Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church

My wife and I have reached the point where we feel it's time to find a new church. She's discovered that a bunch of social activities doesn't make a community. For various reasons, we haven't been there is 4 weeks and no body from the senior pastor down has contacted us. I'm worn out from how shallow the theology is. We're both tired that everything is labeled "Bible Study" yet the Bible is never studied.

We want to be long-term, committed members. We've been so in the past. Unfortunately those churches are now closed. It's so frustrating and disappointing that we can't find anything.

I think the issue is we both take being Christian seriously. We know being a disciple takes work. I think too many churches teach an easy Christianity that makes you feel good but doesn't impact your life. Probably this is a relative of cheap grace. Churches know programs but don't know what to do with people that don't fit into the program. Maybe put them into leadership but that's not always the answer.

Frankly I think this is part of the reason church attendance is declining. The people who have a shallow commitment are moving on. (I'll admit there is also a significant number leaving because of the various scandals that have emerged. That is something that needs serious repentance.) The church leadership is too busy trying to hold their numbers so church gets more and more spiritually meaningless.

Now believe it or not, I think long-term, say 10 to 20 years from now, this is a good thing. I think as more and more shallowly committed people leave, the churches will slow return to the community, discipleship, and ministry they were meant to be. It's just going to be painful to live through.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

I think church complacency has been a big problem in the US for decades with a lot of them being more like social clubs for the religiously minded than institutions for real discipleship and Biblical instruction. Heck, this has been the theme of Steve Taylor's music since he got his start in the early-80s. I can't tell you the number of sermons I've sat through in my life where the preacher will read a token verse at the start and then spend the next hour pontificating without ever referring to scripture.

Thankfully, my own church has a pastor who believes in old school sermons where he'll pick a passage of scripture and go through it verse by verse giving explanation, instruction, and examples of practical application, but I realize this is not common in a lot of churches.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      I think the issue is we both take being Christian seriously. We know being a disciple takes work. I think too many churches teach an easy Christianity that makes you feel good but doesn't impact your life. Probably this is a relative of cheap grace. Churches know programs but don't know what to do with people that don't fit into the program. Maybe put them into leadership but that's not always the answer.
      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Maybe:
        just maybe:

Stay and strengthen what remains ...

Maybe:
        just maybe:

Form a Christian Studies/Fellowship group, with members of your current congregation (or not), and see if the rafters can be shored up.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          My wife and I have reached the point where we feel it's time to find a new church. She's discovered that a bunch of social activities doesn't make a community. For various reasons, we haven't been there is 4 weeks and no body from the senior pastor down has contacted us. I'm worn out from how shallow the theology is. We're both tired that everything is labeled "Bible Study" yet the Bible is never studied.

We want to be long-term, committed members. We've been so in the past. Unfortunately those churches are now closed. It's so frustrating and disappointing that we can't find anything.

Frankly I think this is part of the reason church attendance is declining. The people who have a shallow commitment are moving on. (I'll admit there is also a significant number leaving because of the various scandals that have emerged. That is something that needs serious repentance.) The church leadership is too busy trying to hold their numbers so church gets more and more spiritually meaningless.

Now believe it or not, I think long-term, say 10 to 20 years from now, this is a good thing. I think as more and more shallowly committed people leave, the churches will slow return to the community, discipleship, and ministry they were meant to be. It's just going to be painful to live through.
          A lot of the moving on comes between high school and first job out of college. When parents are shallowly committed, kids usually find other things to do Sunday morning.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            Maybe:
            just maybe:

Maybe:
            just maybe:

Form a Christian Studies/Fellowship group, with members of your current congregation (or not), and see if the rafters can be shored up.

We tried the first where we were. There comes a point where, when there is an unwillingness for change on the part of the church, a person needs to leave and find a place where leadership is determined to teach scripture and not get caught up in trying to make the church like the world, or follow unsound teachings that are anti-biblical.

It's not an easy thing to do, and good luck (as much as I hate that phrase) finding such a church.

We still haven't found one in our town after leaving a church 6 years ago.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              We tried the first where we were. There comes a point where, when there is an unwillingness for change on the part of the church, a person needs to leave and find a place where leadership is determined to teach scripture and not get caught up in trying to make the church like the world, or follow unsound teachings that are anti-biblical.

It's not an easy thing to do, and good luck (as much as I hate that phrase) finding such a church.

We still haven't found one in our town after leaving a church 6 years ago.
              I do sympathise. Been there, done that. Am there - trying the "stay and strengthen" thing yet again, hoping that this time I get a window of opportunity.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

My Wife and I were very blessed 20+ years ago to find the church we are currently in. We had some rough patches with the previous pastor (but then he died suddenly). But, we have an awesome pastor now!

But, the thing that kept us in this church through the last pastor-ship, was our Sunday Morning Bible group (We STILL call it Sunday School). We absolutely love it! The teacher takes his time and goes deep into the Word, fleshing out Greek word meanings and the true Biblical concepts.

(I get to teach it next month for 4 - 6 weeks to give our regular teacher a summer break. )
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I guess I've been blessed - the only stretch where I didn't get much out of church (aside from my Navy time, when I pretty much didn't go) was at my dad's church while I was going to college (I spent summers at my dad's).
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man
                    I can't tell you the number of sermons I've sat through in my life where the preacher will read a token verse at the start and then spend the next hour pontificating without ever referring to scripture.
                    Or they'll make you "Stand for the reading of God's word" at the beginning (which is stupid), then read a passage of several verses to you, and then you'll sit down and that'll be the end of the Bible citations.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                      Or they'll make you "Stand for the reading of God's word" at the beginning (which is stupid), then read a passage of several verses to you, and then you'll sit down and that'll be the end of the Bible citations.
                      Showing respect by standing is "stupid"?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        As an aside, did you see Bob Dole and John McCain's funeral? I'd love to hear his reaction to someone telling him that standing to show respect is stupid.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
                          Yes. Are you saying that you want to stand for the whole sermon, or are you saying that you want all the Bible quotes to be crammed into one section and stood for?

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Maybe:
                            just maybe:

Maybe:
                            just maybe:

Tried starting a Bible study. It didn't work out although I did learn some things to do different if I ever try to start one again.

I think the Easter sermon was the end for me. Instead of a solid, triumphant "Christ is risen!" I got a sermon I titled "Taking selfies at the empty tomb." That's when I really internalized, they're happy as they are and I would be viewed as divisive if I tried to change even a small part.

I didn't go in with high expectations. I was sort of expecting a bland spiritual experience. I was hoping to find a pocket of more serious believers to connect to. I think they exist there but they keep to themselves.

I've heard the sermons about grow where you're planted. Really hard to do in desert. Perhaps that church can be saved. It will take someone besides me.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

There does come a time where the company at a church starts to interfere with one's own walk: that's when the idea of wiping the dust from one's feet does become worthy of consideration.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment