Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reparations

Ok you probably heard about congress debating giving reparations to blacks for slavery.

For the first time in a decade Congress will hold a hearing Wednesday on the subject of reparations for the descendants of slaves in the United States, a topic that has gained traction in the run-up to the 2020 elections.

The hearing is set for June 19, also known as "Juneteenth," the day when in 1865 former enslaved people in Texas first learned that they had been emancipated two years earlier.

The House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties is holding the hearing on H.R. 40, which calls for a commission to "study and develop reparation proposals for African-Americans," including a formal apology by the U.S. government "for the perpetration of gross human rights violations and crimes against humanity on African slaves and their descendants."
    https://www.npr.org/2019/06/18/73388...-for-wednesday

But now....

Elizabeth Warren Wants Reparations For Same-Sex Couples

Democratic Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren has added “gay and lesbian couples” to the growing list of groups for whom she would support reparations.

Citing a tax code that was “discriminatory” against non-heterosexual married couples, Warren tweeted Saturday, “It wasn’t until marriage equality became law that gay & lesbian couples could jointly file tax returns—so they paid more in taxes. Our government owes them more than $50M for the years our discriminatory tax code left them out. We must right these wrongs.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/06/23/e...e-sex-couples/

Pandering to the radical left... again!
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Pandering to the radical left... again!
      What about the American Indians? Why isn't Warren asking to give them reparations? After claiming to be one all these years.

They have no money to give reparations, other than as a token. This is just the democrats trying to buy votes for the next election. String it along as long as possible, or make it look like the Republicans shot it down, just to get more votes.

Sad.

Comment

Canada has been paying reparations to "First Nations" and homosexuals for years now.

We even gave 10.5 million dollars to Omar Khadr for how badly the poor little feller was treated by Americans at Gitmo.

Once this starts, it will never end, folks.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think they owe me reparations for forcing me to pay taxes at the single rate for all the years I worked before I was married. It's only fair, right?
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I am against reparations even though the mainstream probably considers it a racist stance at this point in time. I think reparations would be reasonable if there were actually any living former slaves; just like it was reasonable to pay reparations for Japanese American internment.

I get that the argument is that the deck has been stacked against them from the beginning and the money is to make up for that, but let's not pretend race is the only factor that goes into inequality. If you address this one factor (race), then anybody who was born poor, or disabled, etc. can argue "what about me"?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, it gets really sticky when you consider things like what about people whose ancestors fought and died or were seriously wounded helping to free the slaves? Didn't they more than pay any supposed debt with their blood? And what about people whose ancestors came here after the Civil War? Or those who are Native American or, let's say, Chinese and whose ancestors worked on the transcontinental railroad? And should those blacks whose ancestors weren't living here before the Civil War receive anything? Even those who came from West Africa and whose ancestors may have sold other Africans into slavery?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Yeah, it gets really sticky when you consider things like what about people whose ancestors fought and died or were seriously wounded helping to free the slaves? Didn't they more than pay any supposed debt with their blood? And what about people whose ancestors came here after the Civil War? Or those who are Native American or, let's say, Chinese and whose ancestors worked on the transcontinental railroad? And should those blacks whose ancestors weren't living here before the Civil War receive anything? Even those who came from West Africa and whose ancestors may have sold other Africans into slavery?
                If they are going to pay reparations out of the tax pool, that means that blacks are paying reparations too. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  If they are going to pay reparations out of the tax pool, that means that blacks are paying reparations too. Hmmm.
                  Heck no. Just amend the tax forms to require straight white biological men who identify as male to pay more. I think that would cover everything.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Heck no. Just amend the tax forms to require straight white biological men who identify as male to pay more. I think that would cover everything.
                    They should make it voluntary on the tax form like the presidential campaign donation.

"Check here if you want to donate $1000 to Black Reparations for Slavery."

Comment

I want my reparations!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        And what about people whose ancestors came here after the Civil War? Or those who are Native American or, let's say, Chinese and whose ancestors worked on the transcontinental railroad?
                        There are a few families in my church who are descendants of Dr. Robert Mitchell and his wife Jane Clark Mitchell, who helped with the underground railroad in Indiana County, Pennsylvania. They gave shelter to several slaves, among whom was Jared Harris, a slave belonging to Garrett Van Metre of Moorefield, Hardy County of the State of Virginia (now West Virginia). Jared Harris later fled to Canada via the Underground Railroad network.

Van Metre sued Dr. Mitchell for damages resulting from harboring Jared and other runaway slaves in violation of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1793. Trials were held in Pittsburgh's Federal Court in May and November, 1847, and lasted for six years. Finally in 1853, the court fined Dr. Mitchell $500 for damages, in addition to court costs and costs for lost labor, totaling ten thousand dollars (equivalent to about $3.3 million in 2019 dollars). Dr. Mitchell was forced to sell his home and several hundred acres of his farmland.

So I wonder how Dr. Robert and Jane Clark Mitchell's descendants fit into the overall scheme of this reparations plan.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Is anybody else concerned about the effect this will have on race relations today? It seems likely to lead to resentment against those groups who benefit from it.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Is anybody else concerned about the effect this will have on race relations today? It seems likely to lead to resentment against those groups who benefit from it.

It has certainly been the case here. I don't know how many PM's have paid reparations to the indigenous peoples over the years, but a lot of us are getting mighty sick of it.

And now it's homosexuals and Omar Khadr, as I previously noted.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Seems to me that the resentment would be better directed toward the people who institute and maintain the schemes, rather than the beneficiaries thereof.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment