Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Ratings Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Private gossip rarely is. Every diplomat knows full well his work is some other government's intel - and that anything can be leaked.

Only fools ignore facts. There's a huge gulf between malicious sabotage and whistle blowing - but it makes no difference once the truth comes out.

So why are you supporting a demonstrably incompetent foreign ambassador? Why do you support the interests of the UK over the US? It cannot serve the US' interests to keep an ambassador who demonstrates bile toward the administration. Heck, it doesn't serve the UK's interests unless he's a spy or something. Trump saved them the embarrassment of recalling their ambassador.

Several-which is why it's to the UK's advantage to get rid of a compromised diplomat quickly. Trump has given them two outs: refusing to work with the guy making leaving him here pointless and not casting any blame on the UK government.

I get that you hate Trump but no president would or should sit still for that. The guy is lucky - Teddy Roosevelt would have shot him!
    You have successfully skirted the issue, but the fact remains by allowing this incident to undermine US, UK relations, Trump has acted against the best interests of tte US, the UK, and the free world and played into the lihely intent of the leaker.

What does that make Donald Trump if that is purely accidental on his part?

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      You have successfully skirted the issue, but the fact remains by allowing this incident to undermine US, UK relations, Trump has acted against the best interests of tte US, the UK, and the free world and played into the lihely intent of the leaker.

Jim
      Undermine? As Teal pointed out, Trump graciously provided the Brits ways to extricate themselves from this mess of their own making in a way that allows them to save face.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Jim
        That remains your opinion. My assessment, already outlined, is that Trump has actually minimized the incident without casting doubt on the UK government. It appears deliberate, not accidental, which makes Trump a better president than I thought he'd be.

And it makes me a better ambassador than Mr-Dumb-enough-to-put-insults-in-writing!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• How could Trump's reaction hurt US/UK relations more than that ambassador's reports already were attempting to do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            How could Trump's reaction hurt US/UK relations more than that ambassador's reports already were attempting to do?
            And who would want to hurt US/UK relations?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              Liberals.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                How could Trump's reaction hurt US/UK relations more than that ambassador's reports already were attempting to do?
                First - that ambassador was not trying to hurt US/UK relations - that was a private communication. What the ambassador was trying to do was give a candid assessment of who Trump is and how they should deal with him - which is his job.

How could Trump's reaction hurt relations?

By trying to force the UK to replace an ambassador that:

Source: UK

The UK Prime Minister's spokesman said Monday that Theresa May has "full faith" in Kim Darroch and that providing an "unvarnished assessment" is an ambassador's job.

© Copyright Original Source

By making it more difficult for the UK to get candid assessments from their ambassadors.

which, if Trump's past behavior is any indicator, Trump will escalate as far as is necessary to extract his revenge.

And By confirming the ambassador's warning by dealing with the problem with the maturity level of the baby the famous London balloon depicts.

To be sure, the UK needs to find and expose the leak. Because whoever their ambassador is, they need that person to be able to be frank and honest in their assessments of the state of affairs here in the US.

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-09-2019, 08:17 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

First - that ambassador was not trying to hurt US/UK relations - that was a private communication. What the ambassador was trying to do was give a candid assessment of who Trump is and how they should deal with him - which is his job.

How could Trump's reaction hurt relations?

By trying to force the UK to replace an ambassador that:

Source: UK

The UK Prime Minister's spokesman said Monday that Theresa May has "full faith" in Kim Darroch and that providing an "unvarnished assessment" is an ambassador's job.

© Copyright Original Source

By making it more difficult for the UK to get candid assessments from their ambassadors.

which, if Trump's past behavior is any indicator, Trump will escalate as far as is necessary to extract his revenge.

And By confirming the ambassador's warning by dealing with the problem with the maturity level of the baby the famous London balloon depicts.

To be sure, the UK needs to find and expose the leak. Because whoever their ambassador is, they need that person to be able to be frank and honest in their assessments of the state of affairs here in the US.

Jim
                  Obviously the UK will just replace the ambassador with another one and tell him to be more careful with his wording, try to be a bit more Diplomatic with Trump in public and will try to plug the leak. Problem solved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Liberals.
                    The short list would be the Russians, China, or a Middle eastern Terrorist Group.

But it could be as simple and lame as some selfish jerk in the UK that themselves wants revenge on the ambassador (may someone passed over for the position?).

Lots of possibilities. But Donald Trump can be counted on to put himself and his ego above US/UK relations or US/NATO relations for that matter. So he is a man easily manipulated by a whole host of enemies of freedom and western democratic ideals.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      EU, Russia, China, Iran, North Korea....
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The short list would be the Russians, China, or a Middle eastern Terrorist Group.

But it could be as simple and lame as some selfish jerk in the UK that themselves wants revenge on the ambassador (may someone passed over for the position?).

Lots of possibilities. But Donald Trump can be counted on to put himself and his ego above US/UK relations or US/NATO relations for that matter. So he is a man easily manipulated by a whole host of enemies of freedom and western democratic ideals.

Jim
                        The ambassador became a liability for Britain the moment his comments became public. Trump provided a way for the Brits to remove him and still save face. But somehow it's all Trump's fault. TDS in action.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          EU, Russia, China, Iran, North Korea....
                          EU would be a stretch, but we agree on the rest

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The ambassador became a liability for Britain the moment his comments became public. Trump provided a way for the Brits to remove him and still save face. But somehow it's all Trump's fault. <AH>
                            Yes he did - which would most certainly have been at least on intended consequence of the leaker. What is Trump's fault is taking his bellicose tirade public and trying to publicly shame the UK itself rather than diplomatically work behind the scenes to negotiate a replacement - and hey - publicly join forces with our ALLY and HELP the UK find the leak itself!

Now there is a thought!

Jim

Comment

Jim
                              But he did. He created the document that lead to the incident. Blaming Trump is only slightly less dumb than blaming Pelosi would be. The ambassador, not Trump, caused the incident. Trump, as I stated, gave the UK two outs which helps minimize the incident.

I disliked the Obama admin - but they would have been idiots to tolerate such a thing, and bigger ones to keep working with the guy. In actuality, as much as it galls me, they even occasionally did things right.

What the UK really needs to do is buy their diplomats a thesaurus.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

EU would be a stretch, but we agree on the rest

Jim
                                Nah, the EU tops the list - Brexit, and the UK's history of not following the crowd, have made for considerable tension. Do you really think the EU couldn't have given May a more workable deal? Damaging the US relations that the UK is banking on would delight the EU no end.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment