Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trumpís North Korea Trip

tWebber
    Faith
    Toonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Trumpís North Korea Trip

Just wondering whether anyone is bothered by Trumpís chuminess on display.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpholding View Post
    Yes.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I do see cause for concern. He has previously praised Kim for being a "tough guy", indicating that he possibly sees his human rights abuses as evidence of strength and raising the question of what he would do if given freer reign. ( https://nypost.com/2018/06/13/trump-...ings-hes-done/
    ) In that same 2018 interview, he downplayed Kim's moral rights abuses.

Even more troubling is the moral relativism/nihilism of Tucker Carlson the other day, who also downplayed Kim's moral rights abuses. While refusing to defend Kim, he rightly noted that America has some blood on its hands as well, and concluded that "leading a country means killing people". https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tucker-...illing-people/ This is the kind of moral relativism apologists normally condemn in atheists, especially the consistent ones. Leading citizens in mass into concentration camps, killing Christians, and publicly parading political prisoners in front of firing squads is just no different from what any other countries do. Make no mistake, this is a clear attempt to minimize Kim in the eyes of his viewers, and Carlson is not just any journalist; he is close to Trump, who trusts him enough that he used Carlson's show this week to roll out his plan for combating homelessness.

It says something that nobody on the right seems to have batted an eye at Carlson's comments. Like frogs in boiling water, everybody seems desensitized by now.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    While not comfortable with it if it helps make the little gargoyle more amiable to legitimate negotiations I can't complain. Besides, virtually every president in recent history has at one time or another praised this or that tyrant when dealing with them so this is hardly anything out of the norm.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

6. Amen mossrose, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    While not comfortable with it if it helps make the little gargoyle more amiable to legitimate negotiations I can't complain. Besides, virtually every president in recent history has at one time or another praised this or that tyrant when dealing with them so this is hardly anything out of the norm.
    I guess I will never understand the line of thinking that says because maybe someone else some time did something similarly bad, it's ok for Trump to do it too.

The reality is, I don't think you can find a single president ever that has the cumulative 'bad' set Trump does. And regardless of whether that guess is correct, it's still BAD for pity's sake. It was BAD then, and it's STILL bad!

Jim
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I guess I will never understand the line of thinking that says because maybe someone else some time did something similarly bad, it's ok for Trump to do it too.

The reality is, I don't think you can find a single president ever that has the cumulative 'bad' set Trump does. And regardless of whether that guess is correct, it's still BAD for pity's sake. It was BAD then, and it's STILL bad!

Jim
    That isn't what rogue was doing. He was using it in the same sense as carpe in the other thread (i.e., not to excuse it but to identify it as a common problem), and he even said so:

Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

9. Amen MaxVel amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    If it helps to bring peace and stability to the Korean Peninsula and by extension the rest of the Pacific and world, I think that we can suck up our president calling Kim a "tough guy" and the like is a very small price to pay.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Didn't the USA prop up dictators during the Cold War just because they weren't communist? Them being evil dictators didn't matter as long as they did what the USA wanted in terms of trade and commerce.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

13. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am just surprised Kim is meeting with anyone. I honestly have no idea what I would do in a similar situation.