Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gerrymandering, For Lack Of A Better Word, IS Good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    You and Carpe seem to have pretty low opinions of the legislative process. I grant, it's messy and can easily get lots worse before it gets better but legislatures do tend to work out the excesses - eventually.

May take longer than it should - the legislative branches have been overly dependent on the courts for a while now. They're out of practice.
    I hope you are correct that it will eventually get better. But I feel that there is a tipping point where if it goes to far, there is no coming back.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

While I think this is highly problematic in terms of elections, I do have to admit that it is a tough sell that the Constitution actually forbids partisan gerrymandering. There's some restrictions on gerrymandering, but it is a much tougher argument to say that the Equal Protection Clause prohibits partisan gerrymandering than to say it prohibits racial gerrymandering and requires the equal population.

Maybe there is a legislative fix. The 17th Amendment by all rights should have been impossible to pass. It made state governments less powerful and made it so all of the current Senators were in sudden danger of losing their jobs. But proponents of the amendment were still able to convince 2/3 of senators and 3/4 of state governments to sign off on it. So a legislative or constitutional amendment solution to gerrymandering may be possible.

Comment

Everything changed when he became a martyr.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          For instance, I like to think that historians 100 years from now will regard Barack Obama as the worst US president of the 20th/21st century, but I have no idea if they will since they will be examining the issue with a detachment that I could never have.
          It seems extremely unlikely that Barack Obama will ever be considered as bad a president as either Richard Nixon or Warren Harding, even if there aren't any worse presidents in the next 80 years.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

You and Carpe seem to have pretty low opinions of the legislative process. I grant, it's messy and can easily get lots worse before it gets better but legislatures do tend to work out the excesses - eventually.

May take longer than it should - the legislative branches have been overly dependent on the courts for a while now. They're out of practice.
            I do, when it comes to issues about "retaining power." Look at what the legislatures in many states did in 2018 when they had a trifectas they were about to lose by a change in the governor's mansion. They quickly passed legislation to strip the new governor of powers the existing governor had enjoyed for his entire term. It happened in more than one state. And the Republican gerrymander based on the 2010 census ("Operation Red Map") took gerrymandering to a new low.

Republicans will cling to their power and, now that the courts have cleared the way, Democrats will follow suit if/when they attain power. It will be a long slog for them, given how badly so many states are gerrymandered, But if they get there, unless the better angels of their nature prevail, they will simply respond in kind.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              I do, when it comes to issues about "retaining power." Look at what the legislatures in many states did in 2018 when they had a trifectas they were about to lose by a change in the governor's mansion. They quickly passed legislation to strip the new governor of powers the existing governor had enjoyed for his entire term. It happened in more than one state. And the Republican gerrymander based on the 2010 census ("Operation Red Map") took gerrymandering to a new low.

Republicans will cling to their power and, now that the courts have cleared the way, Democrats will follow suit if/when they attain power. It will be a long slog for them, given how badly so many states are gerrymandered, But if they get there, unless the better angels of their nature prevail, they will simply respond in kind.
              I don't particularly disagree - but I don't think things will stay like that forever - never has before. They eventually figure out that free for alls get them nowhere.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                It seems extremely unlikely that Barack Obama will ever be considered as bad a president as either Richard Nixon or Warren Harding, even if there aren't any worse presidents in the next 80 years.
                Wouldn't bet on that - historians are already taking a kinder view of Nixon.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't particularly disagree - but I don't think things will stay like that forever - never has before. They eventually figure out that free for alls get them nowhere.
                  You have more confidence than I. Frankly, I'm getting to the point where I think this nation is likely to fall before our children's lives are over. And if it doesn't, then we will be leaving our children and grandchildren to "sort things out" AND pay for all the excesses of their parents and grandparents. I find it odd to hear how "robbing the rich to feed the poor" is so bad, but I hear little or no criticism of how we are picking the pockets of the next generations to feed our modern-day gluttony.

But, as MM pointed out, all of this is speculation at best. Time will tell.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Wouldn't bet on that - historians are already taking a kinder view of Nixon.
                    Really? Can you point me to where this is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Another win for the Constitution!
                      seer, that's ridiculous. North Carolina, the state looked at in this case, was gerrymandered by republicans in a way that though the popular vote is a 50-50 split, the result in the state legislature is 10-3 in favor of the republicans. If you think that is how democracy is supposed to function, then you don't understand what democracy is.

Comment

State level should be an even playing field. Electoral boundaries here get readjusted after each election (more or less) so that (if the election were held today) the results of the election would reflect the votes garnered. However, on a national level, I think one state, one vote (or however many for each is decided upon) is a better system.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          seer, that's ridiculous. North Carolina, the state looked at in this case, was gerrymandered by republicans in a way that though the popular vote is a 50-50 split, the result in the state legislature is 10-3 in favor of the republicans. If you think that is how democracy is supposed to function, then you don't understand what democracy is.
                          Seer said it was a win for the Constitution. How exactly does anything in your post disprove that, given you make no mention of the Constitution? Certainly, perhaps partisan gerrymandering is bad... but that doesn't mean it's unconstitutional.

Also, while I will not deny North Carolina is gerrymandered, I do not like the tendency for people to just point to the popular vote and complain about it not matching up with the state legislature. When people are elected by district, it's not supposed to inherently reflect the popular vote. It often does, but that's not the point of having districts.

Indeed, if a state wasn't gerrymandered at all, but had a consistent 50.1% Republican and 49.9% Democrat electorate throughout the full state, that would result in 50.1% of the vote going to Republicans but them getting 100% of the representatives despite there being no gerrymandering. Is that an extreme example? Of course. But it shows the danger in just pointing to a difference in popular vote compared to party representation.
                          Last edited by Terraceth; 06-29-2019, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Incidentally, while we're on the Supreme Court, some fun facts about this term!

In terms of 5-4 decisions, here's how many we had of each justice lineup in terms of majority:
                            Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh: 8
                            Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan, Gorsuch: 4
                            Roberts, Thomas, Ginsburg, Alito, Kavanaugh: 1
                            Roberts, Thomas, Breyer, Alito, Kavanaugh: 1
                            Roberts, Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan: 1
                            Thomas, Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan: 1
                            Thomas, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagan, Gorsuch: 1
                            Thomas, Breyer, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh: 1
                            Ginsburg, Breyer, Alito, Sotomayor, Kagan: 1
                            Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan, Kavanaugh: 1

As we can see, the biggest swing vote this term when it came to 5-4 decisions was... Neil Gorsuch! Didn't see that coming beforehand.

The two justices that were most in agreement overall were Roberts and Kavanaugh, followed by Ginsburg and Sotomayor. But restricting ourselves to 5-4 decisions, it was Sotomayor and Kagan who had the highest rate--100%!--despite being only in 6th place overall.

Not surprising at all to those who pay attention to the Court, but possibly unknown to those who don't: The justice with the highest number of opinions was Clarence Thomas--this comes from his notoriously high number of concurring opinions, with more than half of all the concurring opinions in 2018/2019 by him.

Check out the 2018 SCOTUS Stat Pack

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Jim, that is a issue for the states not federal courts. And there is liberal Gerrymandering to Jim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrym...d_US_districts
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Jim, that is a issue for the states not federal courts. And there is liberal Gerrymandering to Jim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrym...d_US_districts
                                Well, it shouldn't be, it's anti democratic. Yes, it has been done by both dem. and Rep. run states, but Repubs have taken it to a whole new level. In any case, redistricting, if it need be done, should be done by a neutral party, not by those in power who obviously do so with ulterior motives. It's common sense!

Comment