Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: CNN Ratings Collapse

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm gonna axe my brudder to put up that metal E thing.

ETA: he such a good boy!!!
    If you offer me a dog treat again I swear I will shoot you.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Jake just looked up at me and said, "say WHAT?"
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post

Rogues don't know they aren't bacon.

4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Jake just looked up at me and said, "say WHAT?"
    At which part? The shootin' or the treat?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sorry, you weren't supposed to see that.
    I forgot I did already.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    CNN Continues Ratings Plunge

I still say we oughta hook a generator to this puppy!

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    CNN Continues Ratings Plunge

I still say we oughta hook a generator to this puppy!
    I don't think it would help, and I have a theory as to why.

In 2016, there were several politically-oriented websites that sprang up with one "fake news" story after another. The sites were basically "click-bait" sites. My understanding is that, originally, the people launching these sites (some of them were Macedonian teenagers) had a roughly equal number of fake Trump stories and fake Clinton stories. Within a fairly short period of time, the fake Trump stories (on these sites) almost completely disappeared. When these people were identified and they were asked why they focused strongly on Clinton stories, their answer was simple: it got them more clicks and more ad dollars. Apparently there is a greater propensity to accept and share these stories by those on the right than there is by those on the left. This has been verified by numerous studies since. Supply and demand - these people went where the dollars were and churned out fake story after fake story about Clinton.

I theorize the same thing is happening in the cable news space. Fox has shown itself to be the mouthpiece of this presidency - and the right is eating it up. Fox ratings have never been higher. CNN has been (for a few years now) trying to copy the Fox business model and essentially making themselves the "fox of the left." But I think the left is less interested in that kind of reporting and is abandoning them for less vitriolic and obviously skewed reporting, putting CNN on life support: the right hates them, moderates are abandoning them, leaving them with only the most left-leaning audience. Of course, in the "age of Trump," polarization has become even more extreme, so their audience would not be likely to dry up completely. However, I predict it will tend further and further left and CNN will follow them. It would not surprise me to find them be the cable news equivalent of Breitbart (but skewed left) before too long.

It's just a theory, mind you, but one that fits the available facts. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I am one of those who no longer watches CNN (or Fox). I'll read some of their news stories online, but I'm very careful with both due to the extreme spin each of them puts to the left (and right).
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-11-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post

In 2016, there were several politically-oriented websites that sprang up with one "fake news" story after another. The sites were basically "click-bait" sites. My understanding is that, originally, the people launching these sites (some of them were Macedonian teenagers) had a roughly equal number of fake Trump stories and fake Clinton stories. Within a fairly short period of time, the fake Trump stories (on these sites) almost completely disappeared. When these people were identified and they were asked why they focused strongly on Clinton stories, their answer was simple: it got them more clicks and more ad dollars. Apparently there is a greater propensity to accept and share these stories by those on the right than there is by those on the left. This has been verified by numerous studies since. Supply and demand - these people went where the dollars were and churned out fake story after fake story about Clinton.

I theorize the same thing is happening in the cable news space. Fox has shown itself to be the mouthpiece of this presidency - and the right is eating it up. Fox ratings have never been higher. CNN has been (for a few years now) trying to copy the Fox business model and essentially making themselves the "fox of the left." But I think the left is less interested in that kind of reporting and is abandoning them for less vitriolic and obviously skewed reporting, putting CNN on life support: the right hates them, moderates are abandoning them, leaving them with only the most left-leaning audience. Of course, in the "age of Trump," polarization has become even more extreme, so their audience would not be likely to dry up completely. However, I predict it will tend further and further left and CNN will follow them. It would not surprise me to find them be the cable news equivalent of Breitbart (but skewed left) before too long.

It's just a theory, mind you, but one that fits the available facts. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I am one of those who no longer watches CNN (or Fox). I'll read some of their news stories online, but I'm very careful with both due to the extreme spin each of them puts to the left (and right).
    Often, the simplest explanation is the best. CNN sucks at actually reporting the news.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Often, the simplest explanation is the best. CNN sucks at actually reporting the news.
    His explanation makes Democrats (and, purely coincidentally, himself) look more virtuous. I'm guessing he'll roll with that.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post

You left out the fact that this recent fall was precipitated by the release of the Mueller report - and that both CNN and MSNBC fell sharply immediately thereafter.

It's like people don't like being lied to or something...