Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 7 end-of-support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 end-of-support

So Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7 after the middle of this coming January...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...anuary-14-2020

But I still plan to use it as long as I can.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
      So Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7 after the middle of this coming January...
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...anuary-14-2020

But I still plan to use it as long as I can.
      It was, in my opinion, the best iteration of Windows ever. It ALMOST made up for the disastrous DOS 4.0.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        It was, in my opinion, the best iteration of Windows ever. It ALMOST made up for the disastrous DOS 4.0.
        I think it looked better visually than windows 8 and 10. But I really like the way windows 10 works.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I think it looked better visually than windows 8 and 10. But I really like the way windows 10 works.
          I'm OK with Windows 10, but I like it a whole lot better with Classic Shell to make it look and feel like Win 7.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm OK with Windows 10, but I like it a whole lot better with Classic Shell to make it look and feel like Win 7.
            I used that for a while then I got used to the windows 10 menus at work and now I like them better.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

All that means is that Microsoft won't be providing any new updates for the operating system itself through Windows Update. Windows will continue to work, and in the event that it needs to be reinstalled, we can still get all the updates from there that were previously released up until that time.

In other words, you can still play your games and run your programs on it indefinitely.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

All that means is that Microsoft won't be providing any new updates for the operating system itself through Windows Update. Windows will continue to work, and in the event that it needs to be reinstalled, we can still get all the updates from there that were previously released up until that time.

In other words, you can still play your games and run your programs on it indefinitely.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

What about those of us who use Microsoft Security Essentials?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    What about those of us who use Microsoft Security Essentials?
                    I'm only guessing at this, but if it goes the way that it did in Windows XP, the program itself may still be available to download and install via Microsoft Update -- but it might no longer automatically update the definitions. Instead, manually updating the definitions will be in order...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...or-microsoft-s
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

I liked the interface change from Win 3.x to Win 9x. I've tried to cling to that look ever since. (Currently still using Win 7, with no plans to change.)
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I'm still using XP. I never did buy that new computer I was planning on getting because some other stuff came up and I ran out of money.
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Microsoft released an update for Windows 7 today which will remind users that support is ending in 3 months, and recommend updating to Windows 10...
                          https://support.microsoft.com/help/4524752

Although the page gives instructions on how to disable the notice through the registry editor, I didn't need to because I'd already run Never10 which appears to have done the same thing.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Sorry, mossy, best get ready to "upgrade."

It also means they won't be fixing security issues, and that will paint it as a target for hackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                              Sorry, mossy, best get ready to "upgrade."

It also means they won't be fixing security issues, and that will paint it as a target for hackers.

Comment