Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Led to the Messiah being sent to the world?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

What Led to the Messiah being sent to the world?

What Led to the Messiah being sent to the world?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You mean aside from our (humanity) screwing everything up so that we need Him?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

3. Amen Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was more thinking about the steps leading to the appearing of the Messiah.
    Maybe there is more to this than simply "the woman sinned; the Messiah came."
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-13-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    I was more thinking about the steps leading to the appearing of the Messiah.
    Maybe there is more to this than simply "the woman sinned; the Messiah came."
    Interesting thought. I think it's more than a woman sinned; the Messiah came. It's about restoring our intimate relationship with our creator. About restoring the link between heaven and earth. OT scholar Michael Heiser suggests that, as imagers of God (an expression that I believe he borrows from NT Wright), the Messiah was to restore the original plan of humanity sharing in the divine council, "Since Eden was the place where both spheres intersected, it was Godís intent that humankind share membership in and be an extension of his divine council. Job 15:7-8 give us a hint of this when one of Jobís friends taunts him by comparing Job to Adam: 'Are you the first man who was born? Or were you brought forth before the hills? Have you listened in the council of God (eloah)?' The elohim would assist Godís sovereign rule from the spiritual plane, and humankind would take over on the earthly plane." So Christ restores that balance as well, where we become joint-heirs as we were always intended to be.

6. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think what's most interesting is that God waited several thousand years before bringing his plan of salvation to fruition.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

8. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Interesting thought. I think it's more than a woman sinned; the Messiah came. It's about restoring our intimate relationship with our creator. About restoring the link between heaven and earth. OT scholar Michael Heiser suggests that, as imagers of God (an expression that I believe he borrows from NT Wright), the Messiah was to restore the original plan of humanity sharing in the divine council, "Since Eden was the place where both spheres intersected, it was Godís intent that humankind share membership in and be an extension of his divine council. Job 15:7-8 give us a hint of this when one of Jobís friends taunts him by comparing Job to Adam: 'Are you the first man who was born? Or were you brought forth before the hills? Have you listened in the council of God (eloah)?' The elohim would assist Godís sovereign rule from the spiritual plane, and humankind would take over on the earthly plane." So Christ restores that balance as well, where we become joint-heirs as we were always intended to be.
    This is very much the Orthodox view. As we sing on the third Sunday in Lent:
    "The flaming sword no longer guards the gates of Paradise. It
    has been mysteriously extinguished by the Wood of the
    Cross. The sting of death and the victory of hades have been
    vanquished. For You, O my Saviour, came and cried to those
    in hades: Enter again, into Paradise. "
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

10. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was trying to see if people had concepts of how the Messiah was to emerge from among the people of Israel and why there was a focus on Jesus as the Son of David.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Which "people?" Ancient Israelites? Second Temple Israelites? The first Jewish converts or modern Christians?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Which "people?" Ancient Israelites? Second Temple Israelites? The first Jewish converts or modern Christians?
    Essentially the ancient people. Do twebbers have ideas why a prophet should arise like unto Moses? Why was it important to designate that a descendant of David would rule on the throne? How does the behavior of (ancient) Israelites fit into the coming of the Messiah?

I was curious how people see these bits and pieces from the OT (with possible insights from the NT). Or are these details just not considered much by Christians?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Essentially the ancient people. Do twebbers have ideas why a prophet should arise like unto Moses? Why was it important to designate that a descendant of David would rule on the throne? How does the behavior of (ancient) Israelites fit into the coming of the Messiah?

I was curious how people see these bits and pieces from the OT (with possible insights from the NT). Or are these details just not considered much by Christians?
    Your average pew sitting Christian? No, it's probably not considered much. Michael Heiser suggests that God chose Israel largely because of the Babel incident. He suggests that Deuteronomy 32:8Ė9 refers back to the Babel incident when the people were dispersed. Yahweh disinherited the nations (the rest were given over to the other Sons of God), and like the Flood incident, wanted to start over again, now with a nation that had yet to exist...Israel. A nation that he could guide and mold, and who would finally be obedient and in right relationship with him. Why David? I think the obvious answer is because David exemplified a righteous Israeli king, and a man after God's own heart.

As a Christian who is considering these things, what's your answer to your OP? Or where do you lean?