Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suicide

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Suicide

My youngest brother (age 78) committed suicide about a week ago, but my other younger brother (age 83) did not find his body until two days ago.

I spent most of the day yesterday trying and failing to log into TWeb to start this thread.

(By the way, the login system at TWeb is way far from user friendly.)

The purpose of this thread is to explore the subject of suicide from a Christian perspective.

I have health related chores and needs to tend to at the moment, though, and will return to this thread as I may be able.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am glad to hear from you again John, but sad it is under these circumstances.

My views on suicide in relation to Christianity has varied over the years. I really don't know. I think each case is different and God takes all into consideration. Most suicides are due to overwhelming pain or depression and I don't think God would hold that against anyone. They are not in their right minds.

3. Amen mossrose, Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

My views on suicide in relation to Christianity has varied over the years. I really don't know. I think each case is different and God takes all into consideration. Most suicides are due to overwhelming pain or depression and I don't think God would hold that against anyone. They are not in their right minds.
    Thank you, Sparko.

This is what my younger daughter wrote when I informed her of her uncle's suicide: "I was trying to find the words to say to make you feel better but so much gets lost in this kind of communication. It may not come out the way I want it to. I just know he was a good man. I know life doesnít end at death it just begins and we are more connected than we realize so Iím sending him love. All of the religions that add more than God says still allow some understanding for a personís mental state at the time. He may have been on some medication too and that can influence your mental state. All I know is he lived a good life."

5. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

It's not an easy topic. As C. S. Lewis observed, "the gates of hell are locked from the inside." I'd think that anyone who commits suicide has to be in pretty severe mental anguish; if, as we believe, consciousness is not lost with death, it seems to me that the anguish would continue with no sensory input to serve as a distraction from it. Can the person who commits suicide forgive themselves for doing so? Seems like it would be a monumentally difficult task. Prayer for them may help.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Reece View Post
    My youngest brother (age 78) committed suicide about a week ago, but my other younger brother (age 83) did not find his body until two days ago.

I spent most of the day yesterday trying and failing to log into TWeb to start this thread.

(By the way, the login system at TWeb is way far from user friendly.)

The purpose of this thread is to explore the subject of suicide from a Christian perspective.

I have health related chores and needs to tend to at the moment, though, and will return to this thread as I may be able.
    As the pirate said:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

8. Amen One Bad Pig, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It's not an easy topic. As C. S. Lewis observed, "the gates of hell are locked from the inside." I'd think that anyone who commits suicide has to be in pretty severe mental anguish; if, as we believe, consciousness is not lost with death, it seems to me that the anguish would continue with no sensory input to serve as a distraction from it. Can the person who commits suicide forgive themselves for doing so? Seems like it would be a monumentally difficult task. Prayer for them may help.
    Thanks OBP.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    John, I have been where you are. My brother took his own life at the age of 34, in 1993. He was a recovering alcoholic, and my family has a history of depression and anxiety.

I struggled with this for many years. He never made a profession of faith. But no one knows whether God reached him in his last moments. And no one knows whether God reached your brother in his last moments. My brother, and yours, from what you told me in our email exchange, knew the way of salvation.

It has taken me years to realize and reconcile myself to the idea that my brother is where he ultimately chose to be, whether in God's presence or outside of God's presence.

God is sovereign. His justice is perfect. We cannot understand this fully this side of eternity. But I take great comfort in knowing this about our Lord.

John, you and your family are in my prayers.

And I am so glad we finally got you logged in.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

11. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This post will be devoted to the story of how my brother, Jerry, planned his suicide so that his body would be found by my other brother, Paul.

Paul is a successful businessman whose retirement has enabled him to own a home in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC, as well as a farm at Banco VA. Two days ago Paul got a phone call from a neighbor of his Banco farm informing him that for several days there had been a pickup truck parked behind a barn on Paul's property, so Paul drove down to Banco to investigate. The truck was Jerry's. It was locked up so that Paul had to call a company that specializes in breaking into locked up vehicles to gain access to the cab of the truck. In the truck he discovered a suicide note from Jerry addressed to him, saying that Jerry was "sorry for doing this to you". Paul took the note to the local Police department which sent a 6 man team to find Jerry's body, which they located about 100 yards into a woodland area. The police would not allow Paul to see the body.
    Last edited by John Reece; 06-21-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    John, I have been where you are. My brother took his own life at the age of 34, in 1993. He was a recovering alcoholic, and my family has a history of depression and anxiety.

I struggled with this for many years. He never made a profession of faith. But no one knows whether God reached him in his last moments. And no one knows whether God reached your brother in his last moments. My brother, and yours, from what you told me in our email exchange, knew the way of salvation.

It has taken me years to realize and reconcile myself to the idea that my brother is where he ultimately chose to be, whether in God's presence or outside of God's presence.

God is sovereign. His justice is perfect. We cannot understand this fully this side of eternity. But I take great comfort in knowing this about our Lord.

John, you and your family are in my prayers.

And I am so glad we finally got you logged in.
    Thanks, mossrose, especially for your perseverance, without which I would have given up without getting logged in.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Reece View Post
    Thanks, mossrose, especially for your perseverance, without which I would have given up without getting logged in.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.