Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 7 end-of-support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Y'all are old!
    Darn tootin'!"
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

down tootin', darn tootin', durn tootin'.

It all makes no never mind when you're an old fart.

Now...

GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!1!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Y'all are old!
        You'll get there young'un. It happens FAST...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

"Yes, back in the 2010's we carried our phones in our pockets..."
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            "Yes, back in the 2010's we carried our phones in our pockets..."
            And in the 1990's, we carried them in bags...

bag phone.jpeg
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A bit more on-topic: When Win7 support assumes room temperature (a little El Rushbo lingo there), will MS Security Essentials (or whatever it's called) also expire?
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                A bit more on-topic: When Win7 support assumes room temperature (a little El Rushbo lingo there), will MS Security Essentials (or whatever it's called) also expire?
                You might want to have a look at my reply to Rogue earlier in the thread; it might answer that.
                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post643430
                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                  You might want to have a look at my reply to Rogue earlier in the thread; it might answer that.
                  Thanks.

For me, that would basically mean it's dead. I never think about manually running or updating.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                    I got my first notice yesterday and it said they wouldn't be updating it but I wonder if that means that you can still update it manually.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

On what appears to be the last day for tech support for Windows 7:

Source: NSA identifies "critical vulnerability" in Microsoft Windows 10

The National Security Agency disclosed Tuesday that it has identified a "critical vulnerability" in Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system — but that it reported the flaw to the company and its partners rather than exploiting it for surveillance or hacking purposes.

Anne Neuberger, the head of the NSA's newly restructured cybersecurity directorate, told reporters the agency was recommending that all network owners "expedite" implementation of a patch. She said neither the agency nor Microsoft has, to date, seen exploitation of the flaw, which affected millions of computers.

Microsoft released its patch on Tuesday. In a statement, senior director Jeff Jones said, "We follow the principles of coordinated vulnerability disclosure (CVD) as the industry best practice to protect our customers from reported security vulnerabilities."

The NSA issued a cybersecurity advisory on Tuesday, calling the flaw "severe" and said that "sophisticated cyber actors will understand the underlying flaw very quickly."

"The consequences of not patching the vulnerability are severe and widespread," the advisory said.

Microsoft's update warned that successful exploitation of the flaw could allow cybercriminals to effectively eavesdrop on private communications between two users, in what are known as "man-in-the-middle" attacks.

Computers with automatic updates enabled will automatically receive the patch.

Neuberger also said Microsoft will, in unprecedented fashion, give attribution to the NSA as the company posts the patch. This, she said, was an effort by the agency to "build trust" with its partners and the public.

She noted that select government agencies were provided a classified update on the flaw "prior to today," without specifying when that notification occurred.

"We wanted to lean forward and raise awareness," Neuberger said. "The percentage of enterprises that patch is still far lower than it needs to be."

The move is a departure from precedent. The NSA has in the past accumulated cyber tools it could use to spy on adversaries. It previously weaponized a different Microsoft vulnerability to create a tool known as EternalBlue, which has since been used by suspected Russian and Chinese hackers.

Part of the NSA's efforts to improve its partnerships with the government, the private sector and the public, Neuberger said, would involve "turning a leaf" and sharing, rather than storing, information about vulnerabilities.

General Paul Nakasone, who heads both the NSA and U.S. Cyber Command, has charged the cybersecurity directorate with more quickly disseminating unclassified products that are designed to help other government agencies, the military, and private companies protect themselves from cyber threats.

Assistant Director for Cybersecurity at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) Bryan Ware, who also spoke on the call, said that agency will be "stressing the urgency" of this patch to national, international, state, local and tribal partners and directing federal agencies to implement it within 10 days.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

By the way, I downloaded and installed Win10 on a client computer this weekend with no difficulties whatsoever, and FREE! After install (computer was Win7Pro) it authenticated just fine without me having to do anything but reboot.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          By the way, I downloaded and installed Win10 on a client computer this weekend with no difficulties whatsoever, and FREE! After install (computer was Win7Pro) it authenticated just fine without me having to do anything but reboot.
                          How did you manage the "and FREE!" part?

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I think Microsoft is just wanting people to switch, so they hope you buy Win10, but if you don't, they're not keeping you from downloading and installing if you have a legitimate copy of 7 or 8.

Comment

I thought this might be of interest to others, so I started a new thread on it here.

Comment

In other news, it looks like although Microsoft is no longer offering the Security Essentials application to download, they'll still keep updating the definition signatures for it for another 3 years yet...
                                https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17150

That's good news for those of you who were asking about that earlier in this thread.
                                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment