Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Needing to Vent

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We don't have many panhandlers in our town, but not too long ago we were in The Big City, waiting to turn left at a busy intersection. There were 2 driving lanes and 2 turning lanes, and we were in the right turning lane. Between the driving and turning lanes there is an island, and "limping" back and forth on the island, probably just a couple of feet from the cars in right turning and left driving lanes, was an older man.

He'd posted a cardboard sign on the signpost on the island, but I couldn't read it. I commented to my husband, "that poor man's foot is turned right over on its side! How can he even walk?" It appeared that he was actually walking on his outside ankle.

As we got closer, I could see that the only thing turned on its side was his sneaker. His foot inside was straight, and he was walking on the side of the sneaker. It was fairly obvious, so he probably needs a different scam.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

2. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well a while back I saw a gang of homeless men dressed up like firemen and they were begging for money by holding out boots. They had even found a fire engine somewhere and had it parked on the side of the road! For Shame!!!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Where I live there are groups of professional beggars run by criminal gangs. One old chap I saw many times over a period of several months had a prominent ankle ulcer on display to elicit sympathy. Problem is, he could get that cleaned up and treated for well less than what he would make in an average day.

One of the local papers did a in-depth report on street beggars here, and some make enough money to buy houses and support two families. They should be giving money to me...
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Our Church frequently gets requests for help from people in the community, or those passing through.

We have a central faith-based "clearing house" downtown (of which I am a board member) where we send people who need more than just limited groceries or gasoline or toiletries, and most of the Churches in the area fund this one center where they provide a wide variety of services, including food, housing, rent assistance, etc.

Today, a black man (probably in his 60's) came to the Church asking for assistance, preceded with the obligatory "I just lost my sister in Dallas, died of cancer" (always starts with a heart string tug) and need some help... He listed some things he needed ($130 worth), the most pressing of which was a tank of gas to get to Dallas. I told him that we use [the name of the center] for distribution of goods, and recommended he contact them. (I was planning to buy him gas)

When I mentioned the help center, he kinda went on a rant about the [N-word] that runs that place, and a lot of people in town don't like him, and he got run out of his previous city, and.......on and on....

I told him, "look, even though you're black, you don't get to sit here spouting the N-word and bringing racism and profanity into this". He doubled down telling me "you just don't know that lying [N-word] and the way he operates...." (That "lying N-word" is one of my best friends, and was "run out" of his previous city by Hurricane Katrina - and a lot of people don't like him because he believes in a work ethic and not just handing out "free stuff" for the sake of handing it out)

I finally stood up and said, "You know what you just did?" He looked surprised, and said, "no, what did I just do?" I said, "you are the first person in my 45 years of ministry to EVER talk me out of helping after I already decided I was going to buy you a tank of gas". He really looked surprised, and said, "I did that?" I said, "yes sir, you did that" and pointed to the door.

On the way out the door, he was muttering "I just talked myself out of getting help?" I said, "yes sir, you did, and I'll let [the help center] know you won't be wanting their assistance either".

Just needed to vent.
    So, after Church yesterday, I was at another Church in town for their building dedication. I was unable to stay because I needed to go to Houston to visit my daughter in the hospital, but wanted to stop in to show my support for this African American community. I was talking to the pastor and several other pastors outside in front of the building prior to the dedication service, and this SAME DUDE walked up and asked who the pastor was. Pastor John volunteered that he was, indeed, the pastor of that particular church, and the guy began his schpiel about needing help, blah blah blah....

I stood there for a minute weighing the appropriateness of me "butting in" on somebody else's turf, exposing this guy as... well, shut my mouth! Before I could even THINK about what to say, and whether or not to speak, one of the other black pastors tapped the guy on the shoulder and said, "Hey, brother, remember ME?" and another pastor chuckled, and said, "Yeah, we're old friends!" (I have to confess I was eating this up )

Long story short, the resident pastor explained to the man "We're about to have a 3 or 4 hour service, and you're welcome to stay, after which we will discuss your latest scam".

(I still chuckle when I think about that)
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

6. Amen mossrose, KingsGambit, Sparko amen'd this post.