Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump’s North Korea Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    That works both ways round:

Trump is as much a narcissist as Kim, so I think Kim knows how to handle him. Stroke his ego.
    Could be. But it seems Trump is the one getting his way and not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I'm not discussing Trump with you, Jim. Thanks.
      The thread is about Trump.

"Trump's North Korea Trip".

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        The thread is about Trump.

"Trump's North Korea Trip".

Jim
        You aren't the only participant.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Er, Jim, you really want N. Korea to have a major nuclear accident before letting them come to the negotiating table? Glasnost came into being in large part because of Chernobyl.

We've isolated the hell out of N. Korea for over fifty years - Plan A ain't working.

If we want to affect their internal policies, we're gonna have to talk to them.
          Interesting. I think the original question was: "Just wondering whether anyone is bothered by Trump’s chuminess on display."

And KG's point was: "This is the kind of moral relativism apologists normally condemn in atheists, especially the consistent ones. Leading citizens in mass into concentration camps, killing Christians, and publicly parading political prisoners in front of firing squads"

So you're OK with saying 'let's please just be friends' without pushing back on any of that?

Do we make friends with the neighborhood bully and just keep our trap shut when he's beating up on the kid down the street so we don't make him 'defriend' us? Is that what supporting Trump means signing on to?

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            You aren't the only participant.
            God bless you too, OBP.

Jim

Comment

God bless you too, OBP.

Jim
              Personally, I think that's preferable to me getting into a discussion with you, because when I express my understanding it inevitably gets perceived as an attack. Sorry.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Interesting. I think the original question was: "Just wondering whether anyone is bothered by Trump’s chuminess on display."

And KG's point was: "This is the kind of moral relativism apologists normally condemn in atheists, especially the consistent ones. Leading citizens in mass into concentration camps, killing Christians, and publicly parading political prisoners in front of firing squads"

So you're OK with saying 'let's please just be friends' without pushing back on any of that?

Do we make friends with the neighborhood bully and just keep our trap shut when he's beating up on the kid down the street so we don't make him 'defriend' us? Is that what supporting Trump means signing on to?

Jim
                I'm really surprised your analogies are so weak. The "neighborhood bully" doesn't have 'God-knows-how-many' nuclear weapons at his disposal, and hasn't been dealt with for decades by previous administrations with no positive results.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jim
                  What's the alternative? Bomb Kim into oblivion? Antagonize him into nuking South Korea?

Trump is being diplomatic with Kim, but he isn't being soft or giving Kim anything of value.

How should this be handled, Mr. President?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Could be. But it seems Trump is the one getting his way and not the other way around.
                    So this is curious. In what way is Trump "getting his way?"
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      So this is curious. In what way is Trump "getting his way?"
                      He is getting Kim to stop shooting missiles at Japan, stopping nuclear testing, sitting down with South Korea and negotiating the end of the Korean war and allowing south Koreans to visit relatives in North Korea.

A hell of a lot more than any other President has accomplished with North Korea.

Comment

He is getting Kim to stop shooting missiles at Japan, stopping nuclear testing, sitting down with South Korea and negotiating the end of the Korean war and allowing south Koreans to visit relatives in North Korea.

A hell of a lot more than any other President has accomplished with North Korea.
                        There was also the returning of the remains of some American servicemen and reducing the shrillness of the anti-American propaganda inside the country.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I'm really surprised your analogies are so weak. The "neighborhood bully" doesn't have 'God-knows-how-many' nuclear weapons at his disposal, and hasn't been dealt with for decades by previous administrations with no positive results.
                          And I guess that is why Kim developed the bombs in the first place, isn't it? To force the US to sit down and talk to him. Not sure rewarding that is a good thing. But, at the same time, you are correct in that NOTHING has been accomplished so far by any other administration. So you have a point - hopefully something is better than nothing.

Jim

Comment

What's the alternative? Bomb Kim into oblivion? Antagonize him into nuking South Korea?

Trump is being diplomatic with Kim, but he isn't being soft or giving Kim anything of value.

How should this be handled, Mr. President?
                            I don't know about 'diplomatic'. But I will concede that progress is potentially betting than sitting still. I will not concede that progress requires the appearance of abandoning our principles on human rights and the support of those that Kim has brutalized.

Jim

Comment

I don't know about 'diplomatic'. But I will concede that progress is potentially betting than sitting still. I will not concede that progress requires the appearance of abandoning our principles on human rights and the support of those that Kim has brutalized.

Jim
                              I don't see anyone condoning Kim's human rights violations, not even Trump.

Comment

So with regard to missile tests, we had 3 year pauses between 2006 and 2009, and again between 2009 and 2012. Then we had one per year until 2016, after which we had 5 in 2016, then a record 16 n 2017, then 1 in 2018 and so far 2 in 2019 (both in May). The 2019 launches were short range ballistics. So I'm not seeing any particular slow-down, and we have had a massive ramp-up while Trump has been in office.

For nuclear tests, it is true we have only had one since Trump was president. Prior to that there were 2 in 2016, 1 in 2013, 1 in 2009 and 1 in 2006. So I'm not seeing anything remarkable here. NK has pledged to denuclearize before, and we've only been 18 months since the last test.

Concerning ending the war, so far what we have is an agreement to work towards ending the conflict. And that happened after Kim reached out to the south to participate in the Olympic games, and re-opened discussions. Although the U.S. jointly hosted the summits, I don't see a great deal here that is "due to Trump."

I see Trump taking (and his base giving him) a lot of credit - but then Trump pretty much regularly claims credit for things other people do, so this is no surprise.

I think you'd have a hard case to make in attributing any significant advances to Trump. Well - he HAS opened talks with NK, largely by fawning over their dictator and ignoring the atrocities he (and others) commit. When previous presidents suggested doing similar things, they were largely pilloried by the right.

I'm not seeing anything here to be impressed by.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment