Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Remember the photoshopping during Arab/Israeli conflicts where smoke plumes were added? And it was so poorly done, because the smoke plumes were identical.
    THAT would be an example of inappropriate "staging" of the news.

Meanwhile - this is a prime example of an exchange in which it is unlikely that views (on either side) are going to be changed. I believe I have the facts on my side and that the right is blowing a non-issue all out of proportion to support their "fake news" narrative. You believe I am ignoring an obvious example of "fake news" and "handwaving it away." History suggests no amount of discussion will change this dynamic, so I'll leave the last word to y'all.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-15-2019, 08:05 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      ...so I'll leave the last word to y'all.
      You realize you owe me 50 cents every time you say that, yes?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

THAT would be an example of inappropriate "staging" of the news.
        Carpe, whenever the news "reporters" become part of the story, it's problematic.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is a news organization's responsibility to report the story. The story was that Muslims were gathering to protest ISIS. They didn't round up the Muslims. They didn't make the signs. They didn't hand them a script. As far as I have been able to tell, they asked them to relocate for lighting and audio purposes, so they could be interviewed. This is common practice, and the right is making scads of hay with it - to the other people in their own echo chamber. The rest of us just aren't buying it.
          Moving someone to a better location for an interview is fine. Rearranging the participants in a protest to make the crowd look larger and coaching them how to act when the camera rolls is not.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Moving someone to a better location for an interview is fine. Rearranging the participants in a protest to make the crowd look larger and coaching them how to act when the camera rolls is not.
            You must be speaking of FOX News, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Actually, he's referring to the very incident Carpe was defending - it was CNN.

Comment

Right - because the police are absolutely there to put together a news story to be broadcast via video and audio, and would have every reason to be concerned abut lighting, audio, etc.
                The police are there to document the event - this is the investigative portion of the process. A real journalist would also be there to document the event. Not stage it.

CP - you're comparing apples to oranges here. Some part of you HAS to know that...
                You might wanna back off those 'condescending jerk' pills.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Show us where fox has ever done that.

Re: the discussion well since the discussion was about one of the instances CNN has been caught staging things, one wonders if you even bothered to read this thread or just the read the headline as you usually do for information you read on the internet.

Comment

Yeah...sorry, Teal - but I'm not buying it. This looks and smells like Trump's base jumping on the "fake news express" and ignoring the facts on the ground.
                    Yeah, we've come to expect you to wear blinders, no matter what the evidence.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Yeah, we've come to expect you to wear blinders, no matter what the evidence.
                      As with CP, this seems to be descending into personal attacks, so I'll leave the last word to you.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

As with CP, this seems to be descending into personal attacks, so I'll leave the last word to you.
                        Word!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• CNN contributor Richard Spencer

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah - the article from a perfectly neutral source (said with some irony). Sorry, Sparko - this is just not a conspiracy theory bandwagon I am going to jump on. If you wish to, so be it. But at least you folks answered my original question. As it turns out, I didn't miss anything after all.
                            wow carp. You can SEE the photos, right? How reporters took a handful of protestors and turned them into a crowd for their story by staging and cropping the photos just right?

Your denial in the face of indisputable evidence shows how biased you are in regards to this. You can wave away photographic evidence as a "conspiracy theory bandwagon"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              wow carp. You can SEE the photos, right? How reporters took a handful of protestors and turned them into a crowd for their story by staging and cropping the photos just right?

Your denial in the face of indisputable evidence shows how biased you are in regards to this. You can wave away photographic evidence as a "conspiracy theory bandwagon"
                              How could bystanders NOT think - hey, they're helping us out, let ME get into that shot! CNN was clearly aiding and abetting the protesters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                How could bystanders NOT think - hey, they're helping us out, let ME get into that shot! CNN was clearly aiding and abetting the protesters.
                                Of course they were. Any local news crew would probably have been fired if the news director caught them pulling the same stunt.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment