Page 60 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids In Cages...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    If the keyboards have all their letters, he'll have done better than Clinton.
    The sense I have is that the Clinton years are generally associated with prosperity. I venture to say your average voter thinks more of the economy than of the controversy of things being removed from the White House (if they even know about that).
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think a big part of Trump's legacy will depend on how he leaves office. He has "joked" too many times about staying past the end of his term so if that plays out in an ugly manner, it'll obviously be a big black mark.
    Eh, I think Trump just likes stirring the pot, and the joke is reliably guaranteed to do that. Trump also likes to float things just to see what reaction he gets, then back off ideas if they look like they're non-starters.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Reagan years are when the idea that deficits don't matter seemed to *really* take off, and that's particularly important to me (esp. since every president with one exception has run with that since), though he does deserve significant credit for building a productive rapport with Gorbachev.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Small minded people tend to live in fear.
    We're not living in fear for ourselves you dimwit, we fear for our country and for democracy itself.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    So if the majority doesn't believe as you, you pick up your toys and leave? But you were recently telling me you would be OK with the majority settling on Communism...
    Yeah, and I would like to believe you would as well if the majority was stupid and the only alternative to leaving would be to stay and live under autocratic rule.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    But you were recently telling me you would be OK with the majority settling on Communism...
    Don't know if it means anything, but I wouldn't.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Eh, I think Trump just likes stirring the pot, and the joke is reliably guaranteed to do that. Trump also likes to float things just to see what reaction he gets, then back off ideas if they look like they're non-starters.
    It is typical for politicians to float trial balloons to see how an idea is received, but what is different with Trump is that he does it himself rather than having someone relatively distant do it (so that if it doesn't do well there is an ability to deny knowledge/responsibility).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A traditional trial balloon is floated once then quietly backed off if the idea gets a poor reception. No matter how we assess this particular thing, it can't be viewed as a trial balloon he's backing off, because there have been multiple instances over an extended period of time.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yeah, I'd have bet money that no one would remember the Reagan Admin favorably - let alone look back on it with nostalgia. Democrats couldn't stand the guy. I still have major issues with Iran-Contra. But, the reality is, he did a darn site better than we were willing to credit at the time.
    The turning around of a stagnant economy (double digit inflation and unemployment plus +20% interest rates) and the collapse of the Soviet Union all but assured that he would be viewed favorably.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

12. Amen RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    A traditional trial balloon is floated once then quietly backed off if the idea gets a poor reception. No matter how we assess this particular thing, it can't be viewed as a trial balloon he's backing off, because there have been multiple instances over an extended period of time.
    I'm not suggesting that Trump is floating a trial balloon here. In fact, I, as much as it pains me to say it, agree with the singular naughty swine. He does it to troll.

I was more narrowly focused on noting that Trump is far from the only one who floats ideas to see the reaction.

14. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.