Page 61 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 903

Thread: Kids In Cages...

  1. #601
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,967
    Amen (Given)
    7646
    Amen (Received)
    5189
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The turning around of a stagnant economy (double digit inflation and unemployment plus +20% interest rates) and the collapse of the Soviet Union all but assured that he would be viewed favorably.
    Sure - but from a Dem POV back then we were sure 'history' would see things our way.

  2. #602
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,967
    Amen (Given)
    7646
    Amen (Received)
    5189
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    ... He does it to troll.

    ...



    The scary part is it works for him a lot of the time.

  3. #603
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,182
    Amen (Given)
    1666
    Amen (Received)
    4455
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Sure - but from a Dem POV back then we were sure 'history' would see things our way.
    That was one thing I respected about GWB; he was more concerned about the view from the long term than the short.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  5. #604
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,484
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1087
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I was a Democrat then.


    I don't think I am - I think a lot of Democrats are waking up to find the party has moved away from them and they are tired of chasing it.

    We'll see.
    We will indeed. I think (hope?) that Trump's take-over of the Republican party and gutting it of anything approaching values/principles will trigger exactly the reaction from the left that Adrift predicts. In the past, I have not advocated for single-party control of the Executive and both houses of Congress - but in 2020 I'm making an exception. This country needs a unified Congress and Executive under Democratic control to undo as much of the damage as possible (nationally and internationally) that Trump & Co. has managed in just 2.5 years.

    Each day comes a new revelation. Did you know that scientists with federal funding who have completed their research and have peer-reviewed results to publish are now required to publish their findings as "preliminary" until they are reviewed by designated politicians and deemed acceptable? I just learned that today. Shades of the Soviet "political officers" of yesteryear. Politicians screened scientific findings under Bush Jr., and here we go again. If you want to control a population - control the information. It's why we have "fake news" levied at any outlet that dares to criticize this administration, and cozying up to a news outlet and small collection of pundits, and all of the other ways that information is being throttled.

    Fortunately, in the age of the Internet - truly throttling information is a very difficult thing to do. Eventually - information gets out. Someday, perhaps when Trump is out of office, I hope there will be an investigation into his shady dealings. I'll be very surprised if he is not the first ex-president to do jail time. Or maybe I'm just engaging in wishful thinking...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  6. #605
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,728
    Amen (Given)
    2120
    Amen (Received)
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Carpe, MOST of that will depend on who the Democrats put up for election. If they were to actually run a centrist - somebody who wasn't an extreme leftist nutjob, I don't think Trump would have a chance. It is every bit as much the fault of the Democrats as it is Trump or his supporters.
    But still a solid 30-some percent of us would still deplorably vote for Bad Orange Man.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Nationalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  7. #606
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,296
    Amen (Given)
    6758
    Amen (Received)
    6517
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yeah, I'd have bet money that no one would remember the Reagan Admin favorably - let alone look back on it with nostalgia. Democrats couldn't stand the guy. I still have major issues with Iran-Contra. But, the reality is, he did a darn site better than we were willing to credit at the time.
    My family adored Reagan. Unlike Trump, he was incredibly likable, and extremely charismatic. I agree that he was heavily disliked by the other party, but I don't feel it's anything like what we've seen with Trump (at least I don't remember it that way). I've never seen anything like what we're seeing today.

  8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  9. #607
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,919
    Amen (Given)
    1603
    Amen (Received)
    1438
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    My family adored Reagan. Unlike Trump, he was incredibly likable, and extremely charismatic. I agree that he was heavily disliked by the other party, but I don't feel it's anything like what we've seen with Trump (at least I don't remember it that way).I've never seen anything like what we're seeing today.
    And for good reason.

  10. #608
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,967
    Amen (Given)
    7646
    Amen (Received)
    5189
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    My family adored Reagan. Unlike Trump, he was incredibly likable, and extremely charismatic. I agree that he was heavily disliked by the other party, but I don't feel it's anything like what we've seen with Trump (at least I don't remember it that way). I've never seen anything like what we're seeing today.
    No one has - the country has gone insane. But Trump isn't the cause - might have set it off but he didn't bring the powder keg.

    The Internet makes matters worse - it takes time for rumors to flow around the water cooler circuit but no time at all for stupid crap to hit the Internet. That makes things seem more immediate and more dire than they really are.

    The left is going into lala land with no end in sight. The right is letting them do it - actively pushing in some cases (this likely includes Trump). Rhetoric is WAY out of hand - and the right is actually more taking a 'fine, drive off the cliff, see if we care' approach than I've ever seen before (including Bob Dole's comical presidential run).

    I suspect we're finally seeing a new party system beginning (only thirty years overdue). The Democrats can't go on like this much longer - they have got to have a centrist message and soon to even have a shot at the presidency. Four FRESHMEN congressmen are driving the platform - that is so beyond the pale insane I haven't words for it. If Pelosi doesn't get them under control and soon, the Democrats will lose more than the presidential election in 2020. And I haven't even started on that insanely large field of candidates....

  11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  12. #609
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,259
    Amen (Given)
    2755
    Amen (Received)
    3069
    oddly enough the link isn't even available in NZ
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

  13. #610
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,296
    Amen (Given)
    6758
    Amen (Received)
    6517
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No one has - the country has gone insane. But Trump isn't the cause - might have set it off but he didn't bring the powder keg.

    The Internet makes matters worse - it takes time for rumors to flow around the water cooler circuit but no time at all for stupid crap to hit the Internet. That makes things seem more immediate and more dire than they really are.

    The left is going into lala land with no end in sight. The right is letting them do it - actively pushing in some cases (this likely includes Trump). Rhetoric is WAY out of hand - and the right is actually more taking a 'fine, drive off the cliff, see if we care' approach than I've ever seen before (including Bob Dole's comical presidential run).

    I suspect we're finally seeing a new party system beginning (only thirty years overdue). The Democrats can't go on like this much longer - they have got to have a centrist message and soon to even have a shot at the presidency. Four FRESHMEN congressmen are driving the platform - that is so beyond the pale insane I haven't words for it. If Pelosi doesn't get them under control and soon, the Democrats will lose more than the presidential election in 2020. And I haven't even started on that insanely large field of candidates....
    I agree that it takes two to tango. I believe that decades of PC culture, identity politics, and "progressive" policies foisted upon at least half the nation (and especially pushed by the media) largely resulted in Trump's election, and the emboldened nationalism we're seeing. Trump does nothing but add bricks to the fire, which isn't helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •