Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reparations

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Reparations

Ok you probably heard about congress debating giving reparations to blacks for slavery.

For the first time in a decade Congress will hold a hearing Wednesday on the subject of reparations for the descendants of slaves in the United States, a topic that has gained traction in the run-up to the 2020 elections.

The hearing is set for June 19, also known as "Juneteenth," the day when in 1865 former enslaved people in Texas first learned that they had been emancipated two years earlier.

The House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties is holding the hearing on H.R. 40, which calls for a commission to "study and develop reparation proposals for African-Americans," including a formal apology by the U.S. government "for the perpetration of gross human rights violations and crimes against humanity on African slaves and their descendants."
    https://www.npr.org/2019/06/18/73388...-for-wednesday

But now....

Elizabeth Warren Wants Reparations For Same-Sex Couples

Democratic Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren has added “gay and lesbian couples” to the growing list of groups for whom she would support reparations.

Citing a tax code that was “discriminatory” against non-heterosexual married couples, Warren tweeted Saturday, “It wasn’t until marriage equality became law that gay & lesbian couples could jointly file tax returns—so they paid more in taxes. Our government owes them more than $50M for the years our discriminatory tax code left them out. We must right these wrongs.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/06/23/e...e-sex-couples/

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Pandering to the radical left... again!

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Pandering to the radical left... again!
    What about the American Indians? Why isn't Warren asking to give them reparations? After claiming to be one all these years.

They have no money to give reparations, other than as a token. This is just the democrats trying to buy votes for the next election. String it along as long as possible, or make it look like the Republicans shot it down, just to get more votes.

Sad.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Canada has been paying reparations to "First Nations" and homosexuals for years now.

We even gave 10.5 million dollars to Omar Khadr for how badly the poor little feller was treated by Americans at Gitmo.

Once this starts, it will never end, folks.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think they owe me reparations for forcing me to pay taxes at the single rate for all the years I worked before I was married. It's only fair, right?
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

6. Amen Sparko, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am against reparations even though the mainstream probably considers it a racist stance at this point in time. I think reparations would be reasonable if there were actually any living former slaves; just like it was reasonable to pay reparations for Japanese American internment.

I get that the argument is that the deck has been stacked against them from the beginning and the money is to make up for that, but let's not pretend race is the only factor that goes into inequality. If you address this one factor (race), then anybody who was born poor, or disabled, etc. can argue "what about me"?
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, it gets really sticky when you consider things like what about people whose ancestors fought and died or were seriously wounded helping to free the slaves? Didn't they more than pay any supposed debt with their blood? And what about people whose ancestors came here after the Civil War? Or those who are Native American or, let's say, Chinese and whose ancestors worked on the transcontinental railroad? And should those blacks whose ancestors weren't living here before the Civil War receive anything? Even those who came from West Africa and whose ancestors may have sold other Africans into slavery?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yeah, it gets really sticky when you consider things like what about people whose ancestors fought and died or were seriously wounded helping to free the slaves? Didn't they more than pay any supposed debt with their blood? And what about people whose ancestors came here after the Civil War? Or those who are Native American or, let's say, Chinese and whose ancestors worked on the transcontinental railroad? And should those blacks whose ancestors weren't living here before the Civil War receive anything? Even those who came from West Africa and whose ancestors may have sold other Africans into slavery?
    If they are going to pay reparations out of the tax pool, that means that blacks are paying reparations too. Hmmm.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    If they are going to pay reparations out of the tax pool, that means that blacks are paying reparations too. Hmmm.
    Heck no. Just amend the tax forms to require straight white biological men who identify as male to pay more. I think that would cover everything.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Heck no. Just amend the tax forms to require straight white biological men who identify as male to pay more. I think that would cover everything.
    They should make it voluntary on the tax form like the presidential campaign donation.

"Check here if you want to donate $1000 to Black Reparations for Slavery."