Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Conservative answer to Global Warming

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    That doesn't seem to be the mainstream conservative view though, who charge that anything even remotely resembling that is Communism. Granted that is mostly just rhetorics, but that's still what is said.
    The mainstream conservative view doesn't even acknowledge global warming as an issue, so I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The mainstream conservative view doesn't even acknowledge global warming as an issue, so I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for.
    Not with every one. A lot of conservatives argue the cost of trying to mitigate it (especially from an economic perspective) would have worse effects if nothing was done. The second negative cost would be trying to get government (which fails at most things) to solve it.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

3. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Not with every one. A lot of conservatives argue the cost of trying to mitigate it (especially from an economic perspective) would have worse effects if nothing was done. The second negative cost would be trying to get government (which fails at most things) to solve it.
    The old conservative, we're living well outside our means but I'm entitled to ruining it for everyone else in the future argument?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'll grant that answer, and would actually be a fan of the Trump administration if they succeeded in rolling back red tape on nuclear power. Europe scared to death by Chernobyl, even though the surviving nuclear technicians of that plant were pro-nuclear, and argued that if done properly it was the safest energy source. Even considered the 5000 estimated cancer death toll of Chernobyl, it still vastly outranks coal power in terms of health effects.

Being pro-nuclear as a liberal is a lonely place.
    Pro-nuclear is an EXTREMELY popular view on Reddit which leans left/far-left/radical-left. It's about the only semi-right view I've seen just about the entire website hold. The only other view the website holds that leans right is gun rights (though that has finally begun to soften a smidgen over the last couple years).

In fact, Reddit is SO pro-nuclear and left-leaning (outside of subreddits like r/The_Donald which has since been quarantined) that I've actually heard young Redditors suggest that anti-nuclear energy views must be Conservative. When you point out that the anti-nuclear energy thing was mostly a left-leaning, hippy-dippy, tree-huggin kinda thing, they simply have no response for it because it's outside of their historical framework, and something they're completely unfamiliar with. It's very strange.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Or they acknowledge it, but believe it's largely natural and not people-promoted.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What do you guys think? Can the only political response to Global Warming by Conservatives in the US be to deny it?
    Seems to be the case, though I wouldn't say they are in denial, I'd say they are unethical politicians in the pockets of the fossil fuel industry. Btw, just as an aside, June of 2019 was the hottest June in the history of record keeping.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Would a cap and trade system be consistent with Conservative political philosophy? After all this is about global pollution. I think both sides have a good sense of property right, and that if the local coal power plant spills toxic sludge and ruins a river, they have to pay for the clean up and thereby go bankrupt.

However, how do you extend the notion of property rights to the entire planet?
    Unfortunately, I think the opportunity for greed is far too great for a cap and trade system to work. I know, I'm a cynic.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

9. Amen Teallaura, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Pro-nuclear is an EXTREMELY popular view on Reddit which leans left/far-left/radical-left. It's about the only semi-right view I've seen just about the entire website hold. The only other view the website holds that leans right is gun rights (though that has finally begun to soften a smidgen over the last couple years).

In fact, Reddit is SO pro-nuclear and left-leaning (outside of subreddits like r/The_Donald which has since been quarantined) that I've actually heard young Redditors suggest that anti-nuclear energy views must be Conservative. When you point out that the anti-nuclear energy thing was mostly a left-leaning, hippy-dippy, tree-huggin kinda thing, they simply have no response for it because it's outside of their historical framework, and something they're completely unfamiliar with. It's very strange.
    The left's support of nuclear power is a complete 180 from 40 to 50 years ago

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The left's support of nuclear power is a complete 180 from 40 to 50 years ago
    Apparently, and it's mind-boggling to me. I'm of that generation that grew up on Silkwood and The China Syndrome. The left was absolutely terrified about nuclear power and nuclear radiation. The teachers in my 80s East Coast education flamed those concerns, to the point where incidences like the Fukushima disaster, and the new TV series Chernobyl bring to hyper-contrast those concerns, and make me think that, nah, I'm cool with not ever having nuclear energy. It's just too volatile, and mankind is prone to error. I'd rather we dig into more natural, renewable resources like wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal sources.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Maybe the think tankers, but the average conservative on the street (at least the ones I know personally, as well as the one in the White House) seem to prefer the tack of "this winter was cold, therefore, global warming is false".

In any event, if one acknowledges global warming as a negative externality, there shouldn't be anything inherently non-conservative about cap and trade. This is why I think the more common tack is to simply deny the externality exists.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-04-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger