Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Meanwhile...

Can CNN’s Ratings Really Drop Any Further? (Hint: Yes. Yes They Can.)

So, it stands to reason that a cable station that spends most of its time hating on Trump would soar in the ratings.

Think again.

The liberal network CNN plunged to 15th place in primetime over the last three months, losing nearly 20% of its viewership in the process.

The stats are striking when one compares CNN to Fox News. Fox has 2.4 million primetime viewers, CNN just 761,000. Total day numbers: Fox 1.32 million; CNN 541,000. Those numbers equate to a 2% drop for Fox News — but a whopping 18% plunge for CNN.

CNN’s best-rated show was "Cuomo Prime Time," which came in at No. 25, but fell short of a million viewers at 936,000. Anderson Cooper drew 892,000 viewers, Don Lemon 833,000 viewers and Jake Tapper just 699,000.

Meanwhile, Rachel Maddow's ratings at MSNBC have also plunged. The liberal hostess pushed the Russia-Trump collusion for more than two years, but special counsel Robert Mueller’s report said there was insufficient evidence to prove the charge.

In May, Maddow’s show suffered its worst ratings since Trump took office, losing 500,000 viewers, Fox News reported.

There appears to be a direct connection to the Mueller report, which was released April 18. In the first quarter of 2019, Maddow averaged 3.1 million viewers each night. But in May, she averaged just 2.6 million viewers.

“Maddow lost nearly 500,000 viewers for her first episode following the release of Barr’s letter,” Fox reported. “Then she plummeted 13 percent in April compared to the same month in 2018, according to TVNewser, falling behind 'Tucker Carlson Tonight' in the process. In May she averaged 2.6 million – her worst month since Trump took office – and a far cry from the 3.1 million viewers she averaged during the first quarter of 2019.”

Back to CNN, some conservatives who once appeared regularly on the show have been let go, with one complaining that it is now the "hate Trump" network.

So, from the Clinton News Network to the Hate Trump Network.
    Hey! Can we hook up generators to this? CNN may be able to help stop global climate warming change just with its ratings free fall!!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      The irony of somebody who by and large supports Trump criticizing someone else for poor diplomacy is not lost on me.

Still, the primary role of an ambassador to be diplomatic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Still, the primary role of an ambassador to be diplomatic.
        Has anyone read the actual words he used?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...unctional.html

Reading that article it is clear he was not being diplomatic or "factual" he was ranting his opinion.

* Describes bitter conflicts within Trump's White House – verified by his own sources – as 'knife fights';
        * Warns that Trump could have been indebted to 'dodgy Russians';
        * Claims the President's economic policies could wreck the world trade system;
        * Says the scandal-hit Presidency could 'crash and burn' and that 'we could be at the beginning of a downward spiral... that leads to disgrace and downfall'

In reference to Trump's ability to shrug off controversies in a life which has been 'mired in scandal', he says that the President may nonetheless 'emerge from the flames, battered but intact, like [Arnold] Schwarzenegger in the final scenes of The Terminator'.

Such language is not diplomatic, but opinionated and inflammatory.

Comment

• An official government memo making references to Terminator? That comes across as rather unprofessional. What if the reader has never seen that movie and has no idea what he's referring to?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Has anyone read the actual words he used?

Such language is not diplomatic, but opinionated and inflammatory.
            When he is reporting, in private, back to his own side, he is not being “diplomatic“, he is being frank, deliberately, so as to avoid any ambiguity and provide an unvarnished picture of what is going on. The very serious problem in this case is that his messages were leaked – very possibly by a politician rather than a civil servant. The ambassador is not at fault.

It remains to be discovered who leaked, and why.

By saying he won't deal with Sir Kim Darroch any more, Donald Trump is apparently all but declaring the ambassador to be persona non grata. That is the formal legal process by which a host government expels a foreign diplomat.

The key question now is what the president means by the word "deal". If the royal "we" used by Mr Trump means that his entire administration will no longer deal with Sir Kim or any of his staff then the British government may have to decide to fast track the retirement of their man in Washington.

Sir Kim, who is an honourable man and was stepping down anyway in a few months, may decide to resign. If, however, Mr Trump merely means he won't deal personally with Sir Kim then the ambassador may stay on until the new prime minister can make his own appointment.
            - BBC News
            Last edited by firstfloor; 07-08-2019, 04:21 PM.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• The White House will no longer have any dealings with that so-called diplomat:

"“I do not know the Ambassador, but he is not liked or well thought of within the U.S. We will no longer deal with him," the President said.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...dministration/

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                "Sir Kim, who is an honourable man..."

-BBC News
                The word "honorable" must mean something different in the UK than it does in the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  The White House will no longer have any dealings with that so-called diplomat:

"“I do not know the Ambassador, but he is not liked or well thought of within the U.S. We will no longer deal with him," the President said.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...dministration/

This is why diplomats should be careful with their language. One stupid rant and he's effectively lost his job.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    When he is reporting, in private, back to his own side, he is not being “diplomatic“, he is being frank, deliberately, so as to avoid any ambiguity and provide an unvarnished picture of what is going on. The very serious problem in this case is that his messages were leaked – very possibly by a politician rather than a civil servant. The ambassador is not at fault.

It remains to be discovered who leaked, and why.

- BBC News
                    Exactly, that is why we have ambassadors, to frankly report back exactly what they see is going on. The leak is the problem, not the ambassador. But am I surprised at his report? Absolutely not! We don't even need to be that close to see the truth in that report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      This is why diplomats should be careful with their language. One stupid rant and he's effectively lost his job.
                      So Trump exacts his vengence on a person who insulted him.

Who knew?
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Who knew?
                        Do you normally meet with a client and call them names? The ambassador himself, intentionally or not, has soured the working relationship. You wouldn't put up with that nonsense from a used car salesman, why should anyone tolerate it from an ambassador?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Who knew?
                          Vengeance? No. He just doesn't want to deal with someone who obviously holds him in contempt, and why should he be expected to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            An official government memo making references to Terminator? That comes across as rather unprofessional. What if the reader has never seen that movie and has no idea what he's referring to?
                            I'm sure that this was hardly the first time that a cultural reference was included in an official government memo

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Do you normally meet with a client and call them names? The ambassador himself, intentionally or not, has soured the working relationship. You wouldn't put up with that nonsense from a used car salesman, why should anyone tolerate it from an ambassador?
                              This was a private communication between himself and his government. It was not meant for public consumption nor was it meant for Trump to hear.

Someone knew its contents and knew it would be destructive to US, UK relations to reveal it.

So here is a question for you.

Why are you supporting Donald Trump as he joins with the leaker in allowing and encouraging further erosion of relations with one of our most important allies?

Here is another question for you:

What sorts of entities and governments stand to benefit from the erosion of US, UK relations?

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd
                                This was a private communication between himself and his government. It was not meant for public consumption nor was it meant for Trump to hear.

Someone knew its contents and knew it would be destructive US, UK relationsto reveal it.

So here is a question fir you.

Why are you supporting Donald Trump as he joins with the leaker in allowing and encouraging further erosion of relations with one of our most important allies?

Here is another question for you:

What sorts of entities and governments stand to benefit from the erosion of US, UK relations?

Jim
                                Private gossip rarely is. Every diplomat knows full well his work is some other government's intel - and that anything can be leaked.

Only fools ignore facts. There's a huge gulf between malicious sabotage and whistle blowing - but it makes no difference once the truth comes out.

So why are you supporting a demonstrably incompetent foreign ambassador? Why do you support the interests of the UK over the US? It cannot serve the US' interests to keep an ambassador who demonstrates bile toward the administration. Heck, it doesn't serve the UK's interests unless he's a spy or something. Trump saved them the embarrassment of recalling their ambassador.

Several-which is why it's to the UK's advantage to get rid of a compromised diplomat quickly. Trump has given them two outs: refusing to work with the guy making leaving him here pointless and not casting any blame on the UK government.

I get that you hate Trump but no president would or should sit still for that. The guy is lucky - Teddy Roosevelt would have shot him!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment