Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump’s North Korea Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump’s North Korea Trip

Just wondering whether anyone is bothered by Trump’s chuminess on display.

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
    Yes.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I do see cause for concern. He has previously praised Kim for being a "tough guy", indicating that he possibly sees his human rights abuses as evidence of strength and raising the question of what he would do if given freer reign. ( https://nypost.com/2018/06/13/trump-...ings-hes-done/
        ) In that same 2018 interview, he downplayed Kim's moral rights abuses.

Even more troubling is the moral relativism/nihilism of Tucker Carlson the other day, who also downplayed Kim's moral rights abuses. While refusing to defend Kim, he rightly noted that America has some blood on its hands as well, and concluded that "leading a country means killing people". https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tucker-...illing-people/ This is the kind of moral relativism apologists normally condemn in atheists, especially the consistent ones. Leading citizens in mass into concentration camps, killing Christians, and publicly parading political prisoners in front of firing squads is just no different from what any other countries do. Make no mistake, this is a clear attempt to minimize Kim in the eyes of his viewers, and Carlson is not just any journalist; he is close to Trump, who trusts him enough that he used Carlson's show this week to roll out his plan for combating homelessness.

It says something that nobody on the right seems to have batted an eye at Carlson's comments. Like frogs in boiling water, everybody seems desensitized by now.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

While not comfortable with it if it helps make the little gargoyle more amiable to legitimate negotiations I can't complain. Besides, virtually every president in recent history has at one time or another praised this or that tyrant when dealing with them so this is hardly anything out of the norm.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            While not comfortable with it if it helps make the little gargoyle more amiable to legitimate negotiations I can't complain. Besides, virtually every president in recent history has at one time or another praised this or that tyrant when dealing with them so this is hardly anything out of the norm.
            I guess I will never understand the line of thinking that says because maybe someone else some time did something similarly bad, it's ok for Trump to do it too.

The reality is, I don't think you can find a single president ever that has the cumulative 'bad' set Trump does. And regardless of whether that guess is correct, it's still BAD for pity's sake. It was BAD then, and it's STILL bad!

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              I guess I will never understand the line of thinking that says because maybe someone else some time did something similarly bad, it's ok for Trump to do it too.

The reality is, I don't think you can find a single president ever that has the cumulative 'bad' set Trump does. And regardless of whether that guess is correct, it's still BAD for pity's sake. It was BAD then, and it's STILL bad!

Jim
              That isn't what rogue was doing. He was using it in the same sense as carpe in the other thread (i.e., not to excuse it but to identify it as a common problem), and he even said so:

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

If it helps to bring peace and stability to the Korean Peninsula and by extension the rest of the Pacific and world, I think that we can suck up our president calling Kim a "tough guy" and the like is a very small price to pay.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Didn't the USA prop up dictators during the Cold War just because they weren't communist? Them being evil dictators didn't matter as long as they did what the USA wanted in terms of trade and commerce.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I am just surprised Kim is meeting with anyone. I honestly have no idea what I would do in a similar situation.
                    sigpic

Comment

Jim
                      Reagan and Gorbachev come to mind. Reagan cozied up to him a lot, and it ended with the Berlin wall coming down and the fall of the USSR.

Comment

I'm much less bothered by chuminess than the kowtowing done by our most recent ex-president. It seems to me that Trump is using it as a negotiating tool, though it's also possible he's doing it to poke another stick in the eye of the collective left.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Reagan and Gorbachev come to mind. Reagan cozied up to him a lot, and it ended with the Berlin wall coming down and the fall of the USSR.
                          do you really thing Gorbachev and Un are in the same class?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I'm much less bothered by chuminess than the kowtowing done by our most recent ex-president. It seems to me that Trump is using it as a negotiating tool, though it's also possible he's doing it to poke another stick in the eye of the collective left.
                            And I don't think I'll ever understand the mindset that says anything is ok as long as it can be used to twerk the MSM.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              Didn't the USA prop up dictators during the Cold War just because they weren't communist? Them being evil dictators didn't matter as long as they did what the USA wanted in terms of trade and commerce.
                              They did. And it was wrong, and there have been a lot of people that have suffered immeasurably because of it. Some could even make the case that a large number of our border problems today stem from the poverty induced by those decisions.

Jim

Comment