Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 468

Thread: CNN Ratings Collapse

  1. #331
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,784
    Amen (Given)
    262
    Amen (Received)
    1448
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    That's like saying, "Do you think political cartoons about Obama wouldn't exist if he wasn't universally despised?"

    Come on, man, you're smarter than this.
    No - it's not like saying that - and you would understand why that is so if you could face the reality of who Trump is as the world sees him.

    Again, the ambassador's cable was just one of many, perhaps most.


    Jim
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

  2. #332
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,784
    Amen (Given)
    262
    Amen (Received)
    1448
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    I'd add that the current US administration is hardly going to be the only world government with ambassadors reporting back to their home countries with frank feedback. It isn't a necessarily anti-Trump thing, though it happened to be in this leak. I imagine Woody is being frank when he reports back to the US on current goings on in the UK for example.
    Yes - I am not saying Trump is the only leader getting slammed in communique's back home. But I am saying that Trump is a leader that is widely regarded as inept and that the UK ambassadors assessment of him was not by any means unique nor does it represent merely a petty jab at the man.

    Jim
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

  3. #333
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,950
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5502
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    ...the ambassador's cable was just one of many, perhaps most.
    Objection! The conclusion is not supported by the facts!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  4. #334
    tWebber EvoUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    657
    Amen (Given)
    67
    Amen (Received)
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Yes - I am not saying Trump is the only leader getting slammed in communique's back home. But I am saying that Trump is a leader that is widely regarded as inept and that the UK ambassadors assessment of him was not by any means unique nor does it represent merely a petty jab at the man.

    Jim
    well, it's true that no one was much bothered by what had been leaked. Darroch had only reported back what had long been obvious to the entire world: it was the sort of email that anyone might send after watching the news headlines on American television.

    But I was just pointing out that this wasn't a uniquely American or Trump attack, but that it was the sort of thing that happens regularly and is generally accepted as such by world leaders - after all, they'd be reading similar reports from their own ambassadors on a fairly regular basis.

    I got the impression that a lot of the posts above are a reaction to the fact that i was released about their country, and are therefore slightly offended. As to who leaked it, I'm guessing it was an inside job to undermine a civil servant known to have reservations about Brexit and to put more of a yes-man into Washington ready for any 'deals' which we will be forced to make from a weak and desperate position if and when we leave the EU. The current UK government is quite leaky - more so than it has been in its history. Yet another thing to be ashamed about tbh.

  5. #335
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,043
    Amen (Given)
    6500
    Amen (Received)
    4778
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    I'd add that the current US administration is hardly going to be the only world government with ambassadors reporting back to their home countries with frank feedback. It isn't a necessarily anti-Trump thing, though it happened to be in this leak. I imagine Woody is being frank when he reports back to the US on current goings on in the UK for example.
    I still think its moronic for a diplomat to put derogatory remarks in writing. Being honest doesn't require professional stupidity.

    Would you guys be so blase about this if the comments leaked were about Premier Li Keqiang? 'Cause China would not take this crap nearly so well...

  6. #336
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,043
    Amen (Given)
    6500
    Amen (Received)
    4778
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    well, it's true that no one was much bothered by what had been leaked. Darroch had only reported back what had long been obvious to the entire world: it was the sort of email that anyone might send after watching the news headlines on American television.

    But I was just pointing out that this wasn't a uniquely American or Trump attack, but that it was the sort of thing that happens regularly and is generally accepted as such by world leaders - after all, they'd be reading similar reports from their own ambassadors on a fairly regular basis.

    I got the impression that a lot of the posts above are a reaction to the fact that i was released about their country, and are therefore slightly offended. As to who leaked it, I'm guessing it was an inside job to undermine a civil servant known to have reservations about Brexit and to put more of a yes-man into Washington ready for any 'deals' which we will be forced to make from a weak and desperate position if and when we leave the EU. The current UK government is quite leaky - more so than it has been in its history. Yet another thing to be ashamed about tbh.
    I agree with about 90% of that.

  7. #337
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,950
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5502
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    ...it was the sort of email that anyone might send after watching the news headlines on American television.
    Which is probably why it sounded like a Democrat talking points memo rather than the objective analysis of a seasoned political insider. If it's common practice for ambassadors to simply crib from the media headlines then it seems it's a rather useless position. I mean, do their bosses not have access to the news?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  8. #338
    tWebber EvoUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    657
    Amen (Given)
    67
    Amen (Received)
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I still think its moronic for a diplomat to put derogatory remarks in writing. Being honest doesn't require professional stupidity.

    Would you guys be so blase about this if the comments leaked were about Premier Li Keqiang? 'Cause China would not take this crap nearly so well...
    Blasé about what was written? Yes. Blasé about it being leaked, no, nor should they be. And I wouldn't describe his temper tantrum as taking it well either.

  9. #339
    tWebber EvoUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    657
    Amen (Given)
    67
    Amen (Received)
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Which is probably why it sounded like a Democrat talking points memo rather than the objective analysis of a seasoned political insider. If it's common practice for ambassadors to simply crib from the media headlines then it seems it's a rather useless position. I mean, do their bosses not have access to the news?
    You like Trump, I get it. I was merely pointing out that it was something that is understood to occur on a regular basis - frank information that is for their eyes only which is embarrassing if leaked. As for its contents, no one was that shocked by it on the world stage nor amongst ambassadors.

    What use was it? That depends on who it was meant for what what use they'd put it to, it would be odd to speculate.

  10. #340
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,210
    Amen (Given)
    25
    Amen (Received)
    1076
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You must have.
    So....citations...?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •