Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Disagree with your disagreement.
    Who said you get to disagree with my disagreement?

The Democrat Party will very likely end up using the tactics used by the Trump and Republicans within this period to move one of their own in, and then lock down areas that at one time saw at least some bi-partisanship. The nation is becoming more polarized, not less so.
    Not if they don't get something coherent together quickly - they are only a few months from primary season with a huge field of candidates, none particularly strong.

Obama didn't ruin healthcare for most people. Most folks didn't even register the change, or if they did it was a slight inconvenience. Like you, I work in the healthcare industry, and it really didn't impact our business or bottom line much (might have helped actually). If Obama hadn't pushed through his healthcare plan, the two sides would have remained deadlocked forever (as we saw last year, it's not like Republicans have a map they want to commit to anyways). At the very least, Obama primed the well, and showed that change isn't really as frightening as everyone was on about. Most of the world accepts human contributed climate change as a reality and real threat. It'll continue to be a vanguard issue for those who want to better the planet for their posterity, and I think Conservatives in America are finally coming around to the fact that something is happening.
    I worked for Colorado's exchange for about a year and a half - those Bronze plans were mostly garbage. Many people were settling for high deductibles and screwy coverage. Granted, it can be better than nothing - but not if you end up actually having to pay for it or if you've settled for something with a deductible you can't actually afford.

The Court is a win today, but I believe that future generations will look back on this time and swing back heavily as a counter-reaction to Trump's administration. Any other Conservative president could have probably gotten away with packing the Court with Conservative judges, but Trump has dumped so much bad will, and I think will go down as one of the most reviled and most immoral presidents that I think future voters will seek petty retribution.
    I think it's the exact opposite - most voters don't care about the Court enough to make a vengeance vote about it. As the Court starts weeding out a lot of the nonsense that has accumulated, and youngsters realize the world does not end when there isn't a finger on the scale, Trump may well be looked at more favorably. Although I grant I expect that more from the historic, not the current, perspective.

The internet is a FAR cry from a net benefit to Conservatives. Fox is a ratings champion because old conservatives have a hard time figuring out the internet outside of Facebook, and Fox TV and talk radio is something dinosaurs can still relate to. Meanwhile, tech savvy college kids, brainwashed by radical neo-Marxist, Postmodern professors, are echoing far left group-think far and wide on the internet. It's a place they're completely comfortable with.
    You don't get out much, do you?

The conservative voice is very much present - even on YouTube, despite its best efforts.

If history is any indication, I have strong doubts that Millennials will become more conservative as time progresses, or that if they do, that conservatism will still look very left to anyone over 40.
    Actually, yeah, that's exactly what we'll see initially - but as time progresses, it'll tick further right. That's something we've been seeing for a very long time now. Granted there are exceptions - people in extremely liberal areas may not change much - or at least not voice it.

No, I think the days are getting darker, and Trump is part of moving this nation and this world in that direction. I don't think he's the anti-Christ or anything. I don't think he's particularly evil as much as I think he's a scumbag. But I do think that he's going to be a fuse to a powder keg to something worse, just in the opposite direction.
    I completely disagree - assuming you're even mostly right about his character, that doesn't make sense. Once (assuming) he wins re-election, his focus will start to shift to 'legacy' - it's almost an instinct. Presidents want to be remembered well.

My opinion, is he will work toward the concrete - getting things done. That's the businessman metric. He won't care that the left hates him - just that he did what his customers wanted.

In the meantime, us Christians can simply refocus our energies to those within reach in our local hemispheres, and do what Christians have always done. Display our love for God, and our love for our neighbor.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Who said you get to disagree with my disagreement?

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Not if they don't get something coherent together quickly - they are only a few months from primary season with a huge field of candidates, none particularly strong.
      I don't mean in this upcoming election. I mean in the years and decades following Trump's reelection (assuming he's reelected, and I think it's very likely he will be).

I think it's the exact opposite - most voters don't care about the Court enough to make a vengeance vote about it. As the Court starts weeding out a lot of the nonsense that has accumulated, and youngsters realize the world does not end when there isn't a finger on the scale, Trump may well be looked at more favorably. Although I grant I expect that more from the historic, not the current, perspective.
      We'll see I guess.

You don't get out much, do you?

The conservative voice is very much present - even on YouTube, despite its best efforts.
      Oh, it's present, but it's far from prevalent, and we're seeing quite a bit of it shut down in places exactly like Youtube.

Actually, yeah, that's exactly what we'll see initially - but as time progresses, it'll tick further right. That's something we've been seeing for a very long time now. Granted there are exceptions - people in extremely liberal areas may not change much - or at least not voice it.
      Hmm. Well I guess we'll find out.

I completely disagree - assuming you're even mostly right about his character, that doesn't make sense. Once (assuming) he wins re-election, his focus will start to shift to 'legacy' - it's almost an instinct. Presidents want to be remembered well.

My opinion, is he will work toward the concrete - getting things done. That's the businessman metric. He won't care that the left hates him - just that he did what his customers wanted.
      I don't think Trump cares about his legacy. This is a guy who should have jumped off of Twitter well before his election, and continues to stir stuff up, not because he's actually some 4D chess wizard steps ahead of everyone else, but because he's a spoiled man-child used to getting his way, and not being told no, and will do whatever he pleases. But...again, we'll see I suppose.

Comment

• I think a big part of Trump's legacy will depend on how he leaves office. He has "joked" too many times about staying past the end of his term so if that plays out in an ugly manner, it'll obviously be a big black mark.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I think a big part of Trump's legacy will depend on how he leaves office. He has "joked" too many times about staying past the end of his term so if that plays out in an ugly manner, it'll obviously be a big black mark.
          If the keyboards have all their letters, he'll have done better than Clinton.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post

I don't mean in this upcoming election. I mean in the years and decades following Trump's reelection (assuming he's reelected, and I think it's very likely he will be).

We'll see I guess.

Oh, it's present, but it's far from prevalent, and we're seeing quite a bit of it shut down in places exactly like Youtube.

Hmm. Well I guess we'll find out.

I don't think Trump cares about his legacy. This is a guy who should have jumped off of Twitter well before his election, and continues to stir stuff up, not because he's actually some 4D chess wizard steps ahead of everyone else, but because he's a spoiled man-child used to getting his way, and not being told no, and will do whatever he pleases. But...again, we'll see I suppose.
            Yeah, I'd have bet money that no one would remember the Reagan Admin favorably - let alone look back on it with nostalgia. Democrats couldn't stand the guy. I still have major issues with Iran-Contra. But, the reality is, he did a darn site better than we were willing to credit at the time.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If the keyboards have all their letters, he'll have done better than Clinton.
              The sense I have is that the Clinton years are generally associated with prosperity. I venture to say your average voter thinks more of the economy than of the controversy of things being removed from the White House (if they even know about that).
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think a big part of Trump's legacy will depend on how he leaves office. He has "joked" too many times about staying past the end of his term so if that plays out in an ugly manner, it'll obviously be a big black mark.
                Eh, I think Trump just likes stirring the pot, and the joke is reliably guaranteed to do that. Trump also likes to float things just to see what reaction he gets, then back off ideas if they look like they're non-starters.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The Reagan years are when the idea that deficits don't matter seemed to *really* take off, and that's particularly important to me (esp. since every president with one exception has run with that since), though he does deserve significant credit for building a productive rapport with Gorbachev.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Small minded people tend to live in fear.
                    We're not living in fear for ourselves you dimwit, we fear for our country and for democracy itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      So if the majority doesn't believe as you, you pick up your toys and leave? But you were recently telling me you would be OK with the majority settling on Communism...
                      Yeah, and I would like to believe you would as well if the majority was stupid and the only alternative to leaving would be to stay and live under autocratic rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        But you were recently telling me you would be OK with the majority settling on Communism...
                        Don't know if it means anything, but I wouldn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Eh, I think Trump just likes stirring the pot, and the joke is reliably guaranteed to do that. Trump also likes to float things just to see what reaction he gets, then back off ideas if they look like they're non-starters.
                          It is typical for politicians to float trial balloons to see how an idea is received, but what is different with Trump is that he does it himself rather than having someone relatively distant do it (so that if it doesn't do well there is an ability to deny knowledge/responsibility).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• A traditional trial balloon is floated once then quietly backed off if the idea gets a poor reception. No matter how we assess this particular thing, it can't be viewed as a trial balloon he's backing off, because there have been multiple instances over an extended period of time.

Comment

Yeah, I'd have bet money that no one would remember the Reagan Admin favorably - let alone look back on it with nostalgia. Democrats couldn't stand the guy. I still have major issues with Iran-Contra. But, the reality is, he did a darn site better than we were willing to credit at the time.
                              The turning around of a stagnant economy (double digit inflation and unemployment plus +20% interest rates) and the collapse of the Soviet Union all but assured that he would be viewed favorably.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A traditional trial balloon is floated once then quietly backed off if the idea gets a poor reception. No matter how we assess this particular thing, it can't be viewed as a trial balloon he's backing off, because there have been multiple instances over an extended period of time.
                                I'm not suggesting that Trump is floating a trial balloon here. In fact, I, as much as it pains me to say it, agree with the singular naughty swine. He does it to troll.

I was more narrowly focused on noting that Trump is far from the only one who floats ideas to see the reaction.

Comment