Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cyber warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyber warfare

Two stories in the last week:

1. The US planted offensive malware in Russia's power grid
    The US appears to be acting on its promise to aggressively respond to cyberwarfare threats. New York Times sources say Cyber Command has planted offensive malware in Russia's electrical grid, not just reconnaissance as has been the case since "at least" 2012. It's not certain just how deep the infiltration goes or what malware is capable of doing. The intention, however, is clear -- this is meant both to serve as a deterrent as well as a weapon in case the US and Russia trade blows.

The military branch is reportedly taking advantage of measures in a 2018 defense authorization bill permitting secret online campaigns to "deter, safeguard or defend against" cyberattacks without requiring explicit presidential approval. President Trump, who claimed that Russia had stopped cyberattacks, isn't believed to have been briefed on the malware plants.
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/15/...ia-power-grid/

2. US cyberattack reportedly knocked out Iran missile control systems

The US may have withheld a physical military response to Iran shooting down a drone, but it might not have shown similar restraint with a digital campaign. Washington Post sources say the President greenlit a long-in-the-making cyberattack that took down Iranian missile control computers on the night of June 20th. The exact impact of the Cyber Command operation isn't clear, but it was described as "crippling" -- Iran couldn't easily recover, one tipster said.
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/22/...control-syste/

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      On that first one. I wonder if it is true, about planting malware in the Russian grid? If so, why would they admit it? Seems pretty stupid to admit it. Unless it ISN'T true and they just want the Russians to spend time and effort looking for this malware that doesn't exist. But in either case, it also means that the Russians will now be trying to do the same to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        On that first one. I wonder if it is true, about planting malware in the Russian grid? If so, why would they admit it? Seems pretty stupid to admit it. Unless it ISN'T true and they just want the Russians to spend time and effort looking for this malware that doesn't exist. But in either case, it also means that the Russians will now be trying to do the same to us.
        Since when has the NYT shown a concern for national security?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Actually. if the Russians already know, it's good PR to other, less financially endowed nations. We play in the big boy league - sure you wanna play, Iran?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            True.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              If it's true, I'm less concerned about the Times reporting it than I am the implication that there are still traitors inside the Trump administration who are continuing to leak national security secrets to the media (and who knows who else).
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                If it's true, I'm less concerned about the Times reporting it than I am the implication that there are still traitors inside the Trump administration who are continuing to leak national security secrets to the media (and who knows who else).
                Yes, that is a concern.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So according to the NYT, this is a response to Russia having done it to us first.

---
                  Advocates of the more aggressive strategy said it was long overdue, after years of public warnings from the Department of Homeland Security and the F.B.I. that Russia has inserted malware that could sabotage American power plants, oil and gas pipelines, or water supplies in any future conflict with the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/15/u...ssia-grid.html

Comment

So in the future, instead of drafting physically fit people into the military, they will be drafting nerds and hackers, and instead of 6 weeks of grueling basic training they will feed them pizza and Red Bull.

Comment

So in the future, instead of drafting physically fit people into the military, they will be drafting nerds and hackers, and instead of 6 weeks of grueling basic training they will feed them pizza and Red Bull.
                      Hot pockets.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

And Code Red Mountain Dew.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment