Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I have to wonder, when somebody preaches that "they are our neighbors" speech - how many of these "neighbors" those people have taken into their own homes.

Some of the very politicians who rail against "the wall" live in gated communities with their own walls. But, then again, many of the liberals who are anti-gun have armed guards protecting them...
    So what you are saying is that to have the moral authority to ask people to see these people with humanity and compassion I must first invite 20 of them to live in my home, feed them and clothe them?

I dont think so.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      (Speking to all, not just MM)

Looking these posts over there is a clear disonnect between how you speak about the people on our borders and how you act towards those in need in your local communities. The latter - those in need here - seems right in line with what it should be. In many cases not merely good but great. But then you turn around and callously paint these people on the borders as if they are objects, things, not real human beings that are truly suffering

I dont believe the words you using when speaking about the border reflect the goodness that is ciearly in you and demonstrated as you deal with the homeless or poor in your own local environments.

Please take a moment to see these people as you would see them if they were standing in line at your food pantry, or if they were kids at your vbs or comunity outreach

Try to see beyond the politics and into the eyes and hearts of these people on our borders. Allow yourselves to see them as if they were your neighbors, or family members of an immigrant friend, or the homeless fellow on the steet corner.

Their suffering is at least as great. Their need is at least as much.

Jim
      When you realize that they had obtained what they claim they wanted, political sanctuary, the moment that they crossed Mexico's southern border, but spurned that and decided to drag their children a couple thousand more miles through deserts, mountainous terrain and territories controlled by various ruthless and savage drug cartels, the sympathy level tends to shrink.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        I don't think that Jim ever suggested that we throw open the borders, Tea. I believe he was saying that ya'll should try and see immigrants, and treat the immigrants, more like human beings. That should be an integral part of immigration reform policy.
        Are we talking about those who come here legally, or those who say, "To hell with your laws, we want our free stuff"?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So what you are saying is that to have the moral authority to ask people to see these people with humanity and compassion I must first invite 20 of them to live in my home, feed them and clothe them?

I dont think so.

Jim
          It must be very hard for Cow Poke to preach if he thinks this is the necessary implication. However, if one thinks along those lines, it is a very, very convenient excuse for not doing anything.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Are we talking about those who come here legally, or those who say, "To hell with your laws, we want our free stuff"?
            Have you heard any of the small children separated from their parents say that?
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              We are talking about human beings who come here and are in U.S. custody.

Comment

What Im addressing teal is the tendency to paint the people at the border as objects, as criminals, as a danger to us. In the picture Sparko posted, he attacked the parents. What kind of parent could put their kid through this. He ignored the obvious human question of what kind of horrible conditions are they fleeing that would make parents believe they must endure this for their own and their children's well being.

Sparko's question assumes the immigrating parents are bad people, negligent, selfish. Why assume that? Why dehumanize them that way. Instead I propose ask what could be so bad that a normal parent who loves their children would believe that enduring what that picture shows is the best long term option? Asking that question brings us farther away from judgement and closer to compassion.

Jim
                And that is the heart of it. Very many people in these discussions think they can avoid their moral obligation by dehumanizing those in need. That is how they "solve" the problem and live and talk in a contradiction to what one would assume they would actually think about other persons. This is also why they have such a hard time adressing this from the perspective of the innocent children since it is much harder to dehumanize them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  We are talking about human beings who come here and are in U.S. custody.
                  Are we talking about those who are here legally, or those who have broken our laws to get in?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    It must be very hard for Cow Poke to preach if he thinks this is the necessary implication. However, if one thinks along those lines, it is a very, very convenient excuse for not doing anything.
                    Cow Poke never said any such thing --- Jim kinda got carried away revising and extending my remarks and inventing numbers. And I actually DO practice what I preach, you arrogant ass - Mrs CP and I have hosted numerous immigrants, helping them to enter the country LEGALLY, and helping them find jobs and education.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cow Poke never said any such thing --- Jim kinda got carried away revising and extending my remarks and inventing numbers. And I actually DO practice what I preach, you arrogant ass - Mrs CP and I have hosted numerous immigrants, helping them to enter the country LEGALLY, and helping them find jobs and education.
                      No cp. You are implying I cant comment on statements that dehumanize the people on the border unless I am actively involved with housing them. And that is simply not true. And i am not sure why you seem to think it is ok to dehumanize desparate people that believe or have been told in the current environment it is impossible to escape their situation "legally". Why can you only find compassion for those not so desperate as those at the border in the cages?

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-14-2019, 07:50 AM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

...And I actually DO practice what I preach, you arrogant ass - Mrs CP and I have hosted numerous immigrants, helping them to enter the country LEGALLY, and helping them find jobs and education.
                        This brought back happy thoughts.

Our favorite such situation was when we hosted 4 young women - one from Mexico and three from Central America - and they were thrilled to death to share one bedroom in our home. (we had two of our own daughters in their own bedrooms) They all got their green cards, and eventually, three of the four got their US Citizenship. One of the Central American girls decided to go back home. The only one of that group with whom we still have regular contact was the young lady from Mexico, "Chely", who not only got her US Citizenship, but went on to get her Master's degree, and runs a Hispanic Christian Radio Station.

When we found out that the annual tuition for Chely was only $540 -- ANNUAL TUITION -- our church decided to fund her education. We keep up with each other on Facebook, where she is known as "My Favorite Mexican Daughter".
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No cp.
                          Jim, I apologize for trying to interact with you -- I had previously decided that was fruitless.

Comment

Jim, I apologize for trying to interact with you -- I had previously decided that was fruitless.
                            Yes, I agree. As long as you remain in a mental state where you cant face the hard questions I might ask, it is fruitless for you to try to interact with me.

Jim

Comment

Yes, I agree. As long as you remain in a mental state where you cant face the hard questions I might ask, it is fruitless for you to try to interact with me.

Jim
                              Bless your heart.

Comment

Jim
                                Completely agree.

Comment