Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Windows 7 end-of-support

  1. #31
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,490
    Amen (Given)
    12271
    Amen (Received)
    26259
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Neither of us were teens during any part of the 80s.

    I do remember going to where my father worked back in the early 70s where they had the computer room in which some giant monstrosity used punch cards.
    Up til about 10 years ago, one of our local foundries used punch tape (like punch cards but on big reels) to "record" the engineering specifications for their plasma cutter machine. The engineer would design the desired product, then "print it" to tape. Somebody would hand carry that reel of tape to the shop floor, where they would feed it into another machine that would read the series of holes in the tape, and run the program to run the plasma cutter.

    I kept those punchers/readers operating until I convinced them that a simple serial cable from the engineer's computer to the plasma cutter's table would eliminate the "punch/read" cycle. They were amazed how much more productive that was - and I got a significant Christmas bonus for that!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  2. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  3. #32
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,490
    Amen (Given)
    12271
    Amen (Received)
    26259
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Attachment 40309
    The original took a bit longer until Bambi was squashed with the credits taking far longer than the movie ending with Godzilla flexing its claws at the very end.
    The one I remember was much more crude - like a dot matrix effect which slowly materialized on the screen. But you're right - it was Bambi.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  4. #33
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,251
    Amen (Given)
    1130
    Amen (Received)
    19523
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The one I remember was much more crude - like a dot matrix effect which slowly materialized on the screen. But you're right - it was Bambi.
    The original was considerably more grainy.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  5. #34
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,490
    Amen (Given)
    12271
    Amen (Received)
    26259
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The original was considerably more grainy.
    Yeah, and at 300 baud over a noisy country phone line, it was like each line was "written" to the screen a line at a time.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  6. #35
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,296
    Amen (Given)
    9569
    Amen (Received)
    5655
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Neither of us were teens during any part of the 80s.

    I do remember going to where my father worked back in the early 70s where they had the computer room in which some giant monstrosity used punch cards.
    In 1975, just before my Mom retired, the attorney she worked for bought a word processor. She had to go in for training, but she loved it.

    It was bigger than a Selectric II and took up most of the desk.

  7. #36
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,490
    Amen (Given)
    12271
    Amen (Received)
    26259
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    In 1975, just before my Mom retired, the attorney she worked for bought a word processor. She had to go in for training, but she loved it.

    It was bigger than a Selectric II and took up most of the desk.
    At one point in my career, I worked for Lanier Business Products and serviced the "No Problem Typewriter".

    lanier.jpg

    It used two 8" floppy drives - one for your program, and one for your data. And it took up about half your desk.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  9. #37
    Professor The Melody Maker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,249
    Amen (Given)
    3546
    Amen (Received)
    1447
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    At one point in my career, I worked for Lanier Business Products and serviced the "No Problem Typewriter".

    lanier.jpg

    It used two 8" floppy drives - one for your program, and one for your data. And it took up about half your desk.
    It almost looks like a Tandy! And I didn't know until now that floppy disks were ever bigger than 5.25".
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

    "[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

    Fight_spam!

  10. Amen NorrinRadd, Teallaura amen'd this post.
  11. #38
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,490
    Amen (Given)
    12271
    Amen (Received)
    26259
    Quote Originally Posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    It almost looks like a Tandy! And I didn't know until now that floppy disks were ever bigger than 5.25".
    I still have some of those 8" floppies. They were pretty much the standard from 1971-1977, then came the 5 1/4" floppies (single sided single density, up through double sided double density), then 3 1/2" in the early 80's.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  12. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  13. #39
    Thread Killer QuantaFille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thulcandra
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,508
    Amen (Given)
    636
    Amen (Received)
    869
    When I was a kid, we used 5.25" floppies... and we liked it! Our computer had no hard drive and no GUI (Commodore 64).
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

  14. Amen The Melody Maker amen'd this post.
  15. #40
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56,490
    Amen (Given)
    12271
    Amen (Received)
    26259
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    When I was a kid, we used 5.25" floppies... and we liked it! Our computer had no hard drive and no GUI (Commodore 64).
    The first program I ever wrote (BASIC) and saved was on a cassette tape recorder attached to a Commodore 64.

    c64tr.jpg

    Only mine was just a cheap Radio Shack cassette recorder, if I recall.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  16. Amen Teallaura, The Melody Maker amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •