Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Writer's view of Trump as racist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer's view of Trump as racist

On a flight after Thanksgiving, the writer's son sat next to a woman who voted for Trump. This is part of the writer's thoughts.

When she whispered to me what a great young man I was raising and offered her kudos to me for being his mother, I wanted to ask her what she thought of Trump’s consistent and clear disdain for black people.
    But that’s not how it felt. The more my son told me about his seatmate, the more I wish I had said something to her. While we waited for our luggage at baggage claim, she came over and whispered to me what a great young man I was raising and offered her kudos to me for being his mother. I wanted to ask her what she thought of Trump’s consistent and clear disdain for black people. I wanted to tell her about the damage being done to my son’s friends who have gay parents. I wanted to yell at her that a vote for Trump was a vote against finally taking climate change seriously, even now that it’s likely too late. If you like my son, I wanted to say, you should vote for people who will try to make the world better, not worse ― because he, and his generation, will live in it a lot longer than you or I.
    URL: https://huffpost.com/entry/trump-sup...b03b230fa7721f

Did this writer have basis for concerns for what Trump has said or done concerning various issues she raises? Or was the writer just falling for fake news? Or worse, was the writer falling for divisions created by the MSM?

I frankly don't think much of the writing of the writer. She's repeated herself a couple of times, which is unnecessary.

And, likely, no to your first question and yes to the last two.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It was a completely bigoted article.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        It was a completely bigoted article.
        She is not wrong as regards Climate Change. Trump is the worst president in a long time for the environment.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          She is not wrong as regards Climate Change. Trump is the worst president in a long time for the environment.

Jim
          Just wait if the democrats pass the "Green New Deal"

Comment

At least all of us Plebs will have bullet trains to travel around in.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              At least all of us Plebs will have bullet trains to travel around in.
              From the bullet train to the bread line. Gives a whole new meaning to "hurry up and wait."
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                From the bullet train to the bread line. Gives a whole new meaning to "hurry up and wait."
                You don’t want to wait 5 hours in a bread line while your rulers fly in comfy jets and attend all you can eat buffets?
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The Democrats going overboard the other direction makes Trump good? And how does that change the fact that Trump is cancelling needed programs and undermining the EPA, or that he is the worst president for the environment in decades? We've come along way since the days of leaded gas, unfiltered industry stacks, 12 mpg cars, and the Cuyahoga. We don't need to be reversing that trend. And the warnings that the economy would tank if we acted smartly and in favor of a clean environment have largely been industry moguls crying 'The Sky is falling'.

Right now we have billions of watts of electricty coming out of windmills, not sending CO2 and carbon soot into the atmosphere. My new Honda Accord Hybird is fast, roomy, sleek, and gets sometimes over 50mpg. That's almost 600 miles on it 12-13 gallon tank. Is that really so bad?

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-02-2019, 10:56 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Right now we have billions of watts of electricty coming out of windmills, not sending CO2 and carbon soot into the atmosphere. My new Honda Accord Hybird is fast, roomy, sleek, and gets sometimes over 50mpg. That's almost 600 miles on it 12-13 gallon tank. Is that really so bad?
                    What are the hidden factors? How much pollution comes out of producing and disposing of batteries? How much comes out of producing wind turbines? Getting rid of plastic bags and shifting to paper reduces plastic waste, but paper isn't produced without a fair amount of toxic waste. Is the apparent benefit more than illusion? Some reports are saying that the improvement is minimal at best, but I haven't seen anything that could be declared an academic resource.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The Democrats going overboard the other direction makes Trump good? And how does that change the fact that Trump is cancelling needed programs and undermining the EPA, or that he is the worst president for the environment in decades? We've come along way since the days of leaded gas, unfiltered industry stacks, 12 mpg cars, and the Cuyahoga. We don't need to be reversing that trend. And the warnings that the economy would tank if we acted smartly and in favor of a clean environment have largely been industry moguls crying 'The Sky is falling'.

Jim
                      I have nothing against improving technology to make it cleaner and more efficient and as far as I know neither does Trump. What I am against is forcing unnecessary nonsense like the GND is trying to do, under the guise of a "global warming" scare in a power grab by liberals who want to raise taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        What are the hidden factors? How much pollution comes out of producing and disposing of batteries? How much comes out of producing wind turbines? Getting rid of plastic bags and shifting to paper reduces plastic waste, but paper isn't produced without a fair amount of toxic waste. Is the apparent benefit more than illusion? Some reports are saying that the improvement is minimal at best, but I haven't seen anything that could be declared an academic resource.
                        From: https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-energy/...cts-wind-power

Source: above

Most estimates of wind turbine life-cycle global warming emissions are between 0.02 and 0.04 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour. To put this into context, estimates of life-cycle global warming emissions for natural gas generated electricity are between 0.6 and 2 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour and estimates for coal-generated electricity are 1.4 and 3.6 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour

© Copyright Original Source

so 1/30 to 1/50 the CO2 emissions of natural gas, 1/80 to 1/90 that of coal. (how much of the life cycle emissions would be reduced by using windmill generated power to create new windmills I do not know).

Properly disposing of/recycling batteries is important, but so is proper disposal of oil, tires, plastics and so on. Yes, we have to keep the manufacturing elements clean, that is a given. But as far as making windmills creates more pollution or more warming impact that not - the answer is no - not by a long shot. Windmills have other issues (they take up land, are far more noticeable to a larger number of people, maybe they kill more birds), but life cycle CO2 emissions is not one of them.

Jim

Comment

I have nothing against improving technology to make it cleaner and more efficient and as far as I know neither does Trump. What I am against is forcing unnecessary nonsense like the GND is trying to do, under the guise of a "global warming" scare in a power grab by liberals who want to raise taxes.
                          Some of the GND is wrong, but a lot of it is not. But more importantly, if Trump would (A) just wakeup and recognize the issue and (B) at least NOT push us BACKWARDS, then that point in the article might be less correct. But that is not what is happening. Trump is favoring industry at the expense of the environment at a time when we need to be going the other way. So the point in the article, as it relates to Global Warming, is valid.

Jim

Comment

From: https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-energy/...cts-wind-power

Source: above

Most estimates of wind turbine life-cycle global warming emissions are between 0.02 and 0.04 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour. To put this into context, estimates of life-cycle global warming emissions for natural gas generated electricity are between 0.6 and 2 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour and estimates for coal-generated electricity are 1.4 and 3.6 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour

so 1/30 to 1/50 the CO2 emissions of natural gas, 1/80 to 1/90 that of coal. (how much of the life cycle emissions would be reduced by using windmill generated power to create new windmills I do not know).

Properly disposing of/recycling batteries is important, but so is proper disposal of oil, tires, plastics and so on. Yes, we have to keep the manufacturing elements clean, that is a given. But as far as making windmills creates more pollution or more warming impact that not - the answer is no - not by a long shot. Windmills have other issues (they take up land, are far more noticeable to a larger number of people, maybe they kill more birds), but life cycle CO2 emissions is not one of them.

Jim
                            Is CO2 your entire measurement of pollution Jim?

Also what about the manufacturing of the windmills themselves? From the mining of the metals, the petroleum used in the plastics, the smelting of the metals, the assembly of the components, the transportation of the windmills, the danger to birds who get killed by windmills.

And the pollution created by paper mills to create paper straws and bags to replace plastic ones is a lot higher than the pollution created by the plastics themselves. Same with creating reusable cotton bags.

Comment

Is CO2 your entire measurement of pollution Jim?
                              No - but the point in the article was Climate change, and reducing CO2 emissions.

Also what about the manufacturing of the windmills themselves? From the mining of the metals, the petroleum used in the plastics, the smelting of the metals, the assembly of the components, the transportation of the windmills, the danger to birds who get killed by windmills.
                              Not so worried about the birds at this point. We know how to manufacture materials with a minimum of pollution. Do you have research that shows there is something about making windmills themselves that is worse than refining the petroleum and making and operating coal or natural powerplants, and mining the coal and extracting the natural gas? These all have an environmental cost too. Especially the mining. Do you have any real support for the idea there is a problem with windmills that equals or exceeds what they are replacing, or are you just hounding me because you don't like windmills?

And the pollution created by paper mills to create paper straws and bags to replace plastic ones is a lot higher than the pollution created by the plastics themselves. Same with creating reusable cotton bags.
                              Wrong - by a huge factor. The byproducts of paper mills decay or are cleaned up. The plastic in the bags last for centuries or millenia. You need to take a little time to look at those dastardly green sites and get a feel for just how bad the overall environmental effect of all that plastic is.

But this is not about plastics and every other possible environmental issue, this is about windmills and oil and coal industry's concern about their impact on their profits err ... the environment.

Jim

ETA: Wikipedia has a good summary of some research on the issue:

Source: wikipedea 'environmental impact of wind power'

Wind power consumes no water[28] for continuing operation, and has near negligible emissions directly related to its electricity production. Wind turbines when isolated from the electric grid produce negligible amounts of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, mercury and radioactive waste when in operation, unlike fossil fuel sources and nuclear energy station fuel production, respectively.

With the construction phase largely to blame, wind turbines emit slightly more particulate matter (PM), a form of air pollution, at an "exception" rate higher per unit of energy generated(kWh) than a fossil gas electricity station("NGCC"),[29][30] and also emit more heavy metals and PM than nuclear stations, per unit of energy generated.[31][32] As far as total pollution costs in economic terms, in a comprehensive 2006 European study, alpine Hydropower was found to exhibit the lowest external pollution, or externality, costs of all electricity generating systems, below 0.05 c€/kWh. Wind power externality costs were found to be 0.09 - 0.12c€/kW, while nuclear energy had a 0.19 c€/kWh value and fossil fuels generated 1.6 - 5.8 c€/kWh of downstream costs.[33] With the exception of the latter fossil fuels, these are negligible costs in comparison to the cost of electricity production, which is approximately 10 c€/kWh in European countries.

They are still better than fossil even just looking at this issue. I am assuming these costs are factoring in what it takes to mitigate the pollutions described.

Jim
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment