Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN Continues Ratings Plunge

I still say we oughta hook a generator to this puppy!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      CNN Continues Ratings Plunge

I still say we oughta hook a generator to this puppy!
      I don't think it would help, and I have a theory as to why.

In 2016, there were several politically-oriented websites that sprang up with one "fake news" story after another. The sites were basically "click-bait" sites. My understanding is that, originally, the people launching these sites (some of them were Macedonian teenagers) had a roughly equal number of fake Trump stories and fake Clinton stories. Within a fairly short period of time, the fake Trump stories (on these sites) almost completely disappeared. When these people were identified and they were asked why they focused strongly on Clinton stories, their answer was simple: it got them more clicks and more ad dollars. Apparently there is a greater propensity to accept and share these stories by those on the right than there is by those on the left. This has been verified by numerous studies since. Supply and demand - these people went where the dollars were and churned out fake story after fake story about Clinton.

I theorize the same thing is happening in the cable news space. Fox has shown itself to be the mouthpiece of this presidency - and the right is eating it up. Fox ratings have never been higher. CNN has been (for a few years now) trying to copy the Fox business model and essentially making themselves the "fox of the left." But I think the left is less interested in that kind of reporting and is abandoning them for less vitriolic and obviously skewed reporting, putting CNN on life support: the right hates them, moderates are abandoning them, leaving them with only the most left-leaning audience. Of course, in the "age of Trump," polarization has become even more extreme, so their audience would not be likely to dry up completely. However, I predict it will tend further and further left and CNN will follow them. It would not surprise me to find them be the cable news equivalent of Breitbart (but skewed left) before too long.

It's just a theory, mind you, but one that fits the available facts. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I am one of those who no longer watches CNN (or Fox). I'll read some of their news stories online, but I'm very careful with both due to the extreme spin each of them puts to the left (and right).
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 07-11-2019, 08:02 PM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

In 2016, there were several politically-oriented websites that sprang up with one "fake news" story after another. The sites were basically "click-bait" sites. My understanding is that, originally, the people launching these sites (some of them were Macedonian teenagers) had a roughly equal number of fake Trump stories and fake Clinton stories. Within a fairly short period of time, the fake Trump stories (on these sites) almost completely disappeared. When these people were identified and they were asked why they focused strongly on Clinton stories, their answer was simple: it got them more clicks and more ad dollars. Apparently there is a greater propensity to accept and share these stories by those on the right than there is by those on the left. This has been verified by numerous studies since. Supply and demand - these people went where the dollars were and churned out fake story after fake story about Clinton.

I theorize the same thing is happening in the cable news space. Fox has shown itself to be the mouthpiece of this presidency - and the right is eating it up. Fox ratings have never been higher. CNN has been (for a few years now) trying to copy the Fox business model and essentially making themselves the "fox of the left." But I think the left is less interested in that kind of reporting and is abandoning them for less vitriolic and obviously skewed reporting, putting CNN on life support: the right hates them, moderates are abandoning them, leaving them with only the most left-leaning audience. Of course, in the "age of Trump," polarization has become even more extreme, so their audience would not be likely to dry up completely. However, I predict it will tend further and further left and CNN will follow them. It would not surprise me to find them be the cable news equivalent of Breitbart (but skewed left) before too long.

It's just a theory, mind you, but one that fits the available facts. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I am one of those who no longer watches CNN (or Fox). I'll read some of their news stories online, but I'm very careful with both due to the extreme spin each of them puts to the left (and right).
        Often, the simplest explanation is the best. CNN sucks at actually reporting the news.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Often, the simplest explanation is the best. CNN sucks at actually reporting the news.
          His explanation makes Democrats (and, purely coincidentally, himself) look more virtuous. I'm guessing he'll roll with that.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You left out the fact that this recent fall was precipitated by the release of the Mueller report - and that both CNN and MSNBC fell sharply immediately thereafter.

It's like people don't like being lied to or something...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              You left out the fact that this recent fall was precipitated by the release of the Mueller report - and that both CNN and MSNBC fell sharply immediately thereafter.

It's like people don't like being lied to or something...
              Lied to?
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Lied to?
                You know, like being told that Trump undeniably colluded with the Russians and his impeachment for it was inevitable. Or "bombshell" after "bombshell" being released that had no basis in fact. And then in the end finding out that none of it was true. What everyone was being told was utterly false.

But I'm sure for you that is nothing but a right wing meme for you to hand wave away since that is pretty much what you do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  You know, like being told that Trump undeniably colluded with the Russians and his impeachment for it was inevitable. Or "bombshell" after "bombshell" being released that had no basis in fact. And then in the end finding out that none of it was true. What everyone was being told was utterly false.
                  So can you point me to which news story(ies) from CNN or any of the other new outlets were shown to be an intentional falsehood? I must have missed them.

Comment

What a load of self-serving bull manure.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

But I'm sure for you that is nothing but a right wing meme for you to hand wave away since that is pretty much what you do.
                      Just a little reminder since it appears you have a rather one-sided reading of Muellers conclusions and forget the part about obstruction of justice:

However, the special counsel refused to exonerate Trump on the charge. “If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state,” Mueller wrote in his conclusion.

He added: “Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgement.” https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ion-of-justice
                      Anyway I am looking forward to seeing you provide evidence for your claims above.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        Just a little reminder since it appears you have a rather one-sided reading of Muellers conclusions and forget the part about obstruction of justice:
                        Poor Chuck. Incapable of understanding that it was not Mueller's (or any Special Counsel or prosecutor) job to render a verdict but to decide on whether or not there is enough evidence to seek and indictment. He determined that there wasn't any in spite of whatever petulant, partisan cheap shot he decided to cloak it in.
                        Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        Anyway I am looking forward to seeing you provide evidence for your claims above.
                        A short video by Glenn Greenwald of reporters, anchors and the like on news programs along with a few Democratic politicians declaring over and over the end of the Trump presidency over various "bombshells" in the Russia investigation. At 2½ minutes it is far more time than you deserve.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...346496?lang=en

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Poor Chuck. Incapable of understanding that it was not Mueller's (or any Special Counsel or prosecutor) job to render a verdict but to decide on whether or not there is enough evidence to seek and indictment. He determined that there wasn't any in spite of whatever petulant, partisan cheap shot he decided to cloak it in.
                          '

So you remain one-sided though I provided the quote. Your choice.

A short video by Glenn Greenwald of reporters, anchors and the like on news programs along with a few Democratic politicians declaring over and over the end of the Trump presidency over various "bombshells" in the Russia investigation. At 2½ minutes it is far more time than you deserve.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...346496?lang=en[/QUOTE]

Yep. There are many such statements and in the short video they are taken out of context so we don't know how they would stand against what we know now, what was known at the time and so on. It takes a lot more to establish that those statements were lies.

Anyway it seems a man who tends to lie a lot and whom you seemingly support actually shared the opinions of those you like to criticise:

When Jeff Sessions, then the attorney general, shared the news in the Oval Office, the president slumped in his chair. “Oh my God,” he said, according to the report. “This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency,” he said, adding an expletive. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/u...ncy-trump.html
                          So, was Trump lying?
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            So, was Trump lying?
                            It's not Trump who is lying but the New York Times with another unfounded "sources say" story.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              It's not Trump who is lying but the New York Times with another unfounded "sources say" story.
                              Until the Trump White House and the "fake news" mantra, "sources say" was a common journalism tool fairly readily accepted. If every source is required to identify themselves, the flow of information from within the halls of government would likely dry up. There is even law protecting a journalist from revealing their sources, because of the importance the 4th estate plays in the democratic process and in shining a light on the government and its workings.

But, as with so many things, Trump has turned a "good thing" into a "bad thing" with his regular lying and rallying of his base. So now the norm is to mistrust/discount every news story if it doesn't come from one's "selected" information sources. Every mistake made, even when owned and steps taken to make amends, is pointed to as "yet another example of fake news."

I have to wonder how many people truly grasp the dangerous ground we walk these days as a nation.

And I will be SO happy when he is gone...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                So you're saying that there is no way he could have written a petty and deliberately insulting memo without it sounding petty and deliberately insulting.

By the way, part of the reason he resigned is because the incoming PM refused to defend this "diplomat's" unprofessional conduct. Good for the new PM!
                                I picked this post at random to offer this update. I had said earlier that I would bet there were a lot of memos like the one the UK ambassador sent. That has been confirmed in a photo op with other ambassadors from our allies showing solidarity with their UK counterpart.

Source: CNN

Diplomats from around the world told CNN the image didn't just symbolize solidarity, it also reflected the fact that most embassies have written cables very similar to the private messages -- leaked in an act of political sabotage -- that Darroch had sent to London describing the President and his administration as inept, insecure and incompetent.

© Copyright Original Source

That stark reality is that the memo represents the assessment of the world, not a petty outburst by this ambassador.

Jim
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment