Page 29 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids In Cages...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Thanks.

I just have to wonder how many illegal immigrants committed crimes for which they have not been arrested, let alone convicted. Much of the "crimes against persons", for example, is committed by persons known to the victims. An illegal alien isn't going to report crimes committed against themselves for risk of being deported.

Also, having been the facilities manager for a gas compression company, I'm personally aware of numerous break-ins of facilities and thefts of goods by illegals who never get caught.

I wonder how big a gap there is between "crimes committed by illegals" and "crimes reported" against illegals.
    There are gaps in all three classes, I'm sure. More people commit crimes than are caught. Unless you know of a specific reason why anyone should suspect the gap for illegal immigrants to be wider than the other two classes, I see no reason to assume it is.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-16-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Undocumented immigrants are, as a percentage, far less likely to commit crimes than are citizens.
    So what? They shouldn't be in this country in the first place to add to our crime rate. No matter how large or small.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    There are gaps in all three classes, I'm sure. More people commit crimes than are caught.
    Ya THINK?

Unless you know of a specific reason why anyone should suspect the gap for illegal immigrants to be wider than the other two classes, I see no reason to assume it is.
    Already said --- many crimes of passion and crimes against persons are committed against people they know. That could very well be other illegals who would not report such crimes. Illegals are much better at "keeping their heads down" than would be the general populace.

Heck, I bet you don't find many illegals committing crimes and boasting of it on Facebook!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Here are the salient charts:

Study 1
    Attachment 38365

Study 2
    Attachment 38366

The first chart isn't quite as persuasive as the WaPo makes out; although immigrant crime rates are less than native crime rates, illegal immigrants commit crimes about 3 times more than legal immigrants.
    I've noted before how shaky some of these studies are often relying on convictions and the like when a substantial portion of illegals who are charged with crimes simply just vanish often returning to their country of origin.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    So what? They shouldn't be in this country in the first place to add to our crime rate. No matter how large or small.
    Yes, there's that obvious -- they have ALREADY committed a crime simply by being here -- which tends to show a disregard for the rule of law.

7. Amen Raphael, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ya THINK?

Already said --- many crimes of passion and crimes against persons are committed against people they know. That could very well be other illegals who would not report such crimes. Illegals are much better at "keeping their heads down" than would be the general populace.

Heck, I bet you don't find many illegals committing crimes and boasting of it on Facebook!
    • Many (most?) crimes are committed against people we know - for all three classes.
    • There could very well be other people of all three classes that do not report such crimes.
    • People in all three classes don't post their crimes on Facebook.

As Jim pointed out, demonizing/dehumanizing a group is a step towards atrocity. Genocide watch identifies the eight stages of genocide. Some of them are innocuous and happen in pretty much any society. Then the line gets crossed and people have already come to accept the stages that have slipped past them unnoticed. The stages are:

1. Classification
    2. Symbolization
    3. Dehumaniization
    4. Organization
    5. Polarization
    6. Preparation
    7. Extermination
    8. Denial

It is frightening that we are now into Stage 6 in the U.S. Of course, the response will be "never here." I'm sure societies around the world have said "never here" just before the reality struck. We are already defending and supporting Stages 1-5 as "acceptable" and "justified."
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As Jim pointed out, demonizing/dehumanizing a group is a step towards atrocity.
    I'm not demonizing anybody, ya big goof, I'm asking QUESTIONS.

10. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not demonizing anybody, ya big goof, I'm asking QUESTIONS.
    I don't believe my post was specifically accusatory to you, other than responding to statements you made that I think had faulty (and target-specific) logic. The rest generally addressed the situation currently underway in this country. My apologies if you took it differently.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't believe any of my post was specifically accusatory to you, but rather addressed the situation currently underway in this country. Apologies if you took it differently.
    I always smile at those "apologies" that place the blame on the other person.

Carpe, I was simply asking some questions to which I did not know the answers. There are times you can be really full of yourself.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I always smile at those "apologies" that place the blame on the other person.

Carpe, I was simply asking some questions to which I did not know the answers. There are times you can be really full of yourself.
    This conversation appears to be heading down the usual hole, so I'll leave the last word to you.