Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That's like saying, "Do you think political cartoons about Obama wouldn't exist if he wasn't universally despised?"

Come on, man, you're smarter than this.
    No - it's not like saying that - and you would understand why that is so if you could face the reality of who Trump is as the world sees him.

Again, the ambassador's cable was just one of many, perhaps most.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      I'd add that the current US administration is hardly going to be the only world government with ambassadors reporting back to their home countries with frank feedback. It isn't a necessarily anti-Trump thing, though it happened to be in this leak. I imagine Woody is being frank when he reports back to the US on current goings on in the UK for example.
      Yes - I am not saying Trump is the only leader getting slammed in communique's back home. But I am saying that Trump is a leader that is widely regarded as inept and that the UK ambassadors assessment of him was not by any means unique nor does it represent merely a petty jab at the man.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        ...the ambassador's cable was just one of many, perhaps most.
        Objection! The conclusion is not supported by the facts!
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Yes - I am not saying Trump is the only leader getting slammed in communique's back home. But I am saying that Trump is a leader that is widely regarded as inept and that the UK ambassadors assessment of him was not by any means unique nor does it represent merely a petty jab at the man.

Jim
          well, it's true that no one was much bothered by what had been leaked. Darroch had only reported back what had long been obvious to the entire world: it was the sort of email that anyone might send after watching the news headlines on American television.

But I was just pointing out that this wasn't a uniquely American or Trump attack, but that it was the sort of thing that happens regularly and is generally accepted as such by world leaders - after all, they'd be reading similar reports from their own ambassadors on a fairly regular basis.

I got the impression that a lot of the posts above are a reaction to the fact that i was released about their country, and are therefore slightly offended. As to who leaked it, I'm guessing it was an inside job to undermine a civil servant known to have reservations about Brexit and to put more of a yes-man into Washington ready for any 'deals' which we will be forced to make from a weak and desperate position if and when we leave the EU. The current UK government is quite leaky - more so than it has been in its history. Yet another thing to be ashamed about tbh.

Comment

I'd add that the current US administration is hardly going to be the only world government with ambassadors reporting back to their home countries with frank feedback. It isn't a necessarily anti-Trump thing, though it happened to be in this leak. I imagine Woody is being frank when he reports back to the US on current goings on in the UK for example.
            I still think its moronic for a diplomat to put derogatory remarks in writing. Being honest doesn't require professional stupidity.

Would you guys be so blase about this if the comments leaked were about Premier Li Keqiang? 'Cause China would not take this crap nearly so well...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

well, it's true that no one was much bothered by what had been leaked. Darroch had only reported back what had long been obvious to the entire world: it was the sort of email that anyone might send after watching the news headlines on American television.

But I was just pointing out that this wasn't a uniquely American or Trump attack, but that it was the sort of thing that happens regularly and is generally accepted as such by world leaders - after all, they'd be reading similar reports from their own ambassadors on a fairly regular basis.

I got the impression that a lot of the posts above are a reaction to the fact that i was released about their country, and are therefore slightly offended. As to who leaked it, I'm guessing it was an inside job to undermine a civil servant known to have reservations about Brexit and to put more of a yes-man into Washington ready for any 'deals' which we will be forced to make from a weak and desperate position if and when we leave the EU. The current UK government is quite leaky - more so than it has been in its history. Yet another thing to be ashamed about tbh.
              I agree with about 90% of that.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

...it was the sort of email that anyone might send after watching the news headlines on American television.
                Which is probably why it sounded like a Democrat talking points memo rather than the objective analysis of a seasoned political insider. If it's common practice for ambassadors to simply crib from the media headlines then it seems it's a rather useless position. I mean, do their bosses not have access to the news?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  I still think its moronic for a diplomat to put derogatory remarks in writing. Being honest doesn't require professional stupidity.

Would you guys be so blase about this if the comments leaked were about Premier Li Keqiang? 'Cause China would not take this crap nearly so well...
                  Blasé about what was written? Yes. Blasé about it being leaked, no, nor should they be. And I wouldn't describe his temper tantrum as taking it well either.

Comment

Which is probably why it sounded like a Democrat talking points memo rather than the objective analysis of a seasoned political insider. If it's common practice for ambassadors to simply crib from the media headlines then it seems it's a rather useless position. I mean, do their bosses not have access to the news?
                    You like Trump, I get it. I was merely pointing out that it was something that is understood to occur on a regular basis - frank information that is for their eyes only which is embarrassing if leaked. As for its contents, no one was that shocked by it on the world stage nor amongst ambassadors.

What use was it? That depends on who it was meant for what what use they'd put it to, it would be odd to speculate.

Comment

You must have.
                      So....citations...?
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        They did provide a few examples and it is not surprising that such examples exist. The hard part is to justify the general conclusion that all those uses are "fake news". I don't assume all people are lying all the time though some people certainly lie sometimes. The hard part is knowing when and how.
                        So I'm not finding them. Do you have a post number I can use?
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Have you noticed the calls for impeachment have largely vanished?
                          I certainly hope so. Pelosi should, IMO, squash that idea like a bug.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            I certainly hope so. Pelosi should, IMO, squash that idea like a bug.
                            She's having a lot of fun with AOC.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              She's having a lot of fun with AOC.
                              Frankly, I prefer a party with some disagreement, discussion, and argumentation. The almost "lock-step" Retrumplicans make me more than a little nervous. The GOP of old has been replaced by "Trump's base," and I don't find it very pretty.

Comment

You like Trump...
                                I think it would be more accurate to say that I don't hate him..

Comment