Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Be specific, Sparko. Which democrat policies are destroying the country, and how?
    The Green New Deal, Socialized Healthcare, Free College, Free healthcare for illegal immigrants, legalizing after birth infanticides, trying to eliminate the first and second amendments. That should be enough for you for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      This would eventually lead to someone like a Trump -- a street fighter who could dish it out as well as what he got.
      Yep, we got tired of milk sops...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        We're not living in fear for ourselves you dimwit...
        It's always so cute when the class dunce calls others such names.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          oddly enough the link isn't even available in NZ
          Interesting -- and there's another show we watch that documents court cases in Australia and New Zealand --- I'm amazed at the extent to which the judges go to try to find a reasonable solution to each case. It's not just a "throw them in the slammer", but "what can we do to help you not come back here (court) again?" And when they do interviews of the judges themselves, they're quick to explain "we have little tolerance for people who abuse the system, or don't seem to want help, but our goal is to see them as people....."

I'm actually quite impressed.

Oh, and even the "bad guys", when leaving the court room and approaching the door, turn back toward the judge and do a little bow. I love watching that!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Deaths of migrants who illegally crossed the border during the first two years of the Trump administration fell about 20 percent from the eight-year average under the Obama era. This is in sharp contrast to the political rhetoric of Democrat presidential candidates and certain media outlets decrying the treatment of migrants under President Donald Trump’s watch.

During the eight years of the Obama administration, 2,977 migrants died after illegally crossing the southwest border with Mexico — 372 per year on average, according to a report obtained from U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.

During the first two complete fiscal years of the Trump administration, 581 migrants died — an average of 291 per year. Despite massively higher border apprehensions in Fiscal Year 2019, the number of deaths appears to be on par with the two prior years, according to the International Organization for Migrants’ Missing Migrant Project. This represents about a 20 percent drop from the Obama administration’s reported migrant deaths.

https://www.breitbart.com/border/201...n-obama-years/

Trump is showing a surprising amount of restraint for a Hitler wannabe running concentration camps.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Another factor is that for the past couple decades Republican leaders have been very genteel, courteous and gracious (look at both Bushes and Romney as examples). Even though they would repeatedly get kicked in the teeth they were always good sports and took it without complaint or response. This would eventually lead to someone like a Trump -- a street fighter who could dish it out as well as what he got.
              Trump has said that if Romney fought Obama and the Democrats as hard as he's fought Trump, Romney would be in the middle of his second presidential term right now.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Another factor is that for the past couple decades Republican leaders have been very genteel, courteous and gracious (look at both Bushes and Romney as examples). Even though they would repeatedly get kicked in the teeth they were always good sports and took it without complaint or response. This would eventually lead to someone like a Trump -- a street fighter who could dish it out as well as what he got.
                Being mostly centrist, I don't really see it that way. Seems to me both Republican and Democrat presidents have been fairly genial and diplomatic, and yes, there have been plenty of moment when they weren't, but for the most part they've acted presidential. And members of BOTH opposing parties have always attempted to get their licks in when they could. That's politics in a nutshell. I see Trump as less a street fighter, and more a obnoxious bully that never got the "politics 101" rule book. He's more like that crazy uncle on Facebook who talks about how things would be done if HE were president, cept Trump actually had enough money and fame to help make it happen. Yes, I agree people identify with him because he's not politics as usual. He's not putting up a facade, and he acts as rotten as the rotten he gets. It's not something I would want in a president, but I get it.

While getting as nasty with people as you get obviously works from a worldly perspective, personally, I feel it goes strongly against the Christian worldview. Scripture is full of examples about how God's ways are not the world's ways. The world answers "hate your enemy as they hate you," but Christ tells us to love our enemies. It's completely counter intuitive, and should blow up in people's faces, but as we see in scripture, our God is a God of making the impossible possible. Of flipping the script.

I'm certain that there will be backlash after Trumps reign, and it'll likely be multitudes worse than what we've seen so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  Being mostly centrist, I don't really see it that way. Seems to me both Republican and Democrat presidents have been fairly genial and diplomatic, and yes, there have been plenty of moment when they weren't, but for the most part they've acted presidential. And members of BOTH opposing parties have always attempted to get their licks in when they could. That's politics in a nutshell. I see Trump as less a street fighter, and more a obnoxious bully that never got the "politics 101" rule book. He's more like that crazy uncle on Facebook who talks about how things would be done if HE were president, cept Trump actually had enough money and fame to help make it happen. Yes, I agree people identify with him because he's not politics as usual. He's not putting up a facade, and he acts as rotten as the rotten he gets. It's not something I would want in a president, but I get it.

While getting as nasty with people as you get obviously works from a worldly perspective, personally, I feel it goes strongly against the Christian worldview. Scripture is full of examples about how God's ways are not the world's ways. The world answers "hate your enemy as they hate you," but Christ tells us to love our enemies. It's completely counter intuitive, and should blow up in people's faces, but as we see in scripture, our God is a God of making the impossible possible. Of flipping the script.

I'm certain that there will be backlash after Trumps reign, and it'll likely be multitudes worse than what we've seen so far.
                  *cough* Teddy Roosevelt *cough*
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Turns out, most of the kids are OUT.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

First Adrift, the Democrats are every bit as wicked as Trump, and from my standpoint more so. I don't for a minute believe that Hillary was a more moral person. Second, God did use wicked kings and can use Trump.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        *cough* Teddy Roosevelt *cough*
                        Trump's no Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          First Adrift, the Democrats are every bit as wicked as Trump, and from my standpoint more so. I don't for a minute believe that Hillary was a more moral person.
                          You won't hear me arguing to the contrary.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Second, God did use wicked kings and can use Trump.
                          No doubt.

Comment

Trump's no Teddy Roosevelt.
                            Roosevelt made a zoo of the White House - literally. You mentioned 'presidential' short falls - Trump only beats out Teddy because he has Twitter.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Being mostly centrist, I don't really see it that way. Seems to me both Republican and Democrat presidents have been fairly genial and diplomatic, and yes, there have been plenty of moment when they weren't, but for the most part they've acted presidential.
                              But the Republicans don't have the MSM acting as a Praetorian Guard, circling the wagons[1] around Democrats in order to protect them whenever they face harsh criticism while going after Republicans hammer and tongs over even the slightest things.

The point I'm making is that the Democrats can be genteel and diplomatic because they really have no reason to be otherwise (though Obama could be incredibly petty), while the Republicans face vicious nasty attacks on nearly a daily basis so it would be understandable if they got more than a bit testy.

But they didn't.

They just smiled and took it apparently thinking that if they continued to act like gentlemen in the face of such treatment that they would eventually earn their adversaries respect.

But they never did.

Instead they were seen as weak and push-overs which encouraged even worse treatment.

The rank and file membership has been loudly complaining for years that they wanted their leaders to push back, and if they had Trump probably would never have been able to gain the support he did. So after decades of watching their party getting repeatedly kicked in the teeth they picked someone who would finally push back. I'm not too sure if most were aware just how strenuously Trump would fight back, but they got what they had been asking for over the past couple of decades.

1. I'm in a metaphor mixing mood

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

But the Republicans don't have the MSM acting as a Praetorian Guard, circling the wagons[1] around Democrats in order to protect them whenever they face harsh criticism while going after Republicans hammer and tongs over even the slightest things.

The point I'm making is that the Democrats can be genteel and diplomatic because they really have no reason to be otherwise (though Obama could be incredibly petty), while the Republicans face vicious nasty attacks on nearly a daily basis so it would be understandable if they got more than a bit testy.

But they didn't.

They just smiled and took it apparently thinking that if they continued to act like gentlemen in the face of such treatment that they would eventually earn their adversaries respect.

But they never did.

Instead they were seen as weak and push-overs which encouraged even worse treatment.

The rank and file membership has been loudly complaining for years that they wanted their leaders to push back, and if they had Trump probably would never have been able to gain the support he did. So after decades of watching their party getting repeatedly kicked in the teeth they picked someone who would finally push back. I'm not too sure if most were aware just how strenuously Trump would fight back, but they got what they had been asking for over the past couple of decades.

1. I'm in a metaphor mixing mood
                                Just out curiosity here, not really as rebuttal to your point, but how do you feel that Bush was able to win two terms if things in the Republican Party were so dire thanks to no one pushing back against the leftist mainstream media? Also, while I agree that most media is left leaning and push their own narrative, the Right has always had talk radio viciously attacking the left (and of course, Fox News for a couple decades now). That has to count for something I'd imagine.
                                Last edited by Adrift; 07-20-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment