Page 17 of 91 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids In Cages...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Question - why do you not ask how horrible the conditions must be in their own country that they would be willing to endure such in the chance they might find something better here?

You guys are thinking so wrong about this. Most of these are poor, desperate people looking for a better life.

Jim
    At least you seem to understand that they aren't a bunch of people fleeing for their lives but vamoosing for a better life.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

2. Amen RumTumTugger, Raphael amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    At least you seem to understand that they aren't a bunch of people fleeing for their lives but vamoosing for a better life.
    You make a general statement about who "they" are as if these persons were not individuals who had all sorts of different reasons for leaving their country. And the children had no choice what so ever.

I am not sure you completely got the point in what Ox wrote.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Question - why do you not ask how horrible the conditions must be in their own country that they would be willing to endure such in the chance they might find something better here?
    Most of them have been told what a wonderful land of milk and honey the USA is, that is why they are coming here. Not running away from a war-torn country. But when they do get here, they are still at the bottom of the heap, poor and homeless.

You guys are thinking so wrong about this. Most of these are poor, desperate people looking for a better life.
    Jim
    and most will end up homeless, picking crops for pennies, or becoming virtual slaves being taken advantage of by unscrupulous employers.

5. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is not a criticism - but I wonder how there could be such completely different assessments. Someone must be lying or mistaken - I sure would like to know definitively what the real story is. Anybody live near homestead Fl that would be capable/willing to make a visit and let us know what they find? You'd probably need to volunteer to help out a group that is already working with the shelter.

Jim
    I think it is because the democrats have an agenda. And they play it to the hilt. They were just caught again a few days ago using photos from 2014 in some tweets. They know better but don't care. They have a story they want to sell and they will do whatever it takes to sell it.

That is my opinion anyway. I know you will take it with a grain of salt. But I trust what hispanic pastors say over what congressmen and women are saying, because I don't think the pastors (many who are hispanic themselves) have any agenda other than the well being of the people in the camps.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think it is because the democrats have an agenda. And they play it to the hilt. They were just caught again a few days ago using photos from 2014 in some tweets. They know better but don't care. They have a story they want to sell and they will do whatever it takes to sell it.

That is my opinion anyway. I know you will take it with a grain of salt. But I trust what hispanic pastors say over what congressmen and women are saying, because I don't think the pastors (many who are hispanic themselves) have any agenda other than the well being of the people in the camps.
    Now, if this Hispanic pastor had scrubbed his media presence showing he was a very opinionated political activist prior to his testimony......
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There are plenty of Americans living in squalor, in dangerous neighborhoods being terrorized by gangs (many whom have come from South America like MS13) - Why aren't we helping them "immigrate" to a better place?

If being poor and living in a crime ridden neighborhood is reason enough that we should take in every refugee then pretty soon we will have all of south america living here. And if they are fleeing criminals then why didn't they stay in Mexico where they were offered sanctuary?

9. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Did you read what the Question I was wondering why Sparko wasn't asking.

This many people don't endure what they have to endure to get here because they want 3 TV's instead of 2. They do it because they are barely surviving or they are in mortal danger. There will be exceptions, and I'm sure you are basing the comment above on those exceptions - but the people coming here under circumstances like those depicted in the photo are coming here because they are living in conditions not one of us would tolerate. Who in their right mind endures that? Desperate people is the answer.

I just don't understand how you can be so callous. I mean - didn't Jesus talk about Lazurus every day begging and the rich man who ignored him? Doesn't that make you at least pause to consider what you are saying here? Jesus indicates in that parable that people like you and I that are rich by most of the worlds standards that turn a deaf ear to the needs of the poor will spend eternity in Hell. Does that not deserve a bit of caution here?

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-12-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    There are plenty of Americans living in squalor, in dangerous neighborhoods being terrorized by gangs (many whom have come from South America like MS13) - Why aren't we helping them "immigrate" to a better place?

If being poor and living in a crime ridden neighborhood is reason enough that we should take in every refugee then pretty soon we will have all of south america living here. And if they are fleeing criminals then why didn't they stay in Mexico where they were offered sanctuary?
    That is an excuse Sparko. We are required by our faith to help the poor. Period. And trying to impose the minority exception on the majority trying to get in here is just not right. If 10% are trying to get here for the wrong reasons, that still leaves 90% struggling and enduring horrible conditions hoping for a better life to the point they are willing to endure what you showed in that picture. And we are not allowed by our faith to dismiss that or just look the other way and pretend it doesn't exist or is not happening.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You used to better than this. I must say I'm disappointed.
    That’s because I don’t troll, and as to disappointment, while I would never reject your approval, neither do I look for it because that is not the nature of our mutual quest for justice.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Did you read what the Question I was wondering why Sparko wasn't asking.

This many people don't endure what they have to endure to get here because they want 3 TV's instead of 2. They do it because they are barely surviving or they are in mortal danger. There will be exceptions, and I'm sure you are basing the comment above on those exceptions - but the people coming here under circumstances like those depicted in the photo are coming here because they are living in conditions not one of us would tolerate. Who in their right mind endures that? Desperate people is the answer.

I just don't understand how you can be so callous. I mean - didn't Jesus talk about Lazurus every day begging and the rich man who ignored him? Doesn't that make you at least pause to consider what you are saying here? Jesus indicates in that parable that people like you and I that are rich by most of the worlds standards that turn a deaf ear to the needs of the poor will spend eternity in Hell. Does that not deserve a bit of caution here?

Jim
    Then go to the border and help them legally. There is nothing in the Bible that compels a nation to ignore its own security and well-being for the sake of "charity". Even Israel was instructed to put conquered nations to the sword because Israel lacked the means to care for a sudden influx of people without risking its own survival (among other reasons).

If we were to allow millions of "refugees" to freely pour across the border and disappear into the country, it wouldn't take long before America's quality of life began to plummet. It's like the difference between your church running a food pantry, and opening its front doors and letting anybody off the street come into the building without restriction. How long do you think it would take before even the nicest church facility became a slum?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra