Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gerrymandering, For Lack Of A Better Word, IS Good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Of course you are well aware that the United States is not a democracy.
    It is not a pure democracy - it is a "representative democracy" or "democratic republic" (whichever you prefer) in which those representatives are (presumably) democratically elected.

The real problem is that political parties which are private organizations have taken control of the government which is supposed to function for the public's interests. This latest ruling is not the beginning of the end but simply a symptom of a problem that has existed for decades.
    I agree that fixing "the beginning" on any one event will always result in the inevitable "but this other thing led to that...so..." That is why I said "historians will probably..."
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      That is why I said "historians will probably..."
      I don't believe that any of us can know what historians centuries from now, wholly removed from current passions, will consider to be catalytic moments in time.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't believe that any of us can know what historians centuries from now, wholly removed from current passions, will consider to be catalytic moments in time.
        That's probably why I said, "I suspect historians will look back to this moment as the pivotal shift," instead of the more definitive, "historians will look back to this moment as the pivotal shift."
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That's probably why I said, "I suspect historians will look back to this moment as the pivotal shift," instead of the more definitive, "historians will look back to this moment as the pivotal shift."
          So following the Constitution is a shift?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yes, and your "suspicions" on this matter are neither here nor there. For instance, I like to think that historians 100 years from now will regard Barack Obama as the worst US president of the 20th/21st century, but I have no idea if they will since they will be examining the issue with a detachment that I could never have.

Comment

Yes, and your "suspicions" on this matter are neither here nor there. For instance, I like to think that historians 100 years from now will regard Barack Obama as the worst US president of the 20th/21st century, but I have no idea if they will since they will be examining the issue with a detachment that I could never have.
              So your position is (apparently) no one here should have an opinion on how history will look back on this time. Is that what you are suggesting?

Comment

And a loss for justice and our democratic model.

If/when this experiment we call the United States fails, I suspect historians will look back to this moment as the pivotal shift.
                It puts the ball back in Congress' court.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So your position is (apparently) no one here should have an opinion on how history will look back on this time. Is that what you are suggesting?
                  I'm suggesting that it's pointless because we have no idea what "history" will remember or how it will remember it, and that saying, "I think history will agree with me," is a cheap way of trying to validate your own opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    It puts the ball back in Congress' court.
                    Yes it does. That was basically my point.

Comment

I'm suggesting that it's pointless because we have no idea what "history" will remember or how it will remember it, and that saying, "I think history will agree with me," is a cheap way of trying to validate your own opinion.
                      Agreed that it is pure speculation, and likely spoken as a form of "cheap self-validation." I plead guilty. I find myself somewhat amused that it is being called out here, when there is so much rampant, "if X happened, then Y would result" speculation that happens here and, when I make a similar observation, the position is pretty much always vigorously defended as "justified."*

Let me guess - it's an apples and oranges comparison...

*ETA: that would be "whataboutism" were it not for the fact that I am agreeing with you about my post.

Comment

... I am agreeing with you about my post.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          No Jim, there is no Constitutional justification for Federal courts to be involved. It is a issue for the states...
                          Is there any way for you to actually read my words instead of some made up text I didn't write?

Go back and reread what I said and see if I anywhere implied Federal courts should be in State's business. I even acknowledged that I could see why they would feel they should NOT be in the state's business.

But I also lamented that unfortunately the party in control in the states with the gerrymandering have not the slightest interest in allowing the democratic process to determine the outcome in those states, which is contrary to everything we are supposed to believe in and stand for. Gerrymandering allows a minority to rule. And that is wrong.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

What the courts are basically saying is, "the political process that gives rise to gerrymandering needs to fix the problem," effectively taking the only institution that is supposed to be free of party bias out of the equation, and leaving the institutions that operate on "party bias" to solve a problem that the party in power will never want to solve.

I would say "I hope the Democrats take power and put a stop to this," but I suspect the Democrats will only continue the practice. Just because Republicans currently dominate the gerrymandering model doesn't mean the Democrats won't do exactly the same thing when they take power.

I have little confidence in the honesty and just behavior of either party.
                            Exactly. The two states most guilty are NC and MD. NC is republican. MD is democrat. The problem is that more and more, on the state and the federal level, the controls that were meant to prevent a small group or single person from seizing power are failing and being worked around.

And 'the people' are happy about it. Like sheep led to a slaughter.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Exactly. The two states most guilty are NC and MD. NC is republican. MD is democrat. The problem is that more and more, on the state and the federal level, the controls that were meant to prevent a small group or single person from seizing power are failing and being worked around.

And 'the people' are happy about it. Like sheep led to a slaughter.

Jim
                              You and Carpe seem to have pretty low opinions of the legislative process. I grant, it's messy and can easily get lots worse before it gets better but legislatures do tend to work out the excesses - eventually.

May take longer than it should - the legislative branches have been overly dependent on the courts for a while now. They're out of practice.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Read contemporary accounts of the Lincoln presidency and read modern ones. It’s like they are talking about two different people.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment