Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 127

Thread: Conservative answer to Global Warming

  1. #21
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,779
    Amen (Given)
    1060
    Amen (Received)
    17926
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Maybe the think tankers, but the average conservative on the street (at least the ones I know personally, as well as the one in the White House) seem to prefer the tack of "this winter was cold, therefore, global warming is false".
    There are folks like that aplenty on the other side as well. Everytime the temperature is above average you'll hear someone intone on TV that it's global warming.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  2. #22
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,705
    Amen (Given)
    214
    Amen (Received)
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Maybe the think tankers, but the average conservative on the street (at least the ones I know personally, as well as the one in the White House) seem to prefer the tack of "this winter was cold, therefore, global warming is false".

    In any event, if one acknowledges global warming as a negative externality, there shouldn't be anything inherently non-conservative about cap and trade. This is why I think the more common tack is to simply deny the externality exists.
    The usual argument I see from conservatives regarding cap and trade is that it not only hurts the economy, it's ineffective at fighting global warming anyway.

  3. #23
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,091
    Amen (Given)
    6587
    Amen (Received)
    4809
    I suspect cap and trade would actually damage the climate. Only Western nations can afford to try it. The Third World is already industrializing at an increasing pace. If Western Nations hamstring themselves many Third World nations will gladly fill the gap, minus the protections that Western nations have in place.

  4. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  5. #24
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,973
    Amen (Given)
    11274
    Amen (Received)
    24050
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    There are folks like that aplenty on the other side as well. Everytime the temperature is above average you'll hear someone intone on TV that it's global warming.
    OR any of a number of tragedies -- instantly "climate change"!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  6. #25
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,847
    Amen (Given)
    1597
    Amen (Received)
    4270
    Another alternative that conservatives shouldn't have a problem with is simple - planting more trees, especially if done by conservation minded billionaires (Ted Turner?) who can afford all the land to do so. This article I just came across suggests forest restoration could go a long way.

    Unfortunately, it might take quite a few trees to offset what Brazil's newly elected president is doing in the Amazon.

    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-.../#.XR6up497nIU
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  7. #26
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,091
    Amen (Given)
    6587
    Amen (Received)
    4809
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Another alternative that conservatives shouldn't have a problem with is simple - planting more trees, especially if done by conservation minded billionaires (Ted Turner?) who can afford all the land to do so. This article I just came across suggests forest restoration could go a long way.

    Unfortunately, it might take quite a few trees to offset what Brazil's newly elected president is doing in the Amazon.

    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-.../#.XR6up497nIU
    It depends - another fiasco planting trees where the land can't sustain them isn't worth doing. The natural reclamation cycle is grass-shrub-tree and skipping the first two often fails.

    It's been done in Africa and China is trying it now - both labor intensive failures. Land needs water, animals and grasses to become fertile again - people sticking trees in the ground and watering them until they die doesn't work.

    So, if we're talking reclamation, I'm all for it. Another 'feel good tree planting' - skip!

  8. #27
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,790
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    It depends - another fiasco planting trees where the land can't sustain them isn't worth doing. The natural reclamation cycle is grass-shrub-tree and skipping the first two often fails.

    It's been done in Africa and China is trying it now - both labor intensive failures. Land needs water, animals and grasses to become fertile again - people sticking trees in the ground and watering them until they die doesn't work.

    So, if we're talking reclamation, I'm all for it. Another 'feel good tree planting' - skip!
    So what you saying is that the deforestation of brazil is more serious than most pro-envieonment groups recognize.

    Jim

  9. #28
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,091
    Amen (Given)
    6587
    Amen (Received)
    4809
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    So what you saying is that the deforestation of brazil is more serious than most pro-envieonment groups recognize.

    Jim
    No. I'm saying we don't need wastes of money that make people feel like we're doing something when in fact we're just making things worse.

    In desert reclamations planting trees have failed a number of times. In woodlands, grasses come in, then shrub THEN trees - are rain forests different? That land doesn't retain fertility well so planting trees too soon may fail, too. Maybe we should find out before messing around.

  10. #29
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,979
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5515
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Can the only political response to Global Warming by Conservatives in the US be to deny it?
    It depends on what you mean by "deny it". If you mean deny the liberal narrative that temperature is only moving in one direction, and that man is the cause, then yes, most conservatives will deny it, and for good reason. The science is simply not there to support such a claim, no matter how much liberals whoop and holler about "consensus" and "settled science". Trying to stop the natural climatic variations of the Earth that have been happening since Creation makes about as much sense as trying to stop the Earth from orbiting the sun.

    I'm all for good environmental stewardship, but most liberal plans are simply an attempt to open our borders, destroy the US economy, and give backwards nations the opportunity to raid our economic resources, and it won't do a thing to stop "climate change".
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  11. #30
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,790
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No. I'm saying we don't need wastes of money that make people feel like we're doing something when in fact we're just making things worse.

    In desert reclamations planting trees have failed a number of times. In woodlands, grasses come in, then shrub THEN trees - are rain forests different? That land doesn't retain fertility well so planting trees too soon may fail, too. Maybe we should find out before messing around.
    My parents had a tree farm in alabama. The forestry service seemed to know exactly what they where doing. They told them how to pull out the old trees, plant the money making trees, did controlled burns etc. The trees grew up just fine over time to create a forest suitable for profit and a good deal of good hunting to boot.

    Your example sounds more to me like it might be a cherry picked excuse used by whatever source you got it from for political means than reality given that the sort of successful planting and harvesting of trres that occurred on my parents land happens all the time.

    Jim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •