate that "understandable language" and using that language to convey complex and nuanced ideas worthy of discussion and debate are mutually exclusive.

Of course given your poor grasp of English, it's not surprising you wouldn't consider it an understandable language.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Well that and the fact not one word in the Bible is actually written in English. There is that little bugaboo.

These are writings from an ancient culture in an ancient language with ancient idioms and cultural references that a translated into modern english by scholars doing their very best to preserve the original meaning. But these are concepts that were difficult in their day in their original language and culture. Even the Bible itself speaks about how Paul's writings are not necessarily easy to understand and that they are easily distorted by unstable or unknowledgeable people. Paul was a rabbi of the highest order, and his mind did not think on these things idly or simply, and people today reading his words are foolish to think they are necessarily easy to comprehend in their fullness.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Its only a pro-life stance that could make me consider and struggle with whether or not to vote for Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    Its only a pro-life stance that could make me consider and struggle with whether or not to vote for Trump.
                    It was a struggle and literally last-second decision for me in 2016. It will be easy-peasy to vote for him in 2020.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Its only a pro-life stance that could make me consider and struggle with whether or not to vote for Trump.
                      I dont think I could ever actually vote for Trump. Though if the democrat is bad enough I may have no choice as I really, really believe to not vote is to relinquish control to the worst of the worst.

Jim

Comment