Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: CNN Ratings Collapse

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    What synonyms for incompetent and inept would you have preferred he have used? And would they be any less insulting?

I am not sure that an honest assessment of incompetent or inept has a 'diplomatic' form that is accurate, but I'll be interested in knowing what you think that would be.

Jim
    I suppose the real question is, what useful information did this "diplomat" think he was conveying to his bosses? What was the anticipated result other than to encourage them to treat the leader of an allied nation with hostility and contempt? They say that the definition of "diplomacy" is the art of letting the other guy have your way, and based on at least this memo, this "diplomat" sounds profoundly bad at his job.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I suppose the real question is, what useful information did this "diplomat" think he was conveying to his bosses? What was the anticipated result other than to encourage them to treat the leader of an allied nation with hostility and contempt? They say that the definition of "diplomacy" is the art of letting the other guy have your way, and based on at least this memo, this "diplomat" sounds profoundly bad at his job.
    If the leader of the free nation is inept or incompetent, then the UK needs to be careful what information it shares with him and his staff. You may be insulted by the idea Trump is inept or incompetent, and he may not be, but that doesn't change the fact that the UK needs to know if that is the case, and they pay that ambassador to make sure they know about it if that is the case. OTOH, if his reports contain unsubstantiated personal opinion rather that what the UK sees are accurate assessments, he won't be long for the job. They need accurate information so they can understand how to interact with the US and with Trump. If this Ambassador can't or won't provide that, there are plenty of people that will.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Plus the ambassadors from the US to other countries would be using similar frank language when reporting back to POTUS, and Trump himself would have read many similar reports from his ambassadors to other countries as they pass his desk. I doubt this assessment of the current US administration is unique to him or the UK, and I say this knowing full well that ambassadors reporting back to their countries about the current UK administration would be equally frank. Unfortunately you're not the only country currently embarrassing itself on the world stage

4. Amen oxmixmudd, Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The discussion at the moment is more about the leak itself, rather than its contents, not that they aren't embarrassing, but it's generally accepted that ambassadors reports to their home countries are for their eyes only.

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thread title: CNN ratings

Last several posts: Trump and UK ambassador...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

7. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Yes, let's please get back on topic.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post

I think it started with the caveat "... as reported by CNN" which tied it back to the op, but which led to the current discussion.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    What synonyms for incompetent and inept would you have preferred he have used? And would they be any less insulting?

I am not sure that an honest assessment of incompetent or inept has a 'diplomatic' form that is accurate, but I'll be interested in knowing what you think that would be.

Jim
    "We have some serious concerns as Bob does not seem fully up to speed with regards to policy."

"There may be some issue with regards to Bob's understanding of policy."

"We are concerned at Bob's lack of preparedness regarding the policy meeting."

And so on - not rocket science to just not sound like a jerk.

Being tactful is at the core of being a diplomat. Being unable, as opposed to unwilling, brings the Ambassador's qualifications into question. Being unwilling brings his fitness to serve into question.

This kind of rookie mistake is not even slightly okay in any competent diplomatic corps.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    The discussion at the moment is more about the leak itself, rather than its contents, not that they aren't embarrassing, but it's generally accepted that ambassadors reports to their home countries are for their eyes only.
    Sure, but he still comes off as a jerk and it makes the UK's diplomats look bad.

Always use your sweet words - ya never know when you may have to eat them.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The irony of somebody who by and large supports Trump criticizing someone else for poor diplomacy is not lost on me.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill