Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 7 end-of-support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Neither of us were teens during any part of the 80s.

I do remember going to where my father worked back in the early 70s where they had the computer room in which some giant monstrosity used punch cards.
    Up til about 10 years ago, one of our local foundries used punch tape (like punch cards but on big reels) to "record" the engineering specifications for their plasma cutter machine. The engineer would design the desired product, then "print it" to tape. Somebody would hand carry that reel of tape to the shop floor, where they would feed it into another machine that would read the series of holes in the tape, and run the program to run the plasma cutter.

I kept those punchers/readers operating until I convinced them that a simple serial cable from the engineer's computer to the plasma cutter's table would eliminate the "punch/read" cycle. They were amazed how much more productive that was - and I got a significant Christmas bonus for that!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40309[/ATTACH]
      The original took a bit longer until Bambi was squashed with the credits taking far longer than the movie ending with Godzilla flexing its claws at the very end.
      The one I remember was much more crude - like a dot matrix effect which slowly materialized on the screen. But you're right - it was Bambi.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The one I remember was much more crude - like a dot matrix effect which slowly materialized on the screen. But you're right - it was Bambi.
        The original was considerably more grainy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The original was considerably more grainy.
          Yeah, and at 300 baud over a noisy country phone line, it was like each line was "written" to the screen a line at a time.

Comment

Neither of us were teens during any part of the 80s.

I do remember going to where my father worked back in the early 70s where they had the computer room in which some giant monstrosity used punch cards.
            In 1975, just before my Mom retired, the attorney she worked for bought a word processor. She had to go in for training, but she loved it.

It was bigger than a Selectric II and took up most of the desk.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              In 1975, just before my Mom retired, the attorney she worked for bought a word processor. She had to go in for training, but she loved it.

It was bigger than a Selectric II and took up most of the desk.
              At one point in my career, I worked for Lanier Business Products and serviced the "No Problem Typewriter".

lanier.jpg

It used two 8" floppy drives - one for your program, and one for your data. And it took up about half your desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                At one point in my career, I worked for Lanier Business Products and serviced the "No Problem Typewriter".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40318[/ATTACH]

It used two 8" floppy drives - one for your program, and one for your data. And it took up about half your desk.
                It almost looks like a Tandy! And I didn't know until now that floppy disks were ever bigger than 5.25".
                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                  It almost looks like a Tandy! And I didn't know until now that floppy disks were ever bigger than 5.25".
                  I still have some of those 8" floppies. They were pretty much the standard from 1971-1977, then came the 5 1/4" floppies (single sided single density, up through double sided double density), then 3 1/2" in the early 80's.

Comment

When I was a kid, we used 5.25" floppies... and we liked it! Our computer had no hard drive and no GUI (Commodore 64).
                    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                      When I was a kid, we used 5.25" floppies... and we liked it! Our computer had no hard drive and no GUI (Commodore 64).
                      The first program I ever wrote (BASIC) and saved was on a cassette tape recorder attached to a Commodore 64.

c64tr.jpg

Only mine was just a cheap Radio Shack cassette recorder, if I recall.

Comment

The first few diddly programs I wrote were in BASIC on a Sinclair ZX-81. I don't even remember how they were stored. I also wrote some kind of dopey BASIC programs on my then-girlfriends Radio Shack pocket computer.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

My Mom gave me a Radio Shack 16 bit toy for Christmas in 1985, I think. She thought it would help in college - even bought the data recorder to store my programs. I did a few in BASIC - she'd spent all that money - but that was about it.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Y'all are old!
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              My Mom gave me a Radio Shack 16 bit toy for Christmas in 1985, I think. She thought it would help in college - even bought the data recorder to store my programs. I did a few in BASIC - she'd spent all that money - but that was about it.
                              Yeah... I never really went anywhere with programming. I *had* to do some in college, in FORTRAN, and was not good at it. I did write a couple of programs on my HP-41-CV calculator that came in handy. That thing was SO useful. It died just a few years ago. Sad.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                Y'all are old!
                                Yer down tootin' Little Miss Smarty Pants.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment