Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not so much. It was clearly written by someone who allowed his petty personal differences to get in the way of his professional objectivity. The memo had s very juvenile "Dear Diary" vibe to it. If that's the quality of work he has been producing throughout his career then I'm a little surprised he wasn't fired long before this.
    That's simply because you don't like or agree with the ambassadors assessment. There is not a good way to put that assessment and no matter what words he used to define Trump and his enept, insecure, and incompetent administration, you'd of had the same reaction.
    Last edited by JimL; 07-10-2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      That's simply because you don't like or agree with the ambassadors assessment. There is not a good way to put that assessment and no matter what words he used to define Trump and his enept, insecure, and incompetent administration, you'd of had the same reaction.
      So you're saying that there is no way he could have written a petty and deliberately insulting memo without it sounding petty and deliberately insulting.

By the way, part of the reason he resigned is because the incoming PM refused to defend this "diplomat's" unprofessional conduct. Good for the new PM!
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        So you're saying that there is no way he could have written a petty and deliberately insulting memo without it sounding petty and deliberately insulting.

By the way, part of the reason he resigned is because the incoming PM refused to defend this "diplomat's" unprofessional conduct. Good for the new PM!

We know you are trolling. Please desist immediately.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Iron E.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I used to like my steaks that way, but I'm finding them to be more flavorful in the medium doneness range.
            You should try them in the "tartar" range...

Michel's collected euphamisms for "very rare:"
            • Cook it so a good vet could bring it back!
            • I want to wrestle it for my fries.
            • Whack off the horns, wipe it's butt, and slap it on a plate!
            • Only Sanders should be bluer!
            • Just walk the cow past the grill.
            • It should still have a blood pressure.
            • Like a good political commentator!
            • Like a true statement by Trump.
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-11-2019, 06:05 AM.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Boris under fire.

Although he defended the civil service during Tuesday's ITV leaders' debate, Mr Johnson conspicuously refused to back Sir Kim.

This went down badly with many MPs, even before it emerged Sir Kim had quit.

The suggestion that Mr Johnson's lukewarm endorsement may have contributed to the veteran diplomat's decision to stand down has turned that dismay into visceral anger.
              Amazingly, it’s probably more unsettling to be a Brit than a Yank just now, even though you’ve got the Master of Disaster in the White House!

For many in Westminster, the shocking element to Sir Kim Darroch’s cables is not their contents – which echo the views of many Washington-watchers on the nature of Donald Trump’s administration – but the fact they have become public.

The big questions being asked are: who leaked extracts from the ambassador’s communications and why? The memos are believed to have been distributed among as many as 100 senior politicians and civil servants in departments across Whitehall, making it difficult for the leak inquiry immediately to identify a source.

What does the Remain parties’ pact for the Brecon by-election mean?

Tory leadership rivals are battling over a dwindling number of voters

Does Brexit make Scottish independence more likely?
              But the “diptels” – diplomatic telegrams – quoted by the Mail on Sunday cover a lengthy period, spanning from Trump’s inauguration in 2017 to his recent state visit to the UK and the aborted airstrikes targeted on Iran last month.

Whoever passed the documents to the journalist Isabel Oakeshott would have to have had access to memos on a wide range of subjects during the periods in office under the foreign secretaries Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt, considerably narrowing down the potential range of suspects.

Downing Street said there was “nothing to suggest” hostile state actors were involved in the leak. And cabinet minister Liam Fox appeared to discount the possibility that official email systems could have been hacked, pointing the finger of blame for the leak firmly at “either our civil service or elements of our political class”.

Speculation is rife in Westminster that the unprecedented incident may have been an attempt to undermine the strongly Europhile ambassador in order to clear the way for the incoming prime minister – probably Johnson – to appoint a more pro-Trump and pro-Brexit successor.

Britain’s ambassador to the US, Sir Kim Darroch (Getty)
              Oakeshott has strong ties with prominent Brexiteers, having ghostwritten an account of the 2016 referendum by Leave.EU founder Arron Banks. Darroch has come under criticism from some quarters for being insufficiently positive in pushing the opportunities which Brexiteers believe UK withdrawal from the EU will offer in terms of strengthening relations and trade with the US.

Some believe the security breach will make it easier for Johnson to block a mooted move by the current cabinet secretary Sir Mark Sedwill to Washington and appoint a new envoy more in line with his Atlanticist views. Others have suggested the leak may have come from a supporter of Brexit who found him or herself isolated within a senior civil service which is widely suspected of being heavily supportive of continued EU membership.

In an intriguing tweet, Oakeshott quoted the Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage as saying the leak happened because of “too many civil servants rubbishing Brexit”, before she added the comment: “Sounds about right.”
              Last edited by firstfloor; 07-11-2019, 07:28 AM.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                ...you’ve got the Master of Disaster in the White House!
                You're a bit behind. Obama left the White House nearly three years ago.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm gonna axe my brudder to put up that metal E thing.

ETA: he such a good boy!!!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Et tu Brute?

Comment

Et tu Brute?
                      Sorry, you weren't supposed to see that.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you offer me a dog treat again I swear I will shoot you.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Jake just looked up at me and said, "say WHAT?"

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Rogues don't know they aren't bacon.

Comment

Jake just looked up at me and said, "say WHAT?"
                              At which part? The shootin' or the treat?

Comment

Sorry, you weren't supposed to see that.
                                I forgot I did already.

Comment