Thread: Conservative answer to Global Warming

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    A sad sentiment indeed
    Yep, I agree! It's why I no longer engage with him...life's too short...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

CP - go look at the tone and character of your posts. Forget about me. Look at how you treat JimL. Over and over again mocking him. Spitting on him every chance you get. I don't care how 'stupid' his posts might be in your eyes - quoting Jesus wanting to be peoples friends and then acting like that is despicable.

Jim
    Was Jesus being despicable when he mocked and rhetorically spit on enemies of the gospel? And then you hypocritically lay into me and accuse me of all sorts of uncharitable stuff.

You might want to reconsider your theology.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Your comment was basically 'sit down, shut up, you're too stupid to understand' - and the idea that only experts can comment on things that affect public policy is just false.
    Perhaps to a certain extent. But the reality is, there is no scientifically valid reason to dispute the finding that the world is warming and has warmed significantly from what it was before the industrial revolution - in the last 50 years especially. And further, there is hardly a leg to stand on in disputing that the human (or human directed) greenhouse gas contribution (and modification of the landscape) has not been a significant factor in that increase - especially its rate of change.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-05-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Yep, I agree! It's why I no longer engage with him...life's too short...
    If you can avoid repetitive and continuous attacks on my person and keep it to a discussion of the facts or ideas, you have nothing to be concerned about.

If OTOH, your goal is a punching bag that you can insult every other sentence without any sort of negative consequence - then not so much.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Perhaps to a certain extent. But the reality is, there is no scientifically valid reason to dispute the finding that the world is warming and has warmed significantly from what it was before the industrial revolution - in the last 50 years especially. And further, there is hardly a leg to stand on in disputing that the human (or human directed) greenhouse gas contribution (and modification of the landscape) has not been a significant factor in that increase - especially its rate of change.

Jim
    "Climate Alarmists Have Been Wrong About Virtually Everything"
    https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...lly-everything

"Seven Big Failed Environmentalist Predictions"
    https://thefederalist.com/2015/04/24...t-predictions/

"...researchers concluded that total emissions of 200 gigatonnes of carbon – or 240 gigatonnes with significant amounts of climate mitigation – would probably produce less than 0.6C of warming, according to their analysis of climate models."
    https://www.independent.co.uk/infact...-a7955991.html

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Perhaps to a certain extent.
    No, it was a total dismissal of the person, not the argument.

But the reality is, there is no scientifically valid reason to dispute the finding that the world is warming and has warmed significantly from what it was before the industrial revolution - in the last 50 years especially. And further, there is hardly a leg to stand on in disputing that the human (or human directed) greenhouse gas contribution (and modification of the landscape) has not been a significant factor in that increase - especially its rate of change.

Jim
    This is actually opinion - of course there are ways to dispute it scientifically. Which ones are correct is the actual debate.

I already allowed the data shows something - you'll have to take up this issue with MM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No, it was a total dismissal of the person, not the argument.

This is actually opinion - of course there are ways to dispute it scientifically. Which ones are correct is the actual debate.

I already allowed the data shows something - you'll have to take up this issue with MM.
    Something? Yes - about 1.5 deg C rise in temperature since 1900, and an increase in CO2 of nearly 25% since 1960 (320ppm to 414ppm in May 2019)

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...al-temperature

https://www.co2.earth/daily-co2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeling_Curve

You are the one talking to me and zara and saying there are reasonable reasons to doubt the conclusion that global warming is real. Granted, you were trying to provide back up to a comment MM made, but that is somewhat irrelevant as regards your part in the conversation. So it would seem if you wanted to establish the correctness of that claim, you'd want to provide some sort of evidence that backs is up - yes?

Jim

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just a reminder, this thread is not a debate on whether or not Global Warming/Climate Change is true or not...it's about what answer(s) conservatives have or would accept.

From the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Global Warming is happening.
    Human industry is largely responsible.
    The consequences of Global Warming will be severe.
    If action is taken now a lot of it can be averted.

I don't want to start a discussion about whether these statements are true or not. I think we know where people stand. I'm just interested in the political question of whether US Conservative politics could even deal with the situation where these statements are true. Conservatives are all about minimizing government, deregulating the markets and (seemingly to me) supporting the growth of large corporations.

But since the cheapest energy sources are also the ones that pollute the most, notably coal and natural gas, this results in a situation where the free market will tend to favor those actions. If humans were rational actors, they'd accept that their choices have consequences and buy accordingly. But one thing we know is that the market isn't entirely rational, and short term gain is favored a lot more than gain that happens over decades or a century.

So barring this I just don't see how Conservatives could even deal with a world where Global Warming was happening.

What do you guys think? Can the only political response to Global Warming by Conservatives in the US be to deny it?
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Just a reminder, this thread is not a debate on whether or not Global Warming/Climate Change is true or not...it's about what answer(s) conservatives have or would accept.
    It's an odd way to frame the question, because whether or not it's true makes a big difference about what solutions are reasonable to accept. Will human civilization be wiped out in two-decades because of catastrophic man-caused warming? In that case, some of the more drastic and economically damaging solutions might be the best option (but I have no confidence that their predictions for two-decades in the future are going to be any more accurate than their wildly wrong predictions from two-decades in the past). Is it normal climatic variations that we are almost entirely powerless to stop, and we just need to be good stewards of the Earth? Then a more modest proposal is needed.

Let's put it this way: conservatives might be more willing to have a discussion if the liberal solutions to "climate change" were more than their globalist agenda wishlist.

10. Amen Teallaura, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's an odd way to frame the question, because whether or not it's true makes a big difference about what solutions are reasonable to accept. Will human civilization be wiped out in two-decades because of catastrophic man-caused warming? In that case, some of the more drastic and economically damaging solutions might be the best option (but I have no confidence that their predictions for two-decades in the future are going to be any more accurate than their wildly wrong predictions from two-decades in the past). Is it normal climatic variations that we are almost entirely powerless to stop, and we just need to be good stewards of the Earth? Then a more modest proposal is needed.

Let's put it this way: conservatives might be more willing to have a discussion if the liberal solutions to "climate change" were more than their globalist agenda wishlist.
    And if there wasn't so much extremism and hypocrisy from those 'preaching' it.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

12. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.