Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Read More Books, and Read Them Faster

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    When I was younger I read everything in blocks of four or five words allowing me to be considered a natural speed reader. Nowadays... not so much. I plow through everything a word at a time and my eyes get tired after a half dozen pages or so.
    Speed reading is not that useful. I can read pretty fast but the faster you read the less you can understand or enjoy. I don't try to read fast, I just naturally read in blocks of words.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Speed reading is not that useful. I can read pretty fast but the faster you read the less you can understand or enjoy. I don't try to read fast, I just naturally read in blocks of words.
    My comprehension while reading that way was well above average.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    My comprehension while reading that way was well above average.

I read that in .001 second.

Yes, you can borrow my lawnmower.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As far as I can remember I've never had the "inner voice" when I'm reading either (I've also always read in blocks of several words like Rogue used to do as well), but have always had images of what I'm reading in my head, though I'm not sure whether I'd classify it as a "movie screen" or not, since the pictures in my mind aren't as clear, or vivid as they used to be, probably as a result of me not reading as much as I used to any more. I expect if I started to read seriously like I used to when I was a bit younger (though I'm still young unlike most of you guys here ) My ability to visualize what I'm reading would probably improve to the point where I was when I used to read voraciously (when I was still in grade school and a bit beyond I used to go to the local library, cram my backpack full of books and finish reading them all before the week was over.

Fun fact, I can't even remember having to practice learning to read. I'm not sure which age I was anymore when I learned to read, but I remember it happening instantly, like a snap, when I was busy staring at the text of a Swedish book "adaption" of the Lion King (I don't know if these books were originally written in Swedish, or if they were translated from English, or another language, but the pages were basically illustrated with images depicting scenes from the movie, and then narrative text was put on top of the images). And I can't remember ever not being able to read fluently either. I've always had the ability to visualize what I'm reading, and reading "chunks" of words instead of individual words, so I've always been a fast reader, from the very moment I became able to read.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Huh. I'm finding visualization/chunk style reading is more common than I thought. I think most people have the inner narrator reading to them, but a number of people I've talked in real life have also pointed out that that's how they read. Wish I had that ability right from the start.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Huh. I'm finding visualization/chunk style reading is more common than I thought. I think most people have the inner narrator reading to them, but a number of people I've talked in real life have also pointed out that that's how they read. Wish I had that ability right from the start.
    Well I kinda do both. I "voice" out the words I read, but I can "think the words" really fast in my head. A heck of a lot faster than I could speak them. But I take in the words in chunks. And if I am reading a story, I visualize the story and people while reading.