Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: The Importance of Gratitude

  1. #11
    Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Corryton
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,160
    Amen (Given)
    295
    Amen (Received)
    2910
    If you ever deserved any of it, it wouldn't be grace would it?

  2. #12
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,460
    Amen (Given)
    5949
    Amen (Received)
    11357
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    Sure, but that's when it's most important. What I mean by pure application alone is go to many churches today and the whole point of the Bible is all about how you are to be a good person and all of that. God is brought in on occasion if need be.
    Oh. That's not what I get out of "pure application" at all.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  3. #13
    Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Corryton
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,160
    Amen (Given)
    295
    Amen (Received)
    2910
    What do you have in mind?

  4. #14
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,460
    Amen (Given)
    5949
    Amen (Received)
    11357
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    What do you have in mind?
    Pure application would be a focus on how we can apply the particular passage at hand to living our life in Christ. The setting of a passage and what happens and how it fits in history is good from an intellectual standpoint, but on a practical level, unpacking just want it means to, e.g., "take up your cross and follow Me" complete with illustrative examples is much more pertinent to the average believer on a daily basis. We are not put on this earth to become master exegetes; we are here to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, learning to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and our neighbor as ourselves.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  5. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
  6. #15
    Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Corryton
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,160
    Amen (Given)
    295
    Amen (Received)
    2910
    For me, pure application is taking a passage and ignoring the historical and theological and social context and learning nothing about that and jumping straight to "What does it tell me about me today?"

  7. #16
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,958
    Amen (Given)
    202
    Amen (Received)
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Pure application would be a focus on how we can apply the particular passage at hand to living our life in Christ. The setting of a passage and what happens and how it fits in history is good from an intellectual standpoint, but on a practical level, unpacking just want it means to, e.g., "take up your cross and follow Me" complete with illustrative examples is much more pertinent to the average believer on a daily basis. We are not put on this earth to become master exegetes; we are here to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, learning to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and our neighbor as ourselves.
    The response to such a preaching is frequently
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

  8. #17
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,059
    Amen (Given)
    4780
    Amen (Received)
    21261
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post


    Spongebob treats me like I sometimes treat God.
    same here - I need to talk to God more, just about life, and say "Thank you" more often.

  9. #18
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,879
    Amen (Given)
    11247
    Amen (Received)
    24013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    same here - I need to talk to God more, just about life, and say "Thank you" more often.
    My youngest daughter has been the picture of this for me....

    When she was little, sometimes she would climb up in my lap when I was in my EZchair and wrap her arms around my neck, and say, "Daddy, I love you".

    I'd growl "Oh yeah, what do you want NOW?"

    And she'd giggle and say "I don't want anything - I just want to tell you I love you".

    And she just sent me a text telling me that her coworker wants me to be HER Dad, too!

    reds.jpg

    My baby is the one on the right - people often confuse them for the other person, and/or believe they are sisters.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  10. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
  11. #19
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,059
    Amen (Given)
    4780
    Amen (Received)
    21261
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My youngest daughter has been the picture of this for me....

    When she was little, sometimes she would climb up in my lap when I was in my EZchair and wrap her arms around my neck, and say, "Daddy, I love you".

    I'd growl "Oh yeah, what do you want NOW?"

    And she'd giggle and say "I don't want anything - I just want to tell you I love you".

    And she just sent me a text telling me that her coworker wants me to be HER Dad, too!

    reds.jpg

    My baby is the one on the right - people often confuse them for the other person, and/or believe they are sisters.
    My right or yours?


  12. #20
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,879
    Amen (Given)
    11247
    Amen (Received)
    24013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    My right or yours?

    I'm not sure - I get confused.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •