Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
    I'm also not a big fan of arguments from authority in all parts of discussion, particular when science starts making claims about meaning and normativity. I.e., when it significantly oversteps its bounds under the banner of naturalism and similar reductionist ontologies. That is not the case with climate science - hence the stone wall against deniers.
    It's literally the only argument you made.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      He was telling it like he saw it.
      No, he was being petty and vindictive. There was not an ounce of useful information in his memo that his bosses could have used to strike a good-faith deal with Trump. It was clearly written by someone who had the goal of harming rather than improving UK/US relations.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Honor is not even an issue here. The man did nothing wrong.
        That's debatable. He showed himself to be petty and small-minded and incapable of sharing the world stage with adults.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          That is exactly correct

It was between he and his government and he should be free to express what he believes to be true to them.

Jim
          Naive. Have you never seen even a spy movie? Ian Fleming gets at least that much right.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            And now the so-called "ambassador" has done the only honorable thing he could do: resign.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/201..._medium=banner
            I think it is an honorable out. He made a rookie mistake and got called on it. He's owns up by resigning - I wish him well.
            Last edited by Teallaura; 07-10-2019, 08:54 AM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Whether true or not that has nothing to do with the analogy I gave. The "action" in the analogy doesn't matter, except that it is something people are up in arms about and not the leak that exposed it. You are just trying to pick apart the analogy because you don't want to admit you are wrong in your debate with Teal. But regardless of whether he was "doing his job" - the fact remains that his words are what is the actual controversy, not the leak, and if he had worded his reports better, there would be no controversy even if they had been leaked. If they had leaked that Hillary was using a government server and following protocol would there have been any controversy? People would just shrug and say "good for her"
              So what if Trump is up in arms about it, it wasn't meant for his ears, it was a foreign ambassadors assessment of him and his administration. Again, that's his job. He's resigning due to the leak. He obviously can't work with this administration any longer, they knowing his assessment of them. It's his job to give his honest assessment of the administration, and of Trump, to his government just as U.S ambassadors all over the world do for this government. And that is what he did, he did his job. Someone in his government leaked it, and so he lost that position. That's all there is to it. Great assessment though!

Comment

That's debatable. He showed himself to be petty and small-minded and incapable of sharing the world stage with adults.
                It is silly to discuss this aspect further. Ive explained why i would not pin this on the ambassador. You disagree and have explained why. Neither of us can convince the other.

That is as far as this can go.

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-10-2019, 11:30 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  Great assessment though!
                  Not so much. It was clearly written by someone who allowed his petty personal differences to get in the way of his professional objectivity. The memo had s very juvenile "Dear Diary" vibe to it. If that's the quality of work he has been producing throughout his career then I'm a little surprised he wasn't fired long before this.

Comment

• Darroch resigns.

"Although my posting is not due to end until the end of this year, I believe in the current circumstances the responsible course is to allow the appointment of a new ambassador."

The leak was described as "malicious" by head of the diplomatic service Sir Simon McDonald, who told Sir Kim: "You are the best of us."

He told the Commons' foreign affairs committee it was the first time in his career that a head of state had refused to work with a British ambassador.
                    Boris and Trump deserve each other.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I see, so it's everybody else's fault but the guy who actually wrote the memo. Got it.
                      Correct, well done.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961
                        Trump, Boris, the leaker and even the press at odds with this essential treaty.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Correct, well done.
                          I used to like my steaks that way, but I'm finding them to be more flavorful in the medium doneness range.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            I used to like my steaks that way, but I'm finding them to be more flavorful in the medium doneness range.
                            So do I. A nice thick fillet steak is a rare and wonderful treat hereabouts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Medium rare is the best.

When I was young I didn't like steak. It was nothing but a flavorless, shoe-leather tough slab of meat that left me with tired jaws from never-ending chewing. That was because Mom insisted on cooking steaks well done and then letting them cook another 5 or ten minutes just to be sure.

When I got older I discovered just how good a medium rare Ribeye is

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                So do I. A nice thick fillet steak is a rare and wonderful treat hereabouts.
                                Well, I'm not into the rare steaks, I'm more a fan of medium -- but those medium steaks shouldn't be so rare, especially on a Texas grill!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment