Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Most communist dictatorships are put in place whole cloth via revolution.
    Yeah, some charismatic "savior" manages to dupe a bunch of desperate people into thinking that he, alone, can solve their problems.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Belize is actually making a business of forming retirement communities to attract U.S. citizens. I have several friends that are doing that. I hope to visit them in the next year and see what it's all about.
      Yes, it is a nice area, low crime, good living standards, etc.

So if Guatemala is such a horrible and dangerous place that people are fleeing it looking for asylum, why are they traveling in caravan after caravan to the USA in a 3000 mile dangerous trek, instead of to Belize?

This question is mostly for Oxmix who has been pushing the idea that these people are desperate to escape the physical dangers of Guatemala, but feel free to answer it if you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Fox is a ratings champion because old conservatives have a hard time figuring out the internet outside of Facebook, and Fox TV and talk radio is something dinosaurs can still relate to.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So if Guatemala is such a horrible and dangerous place that people are fleeing it looking for asylum, why are they traveling in caravan after caravan to the USA in a 3000 mile dangerous trek, instead of to Belize

This question is mostly for Oxmix who has been pushing the idea that these people are desperate to escape the physical dangers of Guatemala, but feel free to answer it if you want.
          Maybe Belize won't let them in?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Most of those communities have immigration requirements, including verifiable "solid income".

You must live in Belize for 50 consecutive weeks before you can apply for permanent residence. To do this, enter the country on a tourist visa and then renew your visa every 30 days until you reach 50 weeks. ... If you want to apply for permanent residence, talk to the local Immigration official early in your trip.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              The evil bigots!!!
              We should help those poor immigrants get into Belize!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Most of those communities have immigration requirements, including verifiable "solid income".
                So they are evil and hate immigrants...

Comment

• Obama was a racist bigot who hated immigrants! Not only did he separate children and keep them in cages, just look at what he said. He is so callous!

FLASHBACK: Obama said in 2014 crime and poverty not enough for asylum claim

President Barack Obama said in 2014 that seeking asylum in the United States was "narrowly defined," and likely wouldn't apply to most people seeking asylum at the southern border. He said in a press conference, "Under U.S. law, we admit a certain number of refugees from all around the world based on some pretty narrow criteria. Typically, refugee status is not granted just based on economic need or because a family lives in a bad neighborhood or poverty. It's typically defined, fairly narrowly. You have a state, for example, that was targeting a political activist and they need to get out of the country for fear of prosecution or even death."

Obama's interpretation of U.S. immigration and asylum law contradicts the feelings of many current Democratic lawmakers who have called for the decriminalization of unauthorized border crossings, the closing of migrant detention centers, and the abolition of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Obama further stated of the migrants at the southern border, "There may be some narrow circumstances in which there is a humanitarian or refugee status that a family might be eligible for. If that were the case, it would be better for them to apply in-country, rather than take a very dangerous journey all the way up to Texas to make those same claims. But, I think it's important to recognize that would not necessarily accommodate a large number of additional migrants."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-asylum-claim

Comment

Yeah I hear Belize is nice.

Gee, I wonder why the people running for their lives from Guatemala didn't head there instead?

Silly pirate. They wouldn't want to go where the predominant language is different from the one you speak. Up until 1981 it was known as British Honduras and English is their official language[1]. It is much easier to assimilate if you speak the same language.

1 Spanish is actually only the third most widely used language in Belize. There is a native dialect that mixes English, Mayan and bits from various African language into something they call Creole (not to be confused with what is spoken by some in Louisiana).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So if Guatemala is such a horrible and dangerous place that people are fleeing it looking for asylum, why are they traveling in caravan after caravan to the USA in a 3000 mile dangerous trek, instead of to Belize?

Anything I might say would be pure speculation. I have no idea.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        There are a number of places like that in Central and South America. My CPA has moved to such a community, because he said he can live in what's comparable to a mansion with a yard man* for his social security check alone. All he needed for "proof of income" was his Social Security check. And there's an entire community of expats living there, so it's not like living in a "foreign country".

*ok, so he lives there with his wife, not with the yard man
                        Several communities like that in Costa Rica that I'm aware of.

Still, it does seem just a bit disquieting that new arrivals are warned to keep a bug-out bag nearby -- just in case. And to know where the nearest airport is wherever you go -- just in case.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          ...and bits from various African language into something they call Creole (not to be confused with what is spoken by some in Louisiana).
                          ...or Haiti

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Silly pirate. They wouldn't want to go where the predominant language is different from the one you speak. Up until 1981 it was known as British Honduras and English is their official language[1]. It is much easier to assimilate if you speak the same language.

1 Spanish is actually only the third most widely used language in Belize. There is a native dialect that mixes English, Mayan and bits from various African language into something they call Creole (not to be confused with what is spoken by some in Louisiana).
                            Oh yeah, silly me.

There is always Costa Rica and Panama.
                            Last edited by Sparko; 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Anything I might say would be pure speculation. I have no idea.
                              I think this should be your default answer for all subsequent posts.

Comment

Reagan? Really?
                                I was a Democrat then.

Yeah - I think you're probably wrong on most of this, except the court. There is no doubt the court(s) has(have) skewed right, but that is a natural consequence of McConnell seat theft and the 2016 election. What is amazing to me is that McConnell is not even shy about noting that if a SCOTUS seat opens up in 2020, he will see to it that it is filled - completely exposing the lie of his 2016 claims. It's almost as if the Republican politicians have become so confident (or scared of Trump?), they don't even need to obscure the lies they tell anymore.

What is happening today in the Democratic party is the same thing that happened in 2016 with the sea of Republicans: positioning and differentiating to secure the nomination. Yes, there is a rift in the Democratic party - but it's no better/worse than the rift in the Republican party that made it impossible for them to move on healthcare (or almost anything else) when they had both houses of Congress.

As best I can tell, Trump is trying for a "Hail Mary" by trying to "tie Democrats to the Squad." I think his political calculus is flawed. That being said, I find the fact that the current gap between Democratic front runners and Trump is within single-digit percentage points more than a little dismaying. It does not say much for the United States I grew up in that Trump is not only president, but that close to half the electorate is cheering almost everything he does: good, bad, and very ugly.

But you know, I realize I'm tired of Trump - and tired of the political climate. I think I'll go weed a garden and finish the course I'm writing. Then I might go see a movie.
                                I don't think I am - I think a lot of Democrats are waking up to find the party has moved away from them and they are tired of chasing it.

We'll see.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment