Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump’s North Korea Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Interesting. I think the original question was: "Just wondering whether anyone is bothered by Trump’s chuminess on display."

And KG's point was: "This is the kind of moral relativism apologists normally condemn in atheists, especially the consistent ones. Leading citizens in mass into concentration camps, killing Christians, and publicly parading political prisoners in front of firing squads"

So you're OK with saying 'let's please just be friends' without pushing back on any of that?

Do we make friends with the neighborhood bully and just keep our trap shut when he's beating up on the kid down the street so we don't make him 'defriend' us? Is that what supporting Trump means signing on to?

Jim
    We've already beat the crap out of the bully and he's in his basement trying to build a bomb when he isn't torturing his little brothers. Maybe there is a way to talk him out of making things worse without forgetting about the restitution he owes - but standing in the yard with a pitchfork ain't it - and leaves him to do even more harm inside.

The only other alternative is to send in troops - China would freak.

I'm far from confident Trump's overture will work but it beats repeating the stuff that hasn't worked.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      We've already beat the crap out of the bully and he's in his basement trying to build a bomb when he isn't torturing his little brothers. Maybe there is a way to talk him out of making things worse without forgetting about the restitution he owes - but standing in the yard with a pitchfork ain't it - and leaves him to do even more harm inside.

The only other alternative is to send in troops - China would freak.

I'm far from confident Trump's overture will work but it beats repeating the stuff that hasn't worked.
      Yeah, we can agree trying to do something is better than doing nothing. I will not agree it is ok to ignore what he has done and is doing to his people, but if you are not trying to imply it is ok to ignore that, then we are in agreement on that.

Trumps chumminess with despots - nevertheless - is disturbing.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

I think you'd have a hard case to make in attributing any significant advances to Trump. Well - he HAS opened talks with NK, largely by fawning over their dictator and ignoring the atrocities he (and others) commit. When previous presidents suggested doing similar things, they were largely pilloried by the right.
        Yeah - there is that ...

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Yeah, we can agree trying to do something is better than doing nothing. I will not agree it is ok to ignore what he has done and is doing to his people, but if you are not trying to imply it is ok to ignore that, then we are in agreement on that.

Trumps chumminess with despots - nevertheless - is disturbing.

Jim
          I think people read too much into that. Trump is a businessman - 'chummy' is what he does to get what he wants.

Sarcasm alert:
          Assassins can be chummy, too - before they knife you. I can fully imagine Trump schmoozing the heck out of some guy to get a better deal. Assassins, used car salesmen, lawyers and businessmen - it's safer to turn your back on a shark.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Lord help korea.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I think people read too much into that. Trump is a businessman - 'chummy' is what he does to get what he wants.

Sarcasm alert:
              Assassins can be chummy, too - before they knife you. I can fully imagine Trump schmoozing the heck out of some guy to get a better deal. Assassins, used car salesmen, lawyers and businessmen - it's safer to turn your back on a shark.
              You forgot to add politicians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I see your bat and raise you another plus throw in a look of scornful disdain.

In seriousness, that sort of stuff is what you used to hear from the left back during the Cold War and it is a bit of a surprise that Carlson would sink to that level (assuming that he's quoted accurately).
                He was quoted accurately. Tucker is one of my FNC favorites, so I watch him fairly regularly. It was a surprising comment, but at the moment, I don't find it any more troubling than Rush's rather well-known line, "The purpose of the military is to kill people and break things."
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I don't want to derail JP's thread but the discussion of Carlson's comments has me thinking again about Roger Olson's blog post claiming that a Christian probably cannot be president at this point in time. I suspect the gist of what Olson says is correct even if what some of he says is odd (like his claim that Jimmy Carter is the only truly Christian president in American history; as a Texan there's no way he could have just forgotten about George W. Bush).

One particularly provocative quote:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogere...united-states/
                  I think he's right. If I had the sense that "being a Christian" meant strictly following all the "rules" in all situations, I'd never vote for one for any office ever again.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I'm not seeing anything here to be impressed by.
                    Of course not, carp. I expected no less. You are the master at hand-waving away things you don't want to accept.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Of course not, carp. I expected no less. You are the master at hand-waving away things you don't want to accept.
                      Interesting. I provide a set of data for why your list of "things Trump has done in North Korea" is not all that impressive, or even an accomplishment, and your response is to ignore the data and engage in an ad hominem. And I am the one handwaving?

NVM, Sparko. Discussions with you lately seem to rapidly descend into this type of invective, and I'm not interested. I'll leave the last word to you.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Interesting. I provide a set of data for why your list of "things Trump has done in North Korea" is not all that impressive, or even an accomplishment, and your response is to ignore the data and engage in an ad hominem. And I am the one handwaving?

NVM, Sparko. Discussions with you lately seem to rapidly descend into this type of invective, and I'm not interested.
                        You listed a bunch of excuses and your opinions. It was a classic Carp hand-wave dismissal.

I'll leave the last word to you.
                        Again? Pretty much the next step in the Carp Great Thread Escape™
                        Except you can never stay away.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 07-03-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

He is getting Kim to stop shooting missiles at Japan, stopping nuclear testing, sitting down with South Korea and negotiating the end of the Korean war and allowing south Koreans to visit relatives in North Korea.

A hell of a lot more than any other President has accomplished with North Korea.
                          You honestly believe that?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            yes

Comment

yes
                              Despite the fact that North Korea hasn't denuclearized. Are still operating plutonium producing reactors. And basically aside from some photo ops and a few sitdown meetings, nothing has changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                Despite the fact that North Korea hasn't denuclearized. Are still operating plutonium producing reactors. And basically aside from some photo ops and a few sitdown meetings, nothing has changed?

Comment