Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Atheist Incredulity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    Off-topic, but is Christ myth theory supported by ANY serious historians and academics? I mean, even ONE?
    Only a boatload of Google scholars who take themselves seriously.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Or consider this golden piece from Jerry Coyne.

“The following (and admittedly contorted) scenario would give me tentative evidence for Christianity. Suppose that a bright light appeared in the heavens, and, supported by winged angels, a being clad in a white robe and sandals descended onto my campus from the sky, accompanied by a pack of apostles bearing the names given in the Bible. Loud heavenly music, with the blaring of trumpets, is heard everywhere. The robed being, who identifies himself as Jesus, repairs to the nearby university hospital and instantly heals many severely afflicted people, including amputees. After a while Jesus and his minions, supported by angels ascend back into the sky with another chorus of music. The heavens swiftly darken, there are flashes of lightning and peals of thunder, and in an instant the sky is clear.

If this were all witnessed by others and documented by video, and if the healings were unexplainable but supported by testimony from multiple doctors, and if all the apparitions and events conformed to Christian theology—then I’d have to start thinking seriously about the truth of Christianity.” Faith vs. Fact p. 118-119
      That is just - infantile. To regard anything like that as evidence for Christianity, would be foolish in the extreme. What is really depressing, is that any thinking person could seriously suppose that tosh like that is what Christian theology is about.

It makes one wonder whether what anti-Christian atheists reject, is the same as what Christians affirm. Quite often - as in this instance - I think the two are not the same. STM that - as has been said - what is rejected is often not what is believed, but an (unwitting ?) caricature of what is believed. It would be interesting to know how many atheists had a good understanding of Christian theology. It seems fairly clear that many do not. The objection seems often (usually ?) to be, not to a more or less systematic representation of God, such as can be found in books of systematic theology, but to some version of God as represented in the Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
        That is just - infantile. To regard anything like that as evidence for Christianity, would be foolish in the extreme. What is really depressing, is that any thinking person could seriously suppose that tosh like that is what Christian theology is about.

It makes one wonder whether what anti-Christian atheists reject, is the same as what Christians affirm. Quite often - as in this instance - I think the two are not the same. STM that - as has been said - what is rejected is often not what is believed, but an (unwitting ?) caricature of what is believed. It would be interesting to know how many atheists had a good understanding of Christian theology. It seems fairly clear that many do not. The objection seems often (usually ?) to be, not to a more or less systematic representation of God, such as can be found in books of systematic theology, but to some version of God as represented in the Bible.
        I cannot speak for "atheists," in general. I agree many do not have an understanding of Christian theology. For myself, I can only say that, after being an evangelical catholic from my late teens into my early thirties, and even spending almost 5 years in seminary and the Jesuit novitiate, I finally came to believe I was following a set of ancient traditions and mindsets that simply did not withstand scrutiny. Christianity has done much good and bad over the years, as any human institution would, but the core theology of this religion, or any other I have examined over the years, simply doesn't hold out - and there is a simpler explanation (I believe) for why religion continues to dominate the species - though that shows signs of waning, at least in western countries.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Frankly though there's a lot of incredulity amongst Christians.
          I simply don't find that at all believable.

...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            I simply don't find that at all believable.

Incredulous!

Comment