Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Sjælsmark has got a reputation for being rather bad and thus there are plans to move families out of there. The new government is a bit more humane with regards to that. Sjælsmark and Lindholm (the remote Island) has been discussed a lot.

What are the problems you are refering to in Denmark?
    The problems with Sjælsmark and the other camps being inhumane. The problems that drove the last government to consider sending the refugees to an island. The problem of actually considering putting them on an island. All while dealing with a much smaller number of people than the US has to. We are talking over 30,000 a month at the southern border.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The problems with Sjælsmark and the other camps being inhumane. The problems that drove the last government to consider sending the refugees to an island. The problem of actually considering putting them on an island. All while dealing with a much smaller number of people than the US has to. We are talking over 30,000 a month at the southern border.
      What other camps are refered to as being inhumane? And you seem to assume that Sjælsmark being inhumane proves a real problem. The real problem was that the old government tried to send a "not welcome" signal by treating refugees in a bad way in that particular place more than others. The remote island idea was pure populism. No need for it and luckily it will not happen.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        Denmark is part of the EU. The EU effectively is open borders
        Umm...I don't think so. Passing country-to-country without passports and/or visas between EU members is supported. I don't think you can simply change countries and automatically gain citizenship in the new country. I'm not sure about the rules related to relocating and living in another EU country long-term. But all of this is only between participating countries.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          I mean the stupid multi-quote is STILL on. I'm trying to irrationally blame you, remember?
          Go ahead an blame, Teal. I have broad shoulders.

Besides...I'm somewhat used to it around here...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Umm...I don't think so. Passing country-to-country without passports and/or visas between EU members is supported. I don't think you can simply change countries and automatically gain citizenship in the new country. I'm not sure about the rules related to relocating and living in another EU country long-term. But all of this is only between participating countries.
            I think right of movement is limited to citizens of EU nations. Which would mean... you are not actually wrong...

For once...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I wish Leonhard visited more often, because this would be a great thing for him to weigh in on.

Comment

• Island is populist?? Like Ellis Island?
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

I think right of movement is limited to citizens of EU nations. Which would mean... you are not actually wrong...

For once...
                  4FourHorsemen.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For once...
                    It happens now and again...

Comment

• Interesting points given by Sam Kim in Christianity Today in the article Are We Morally Distressed by What is Taking Place on Our Border?:

Jesus was a baby born in the Middle East who became a refugee in Africa because of the rage of a mad king. As a migrant who took shelter in a foreign country, he understood the ambivalence of living in the shadows. I can’t think of a better way of lifting Jesus high than saving refugees who are in peril.
                      No matter where we lean politically or how we’ve been informed, the majority of those coming to the southern border today are women and children legally seeking asylum and protection from violence.
                      A recent study by Lifeway Research reveals that the Bible only influences one in ten evangelicals on immigration (10 percent), and at 0.2 percent the local church’s influence in the matter is five times less than that. The study concludes that the secular media, at 16 percent, has more influence on evangelicals on the issue of immigration than the Bible and the local church combined! American evangelicals appear to be more heavily influenced by a cultural and pagan view of immigration than one that is biblical.

Christian apologist Os Guinness asserts that when we look at evangelicalism today, we find the world and the spirit of the age are more dominant than the Word and Spirit of God. The church in the United States is strong numerically, but weak spiritually, because it is worldly. Churches in America are both in the world and of the world; and, as a result, is in a condition of profound cultural captivity.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Interesting points given by Sam Kim in Christianity Today in the article Are We Morally Distressed by What is Taking Place on Our Border?:

No matter where we lean politically or how we’ve been informed, the majority of those coming to the southern border today are women and children legally seeking asylum and protection from violence.
                        Prove that...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Prove that...
                          So, you agree on all the rest? Or was your "prove that" an attempt to avoid the other points Sam Kim made?

Comment

So, you agree on all the rest? Or was your "prove that" an attempt to avoid the other points Sam Kim made?
                            Sam can say what he wants, I don't, and will not, agree with illegal immigration. And remember Jesus and his family went back to their own country nor did they break the laws of the foreign country they found refuge in as far as we know. So again demonstrate that the majority have legal asylum rights by our laws. The fact is recently 65% were denied.

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/539/
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Sam can say what he wants, I don't, and will not, agree with illegal immigration. And remember Jesus and his family went back to their own country nor did they break the laws of the foreign country they found refuge in as far as we know. So again demonstrate that the majority have legal asylum rights by our laws. The fact is recently 65% were denied.

So, you did not answer the question. Are you trying to avoid the other points, or do you actually agree? I and I think you lost track of what he said. He said they are "legally seeking asylum and protection from violence."

Comment

He said "legally seeking asylum and protection from violence." One can apply for asylum and be denied and still be "legally seeking asylum," a point a lot of people on the right seem to ignore, forget, or simply be ignorant of. This is quite likely how Teal and Sparko got off on their tangent that I am somehow for "open borders." I am for hearing the petition of anyone/everyone who crosses our borders and submits themselves immediately to authorities (or applies at one of our embassies) and requests asylum. Because it is currently a fact that anyone so doing will be caught in a multi-year process, giving them access to the U.S. for the entirety of that period, the number of people doing this has soared to get access for that multi-year period, hoping to be able to parlay it into a longer period, have "anchor babies," disappear as an "illegal," etc. To address that reality we need to:

1) Provide points for application outside the U.S.
                                2) Reduce the review process to a few weeks by providing adequate resources to execute those reviews expeditiously.

When people realize that only a fraction of the people applying are being granted asylum because the rest don't meet the requirements, they will tend to think twice about spending massive amount of money and exposing themselves to the dangers of the journey only to be denied and sent back. Meanwhile, we won't be turning away people who actually DO qualify for asylum, so we will continue to be acting in good faith among the international community.

Comment