Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Just out curiosity here, not really as rebuttal to your point, but how do you feel that Bush was able to win two terms if things in the Republican Party were so dire thanks to no one pushing back against the leftist mainstream media? Also, while I agree that most media is left leaning and push their own narrative, the Right has always had talk radio viciously attacking the left (and of course, Fox News for a couple decades now). That has to count for something I'd imagine.
    Butting in for a sec:

It's hard to oust any incumbent - but seriously, Kerry was a lackluster candidate. Bush would have had to switch parties for the Dems to win that election.

Okay, leaving now...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      maybe because it is on regular TV? Says the name is "Border Patrol"

found this:

http://www.greenstonetv.com/our-prog...border-patrol/
      https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/border-patrol
      Ahh yes.
      They were filming for it when I went through Melbourne Airport a month ago and Brisbane 2 weeks ago. (and probably will be again when I'm in Brisbane on Monday)
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Just out curiosity here, not really as rebuttal to your point, but how do you feel that Bush was able to win two terms if things in the Republican Party were so dire thanks to no one pushing back against the leftist mainstream media? Also, while I agree that most media is left leaning and push their own narrative, the Right has always had talk radio viciously attacking the left (and of course, Fox News for a couple decades now). That has to count for something I'd imagine.
        There was a pause after 9/11 in the attacks and he was being largely successful militarily in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Comparing talk radio on AM radio to ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, and NBC is like comparing a bathtub full of water with an Olympic size swimming pool full.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Butting in for a sec:

It's hard to oust any incumbent - but seriously, Kerry was a lackluster candidate. Bush would have had to switch parties for the Dems to win that election.

Okay, leaving now...
          There's that too.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            There was a pause after 9/11 in the attacks and he was being largely successful militarily in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Comparing talk radio on AM radio to ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, and NBC is like comparing a bathtub full of water with an Olympic size swimming pool full.
            I don't think so. Talk radio - rush limbaugh - had a sizeable influence and I think gave fox and subsequent conservative media outlets an immediate audience/market. Then add in the internet and the possibility for people to huddle in alcoves of thought that are ingrown and we have a recipe for the current extreme polarization of political thought and rampant misinformation feeding those silos of thought.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It's always so cute when the class dunce calls others such names.
              Except in your case, right.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Except in your case, right.
                That doesn't even make sense.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  First Adrift, the Democrats are every bit as wicked as Trump, and from my standpoint more so. I don't for a minute believe that Hillary was a more moral person. Second, God did use wicked kings and can use Trump.
                  But couldn't use "wicked Hillary" apparently.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

While getting as nasty with people as you get obviously works from a worldly perspective, personally, I feel it goes strongly against the Christian worldview. Scripture is full of examples about how God's ways are not the world's ways. The world answers "hate your enemy as they hate you," but Christ tells us to love our enemies. It's completely counter intuitive, and should blow up in people's faces, but as we see in scripture, our God is a God of making the impossible possible. Of flipping the script.

I'm certain that there will be backlash after Trumps reign, and it'll likely be multitudes worse than what we've seen so far.
                    I very much agree and I am often baffled at what I am reading or seeing when I go to tweb.
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

From my perspective, it's never been that "no one" has been "pushing back," it's that the people being attacked, especially Bush, always left it to others to do the fighting, apparently thinking it unseemly or unchristian. At the time, I appreciated that, smugly thinking it made "my side" look more civilized and mature. I think in general I might still prefer that -- but not from Trump. Let Trump be Trump.

The Right has not "always" had talk radio. I think that largely blossomed as a result of the demise of the FCC "Fairness Doctrine" in the late '80s. During the Clinton Era, Hil used to complain about the fact that Rush had 15 unopposed hours per week, and said the Fairness Doctrine should be restored so that her side could have "equal time." Rush always said, "I *am* equal time," meaning his fifteen hours did nothing more than balance out all the other media. FNC came into existence in 1996, but I don't think I heard of it until a few years later. I don't think my cable system carried it at first.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        But couldn't use "wicked Hillary" apparently.
                        Not necessarily "couldn't" - but I praise Him that He didn't.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Deaths of migrants who illegally crossed the border during the first two years of the Trump administration fell about 20 percent from the eight-year average under the Obama era. This is in sharp contrast to the political rhetoric of Democrat presidential candidates and certain media outlets decrying the treatment of migrants under President Donald Trump’s watch.

During the eight years of the Obama administration, 2,977 migrants died after illegally crossing the southwest border with Mexico — 372 per year on average, according to a report obtained from U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.

During the first two complete fiscal years of the Trump administration, 581 migrants died — an average of 291 per year. Despite massively higher border apprehensions in Fiscal Year 2019, the number of deaths appears to be on par with the two prior years, according to the International Organization for Migrants’ Missing Migrant Project. This represents about a 20 percent drop from the Obama administration’s reported migrant deaths.

https://www.breitbart.com/border/201...n-obama-years/

Trump is showing a surprising amount of restraint for a Hitler wannabe running concentration camps.
                          Where on earth do ANY of these numbers come from? Here is a list of everyone who has died while in ICE custody from 10/7/2003 through 5/31/2017. It numbers 172 total. It includes names, dates of death, dates of birth, and other demographic info.

I'd love to know where 2977 comes from, or even the 500+ under Trump.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            Where on earth do ANY of these numbers come from? Here is a list of everyone who has died while in ICE custody from 10/7/2003 through 5/31/2017. It numbers 172 total. It includes names, dates of death, dates of birth, and other demographic info.

I'd love to know where 2977 comes from, or even the 500+ under Trump.
                            *emphasis mine

Seriously? It's in the VERY FIRST PARAGRAPH and you don't know?

Let me help - 'crossing the border' and 'in custody' are NOT the same thing.

Originally posted by Breitbart
                            During the eight years of the Obama administration, 2,977 migrants died after illegally crossing the southwest border with Mexico — 372 per year on average, according to a report obtained from U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.
                            Source
                            *emphasis mine

They are discussing a reduction of the number of deaths in toto - not just those in custody. It is explicitly stated in the opening paragraph.

Okay, you and MM can argue this for the next five pages now...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Okay, you and MM can argue this for the next five pages now...

Then one of them can feign exasperation and declare "you can have the last word".

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Then one of them can feign exasperation and declare "you can have the last word".
                                That usually happens on page 2 and they keep going for another three pages...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment