Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Obviously this is sarcasm. When I read carpe's post I was surprised at it. I don't follow politics nearly as close as you all do, but it was my understanding that Republicans barely stand Trump in office, and have done nearly all they can do in their power to undermine him. Honestly, I'd love to see Trump surplanted, but that doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon, and not because the Republicans don't want to replace him, but because they can't come up with anyone better (in manner of speaking) in the short term. The Dems are shooting themselves in the foot with their candidate selection, and Trump appears to be a shoe in for reelection, so they're probably thinking they shouldn't rock the boat too much.
    And that's the real sad part...(emphasis mine, above). Over 32 million registered Republicans, and this man was the best the party could do?

BTW, when I wrote my post I was thinking about Trump's unwavering base and highest approval rating among the GOP in history - but I was less than clear about that. I wrote in response to a comment about AOC and Pelosi bickering, leaving the impression I was talking about the politicians.

But even there, the politicians he endorsed in 2018 generally won and the ones he did not generally lost. The challenges to his behavior and choices have been muted in Congress, despite some amazingly bad behavior and choices, because he targets anyone who opposes him and seeks to get them primaried - and 2018 shows that to be a successful strategy. The GOP has become the "party of Trump." As best I can tell, it's leadership has been replaced by Trump cronies. Fortunately, Democrat voters outnumber Republicans by 12M, and Trump's relentless "playing to the base" is shrinking the Republican party. I say "fortunately," for one reason only: it means a higher likelihood this man will be gone by the end of January 2021 and we can begin to undo the damage he has done. Other than that, party affiliation is normally a matter of indifference to me.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      So I'm not finding them. Do you have a post number I can use?
      Too long ago and I can't be bothered to find it. They did provide four or five examples. I asked them to justify how they could conclude generally based on that and it went of track. Not worth spending too much time on it.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Too long ago and I can't be bothered to find it. They did provide four or five examples. I asked them to justify how they could conclude generally based on that and it went of track. Not worth spending too much time on it.
        Acknowledged. Might be why I'm not finding it. I haven't reviewed all ten pages of posts.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

And that's the real sad part...(emphasis mine, above). Over 32 million registered Republicans, and this man was the best the party could do?

Considering that the Dems ran Hillary Clinton who was supposed to handily beat him - but didn't?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I still think Trump was the only one who could have beaten Hillary. All the other top candidates (with the possible exception of Cruz) seemed to have adopted Mitt Romey's "gracious loser" style of campaigning.

The funniest thing during the primary when when all the Republican hopefuls kept saying things like Trump was easy to beat, and that Hillary would make mincemeat of him. As Rush Limbaugh said, "If it's so easy, then why can't you!"
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Considering that the Dems ran Hillary Clinton who was supposed to handily beat him - but didn't?
              So winning means he was the best? I would have guessed other qualities would be important.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

So winning means he was the best? I would have guessed other qualities would be important.
                Winning means more people in more states thought he was the better choice of the two.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Winning means more people in more states thought he was the better choice of the two.
                  That is quite obvious. It does not mean he actually was the best and it does not imply that you should not have become any the wiser after seeing him in action.

Comment

• All things considered, Trump has been a pretty good president.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That is quite obvious. It does not mean he actually was the best and it does not imply that you should not have become any the wiser after seeing him in action.
                      Sour grapes much? At least try to make a rational argument.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Sour grapes much? At least try to make a rational argument.
                        I did. I showed you that winning does not mean he was the best. Many very bad people have been elected before him.

Comment

I did. I showed you that winning does not mean he was the best. Many very bad people have been elected before him.
                          It does mean he was chosen as the best available choice, however. There may be a unicorn somewhere that's perfect for the job but he wasn't on either party's ticket.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Marginally better than the roughly 42 million registered Democrats did.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              All things considered, Trump has been a pretty good president.
                              I am surprised to say that he has turned out better than I foresaw.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not the best, but certainly the most likely to win. I think even those party members who dislike him would rather have someone they know will win rather than risk it all.

Comment